What's new

Bikepacking

I seem to have bought a tent. Don't have any panniers or anything here, so will have to figure out how to get things to Baird - but got time to figure that out!

Might end up being really cool and doing this on my folding commuter because I have a rack for that. Let's see. Will book a spot on the campsite :)

Will you be going on road or off road from Zushi?

Edit: Campsite is fully booked on the 4th. Up for trying to squeeze - or equally we can do another iteration for late comers in a few weeks time!

Last edited:
Working on setup.
I don't have a proper sleeping bag for bikepacking - so my superwarm and bulky bag will be coming along.
Add to that my tent, pad, etc... lower bags are now full. but that is all the bulky stuff.

Looks pretty cool.

I just got an Aegis Max sleeping bag that packs down pretty small. Relatively cheap for a down bag. It is probably better for spring or summer but might work if the temps aren't too low. Also got a Thermarest NeoAir X-lite to replace my other mats that have gone TU and don't hold air anymore. So... I think I'm all set. Been packing and repacking stuff to get the best distribution of weight. Trying to avoid panniers.

Looking forward to the 4th. Hope it doesn't rain. Fingers crossed.

I seem to have bought a tent. Don't have any panniers or anything here, so will have to figure out how to get things to Baird - but got time to figure that out!

Might end up being really cool and doing this on my folding commuter because I have a rack for that. Let's see. Will book a spot on the campsite :)

Edit: Campsite is fully booked on the 4th. Up for trying to squeeze - or equally we can do another iteration for late comers in a few weeks time!
I have spare panniers if you want

I think I saw there was still an RV spot. Maybe call and ask if you can tent camp there???
We will be rolling on the Road. Only a couple spots on the way are there dirt sections, but nothing a regular bike cannot do.

I just got done with Baird... I have an extra site on the "waiting list" so if anyone cancels I can get first dibs on it.

if you are still interested, let me know so I can message you if I hear there is in fact another site open.

April 4th is coming!

Baird has been cancelled due to "Reasons" - but in the end, we are gonna go somewhere. Leaning toward Yamanakako area.
If you are interested in Joining I need to know ASAP so we can make sure there is room for everyone.
As of now....
1) Me
2) Jared
3) Karl
4) Tomo

I am looking for a campsite now, but it will be all guess work... so expect adventure/surprises and shit happens! :D

Thanks for contacting Baird, @bloaker. That's a shame that they've cancelled - but that means it's still an option for later in the year :)

I'm still in for the 4th...somewhere!

Any opinions on location?
I found one I liked... but booked the weekend I want. ugh

I am actually coming up with nothing but strike outs and I have spent hours on this.
Unless someone can find an option, I think I am going to have to bow out
I am not willing to spend more hours trying to find a spot.

I was just looking for camp spots. Nothing that looked appealing. Did find a hostel room for just 3,600 yen at Fujiyoshida that looks nice but only one room. Also checked the weather. It's looking like there may be a window of cloudy weather on the 4th but it is sandwiched between lots of rain. So, yea, maybe postpone to a later date?

Jared and I may book the last 2 spots at baird and suffer through the weather.
This is just turning out to be much more effort on the planning side than I had anticipated.
I want to do the trip to relax - not stress.

Right. Sounds good. Appreciate the effort. Hard to coordinate for a group of folks given all the variables. Thanks for trying! 🙏

I was psyched for Baird so after that fell through, I booked a room for Wed night in Shuzenji and will be riding down from Odawara. Forecast is for sun and not so much wind. The bikepacking will have to wait till later in the year and it is warmer up in the mountains.

Hey Karl,
I have been doing long and mini bike packing trips since last April. If you want to find free campsites where no booking is needed use this website: https://camp.tabinchuya.com/
the website lists all of the free camping grounds with in a given prefecture. I used them to plan an 8 day bikepacking trip I did last golden week through Gunma, Nagano, Yamanashi and Kanagawa. Unfortunately and regrettably I did not track that trip!
Anyway, If you are looking to do it on the cheap, I could not recommend it more.

Hey Karl,
I have been doing long and mini bike packing trips since last April. If you want to find free campsites where no booking is needed use this website: https://camp.tabinchuya.com/
the website lists all of the free camping grounds with in a given prefecture. I used them to plan an 8 day bikepacking trip I did last golden week through Gunma, Nagano, Yamanashi and Kanagawa. Unfortunately and regrettably I did not track that trip!
Anyway, If you are looking to do it on the cheap, I could not recommend it more.

The website mentions that you need to check into city hall before utilizing most of these sites. Is that a hard requirement?

Back
Top Bottom