What's new

Bikepacking

I used to use a rack and panniers but if I pack lighter and take just the essentials, most everything fits in the saddle bag and handlebar roll. I still like to use a small pack (Deuter Ultraride 6) for water and valuables. Saves me having to detach frame bags when I run into a convenience store. I barely notice the weight of the pack at all. I prefer that to having bags on the top tube. But, to each his/her own. Everyone has their own idea about what's best. Whatever works.

Last year I did an overnighter on the Izu peninsula. I figured I'd try some stealth camping. Unfortunately, with all the tall grass just off the road, it was hard to find a place that wasn't either on some farmer's land and clearly visible, or some place that would have been really difficult to pitch a tent. Next time, I'll reserve a campsite so I can be certain of having a place. I notice a lot of folks doing stealth camping, but for me, I'd rather not have to worry about finding a suitable 'stealthy' place.

I used to use a rack and panniers but if I pack lighter and take just the essentials, most everything fits in the saddle bag and handlebar roll. I still like to use a small pack (Deuter Ultraride 6) for water and valuables. Saves me having to detach frame bags when I run into a convenience store. I barely notice the weight of the pack at all. I prefer that to having bags on the top tube. But, to each his/her own. Everyone has their own idea about what's best. Whatever works.

Last year I did an overnighter on the Izu peninsula. I figured I'd try some stealth camping. Unfortunately, with all the tall grass just off the road, it was hard to find a place that wasn't either on some farmer's land and clearly visible, or some place that would have been really difficult to pitch a tent. Next time, I'll reserve a campsite so I can be certain of having a place. I notice a lot of folks doing stealth camping, but for me, I'd rather not have to worry about finding a suitable 'stealthy' place.
I like the idea of going off road and finding a place to pitch a tent. Reserving a place, even though I have done it with my son is less adventurous. I think in a previous post or posts, they have pitched tents where they see fit.

I would also love to do bikepacking. Having done some serious Alpine mountaineering this past winter/spring, I already have most of the gear. Because I already have backpacks of various sizes, and don't have any bike bags, I'd try it with a backpack first. I have done 2 day rides with backpacks before (once carrying two, mine and ex GFs one) and was OK so I guess it can be done - though I can definitely see the benefit of having it all strapped to the bike if you can pull it off.

I would have to say planning is essential. Depending on where you go, you can find yourself simply unable to find a decent campsite and out of time in the evening. You want proximity to water if possible, some wind protection, some way to secure the tents (trees, rocks nearby etc), flat non-occupied land first and foremost, and it is not a given these will be plentiful wherever you find yourself in your hour of need. I for one would not wanna do the cooking part, because of everything it involves. I've had enough of it this winter. I'd plan a late evening pass by a convini for dinner, and would get breakfast stuff there as well, before going for the campsite. My ideal outing would be just one night in the wilderness, more than that and it gets progressively more difficult to arrange and execute. My 2 jpy

@luka "Depending on where you go, you can find yourself simply unable to find a decent campsite and out of time in the evening."

I agree with you on this. Maybe it works out that folks can find a good stealth campsite when they need it, but if it doesn't, whatcha gonna do? Course, as TokyoLiving says, some people enjoy the challenge of it.

Maybe a hydro/camel thing would be okay, but my take--I'm not gonna carry anything else on my back.

Of course carry a backpack can be done on a bike. I could do it with shopping bags hanging off my handlebar drops if I really needed to. The way I see it, why would I want to strap 10kg of weight on my shoulders. I've done lots of hiking in the Japanese mountains from one night stays to 6-7 day traverses in both summer and winter so I've carried anything from around 10kg to 35kgs and not once have I thought the weight on my shoulders didn't matter. I hate having stuff hanging off my shoulders especially in this heat. Couldn't imagine how sweaty my back would get. And if you are doing it in the winter to keep your back warm, you'd probably need to double your backpack size /weight to fit the extra warm gear (clothes, sleeping bag etc) in there.

