What's new

Bikepacking

It sounds like you guys going to have an awesome trip.
With good company any route/plan/goal will turn into a great time.
I'm sure you'll have good fun.

Current plan from Zushi - get up early and meander to Izu. No goal or rush. Just set up camp before dark.
An easy goal for sure.

My crew is leaning toward the 21st. It is the only weekend the three of us are all free.

Just checked with Baird... April 4 is the first weekend with an opening.

Last edited:
If the 21st is the only weekend but Baird's not available till the 4th, then sounds like it would be difficult to do this as a group.

If the 21st is the only weekend but Baird's not available till the 4th, then sounds like it would be difficult to do this as a group.
Working with a japanese friend now on this.
One japanese friend is of the mind it is legal to camp next to the Kano river in several spots.
Trying to get clarifications. If not... well, one buddy is screwed and I am all for April 4th where there are some campsites left.

@Karl - if we can find the regulation that allows us to camp along the river near the brewery, you up for that?
March 21st is the target as the weather looks decent possibly and my guys are free.

April 4 is a go.
Campsites reserved

Sorry. Didn't see your Thursday post about the 21 March option till just now. Either option would work for me. If you have the reservations for the 4th but can't cancel them, then we can go ahead with that, or if you can cancel them and we camp on the 21st, that works too. Just let me know.

21st is now fully booked at Baird. So we are on for April 4.
I have two 3x3m sites for 3 of us. Should be good to go.
I anyone else wants to join, we can grab another spot if still available.

where is everyone starting their rides at for this trip?

if you don't mind a bikepacking noobie, i'd like to join

I am starting with one other in Zushi Saturday morning.
I don't mind if anyone tags along, we plan to roll slow and enjoy the trip there.
Be sure to reserve an additional camping spot on their site. If one isn't available, we can try and squeeze 4 tents into our space.

BTW - This has not been designated some exclusive list. Anyone who is game for social and beer time is welcomed as far as I am concerned. This is an excuse to get some fresh air and a new to me route.

Oh shoot, I did not realize how far out this is. For some reason I was thinking this was going to be in the chichibu area. I probably will not be able to join 😅

this thing around km 90 overlooking the valley is like 5 star camping spot. by the looks of it, it should be able to fit 2 tents for single person in there. could be one option, and it took me like 30 sec to locate ;)

View attachment 19591
Love how a ton on money is spent on these places then absolutely nothing on maintenance, cleaning, and basic weed whacking. Good little camping spot but wonder how many cars come through there.

Since I've bough all of the gear (I still have no idea) I think these next few weeks of time off with the coronavirus work from home/time off will be a good chance to go bike packing for me and get out of the house/avoid crowds.

Love the idea of Okutama. Currently checking for guerrilla camping spots on google maps & street view. I reckon I'd take some food with me from a convenience store to save the hassle of cooking, and the weight of cooking gear. I've got the tent, sleeping bag & bike packing bags so about time I put them to use.

Since I've bough all of the gear (I still have no idea) I think these next few weeks of time off with the coronavirus work from home/time off will be a good chance to go bike packing for me and get out of the house/avoid crowds.

Love the idea of Okutama. Currently checking for guerrilla camping spots on google maps & street view. I reckon I'd take some food with me from a convenience store to save the hassle of cooking, and the weight of cooking gear. I've got the tent, sleeping bag & bike packing bags so about time I put them to use.
There are definitely a few seldom used mountain roads that have random clearings. I'll occasionally see families having picnics and stuff.

Working on setup.
I don't have a proper sleeping bag for bikepacking - so my superwarm and bulky bag will be coming along.
Add to that my tent, pad, etc... lower bags are now full. but that is all the bulky stuff.

f1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom