What's new

Bike storage - work commute

Alei

Cruising
Apr 6, 2012
This may seem like