Anyway, I'm off now to sell my road bike and gravel bike as I see no point in having them. I can do all this cycling on a mamachari and save myself a huge chunk of cash, plus it has a basket for my backpack just in case my shoulders hurt 😜

why would I want to strap 10kg of weight on my shoulders

Because I already have backpacks of various sizes, and don't have any bike bags, I'd try it with a backpack first. ...
though I can definitely see the benefit of having it all strapped to the bike if you can pull it off.

I might do one or two of these trips a year, and don't really need all those bags laying about unused for 99.9% of the time

Of course carry a backpack can be done on a bike. I could do it with shopping bags hanging off my handlebar drops if I really needed to. The way I see it, why would I want to strap 10kg of weight on my shoulders. I've done lots of hiking in the Japanese mountains from one night stays to 6-7 day traverses in both summer and winter so I've carried anything from around 10kg to 35kgs and not once have I thought the weight on my shoulders didn't matter. I hate having stuff hanging off my shoulders especially in this heat. Couldn't imagine how sweaty my back would get.
Perhaps it is just down to the type of riding you do and I used to do: if you are doing proper MTBing, having stuff on the bike in panniers or so is just not an option. You can do simple forest roads or fire roads, sure. So I am sure I prefer backpacks, because that's what I am used to. Plus, I use at least the large backpack at least 5 days a week, so it is really has been a worthwhile investment for me. I'm not sure I'd use panniers or other types of bike bags that often, and I'd be reluctant to buy stuff I use only a few times per year max.
And if you are doing it in the winter to keep your back warm, you'd probably need to double your backpack size /weight to fit the extra warm gear (clothes, sleeping bag etc) in there.
Not really: I have a small pack (12 liters) and a large one (28 liters). If it is really cold, I can actually make do with the small one, because then I wear my softshell jacket right from the start. I usually pack a second base layer (so that I can exchange my sweaty, wet one for a dry one), a second pair of socks, plastic bags (to wrap my feet around) and sometimes an extra pair of gloves. It gets cumbersome in the transition period when it is quite cold in the mountains but a-ok closer to the sea. The 12 liter backpack definitely gets very crammed then, but that's mostly volume, not weight, so I just squeeze and massage my main storage compartment for a minute or so until it closes.

Regarding warmth, the backpack is usually just a plus then, not my way of keeping me warm. It is just nice that at least my back is toasty when my fingers feel as if they are freezing off. :)

Perhaps it is just down to the type of riding you do and I used to do: if you are doing proper MTBing, having stuff on the bike in panniers or so is just not an option. You can do simple forest roads or fire roads, sure. So I am sure I prefer backpacks, because that's what I am used to. Plus, I use at least the large backpack at least 5 days a week, so it is really has been a worthwhile investment for me. I'm not sure I'd use panniers or other types of bike bags that often, and I'd be reluctant to buy stuff I use only a few times per year max.

Not really: I have a small pack (12 liters) and a large one (28 liters). If it is really cold, I can actually make do with the small one, because then I wear my softshell jacket right from the start. I usually pack a second base layer (so that I can exchange my sweaty, wet one for a dry one), a second pair of socks, plastic bags (to wrap my feet around) and sometimes an extra pair of gloves. It gets cumbersome in the transition period when it is quite cold in the mountains but a-ok closer to the sea. The 12 liter backpack definitely gets very crammed then, but that's mostly volume, not weight, so I just squeeze and massage my main storage compartment for a minute or so until it closes.

Regarding warmth, the backpack is usually just a plus then, not my way of keeping me warm. It is just nice that at least my back is toasty when my fingers feel as if they are freezing off. :)

Don't you live in Sendai. I'd love to see you go bikepacking in the winter and camping out with only the stuff you can fit in a 12litre backpack. You'd freeze to death at night. I was under the impression that Sendai was crazy cold through the winter. Perhaps I'm wrong. I'd struggle to just fit my winter sleeping bag in a 12 litre backpack, although that beast keeps me toasty down at -30c, here ⬇️
2BA7780D-EC0F-49F0-958A-31B1EB1836C4.jpeg

I think somewhere our wires got crossed. I am using my backpacks for day trips and an occasional non-bike trip where I stay over night somewhere. I am not going hiking with snow boots and sleep in a tent. (Although the larger backpack fits Deuter sleeping bags in the lower compartment.)

I just responded to a comment of yours asking why you don't use a backpack for shorter bike packing trips. And I added that I don't find carrying up to 10 kg on my back to be a big deal, at least while MTBing. Somehow that got warped into a claim that I can do hikes in the snow with my small 12 l backpack in -30 degrees.

How about we push the reset button here?

Last edited:
Don't you live in Sendai. I'd love to see you go bikepacking in the winter and camping out with only the stuff you can fit in a 12litre backpack. You'd freeze to death at night. I was under the impression that Sendai was crazy cold through the winter. Perhaps I'm wrong. I'd struggle to just fit my winter sleeping bag in a 12 litre backpack, although that beast keeps me toasty down at -30c, here ⬇️
View attachment 16784

Hardcore!

But, hot showers and they change your sheets and *sheet* in most hotel rooms 🤩

Very interesting thread. Planning to do some light bikepacking on a road bike myself but with a credit card rather than camping out. I won't be carrying a backpack on my back so was just wondering which bag is better: one that attaches under the saddle, or one that fits inside the frame? The routes will be quite hilly, if that makes a difference, but on sealed roads (I hope!). Thanks.

@OreoCookie - The title of the thread is "bikepacking" - there is no "proper mountain biking" involved unless you get where you are going, strip off all your stuff, then ride.

Very interesting thread. Planning to do some light bikepacking on a road bike myself but with a credit card rather than camping out. I won't be carrying a backpack on my back so was just wondering which bag is better: one that attaches under the saddle, or one that fits inside the frame? The routes will be quite hilly, if that makes a difference, but on sealed roads (I hope!). Thanks.

I prefer the saddle bag to frame bags if it is an either/or situation. Frame bags in the triangle area make it harder to get at water bottles. Bags that sit on top of the top tube tend to be a bit floppy, especially if you are climbing and out of the saddle a bit. (That's been my experience anyway. Others, I'm sure, like the frame bags.) If I were going to cook and needed extra room for cooking gear, I might think about a frame bag, but as it is, the saddle bag and front roll (plus small 6 liter bag for valuables and water) are enough for my tent, bag and mat. Plus, I like that I can store a jacket or jersey on the top of the saddle bag by using the drawstrings. Pretty convenient. Just my 2 cents.

Glad we are back on track. Thanks for the reset.

I'm gonna do a test run next month and load up my road bike with a seat, frame and handlebar bag. The plan is to ride on the road, not gravel or off road yet, stay at an onsen and huff it home the next day.

I saw these bags at my LBS recently. They look pretty decent and not too expensive either. You could get the handlebar bag and saddlebag for 13,000 yen.

Regarding the frame bag v saddlebag, it depends how much I need to carry. If I could fit it all in the frame bag, I'd prefer that as it doesn't swing around when climbing, which the saddlebag does. The saddlebag does hold a lot more stuff though.

If anyone is interested I have a bike packing plan for next month, either if the 2 long weekends, depending on the weather. Roughly, starting from Chino or Matsumoto (obviously Shinkansen from Tokyo there in the morning) go over the Norikura pass and descend to Kamikochi famous hiking and camping area for the night (day 1). Day 2 in the morning take it easy and enjoy Kamikochi, later descending probably to Toyama for Shinkansen back to Tokyo. Weather permitting, I'd like to go to the actual peak of Norikura, and not limit myself to the tarmac part. So 2h hike or so from the last bus stop up there. If anyone wants to come you have to be self sufficient, as my tent etc is just enough for one.

Back
Top Bottom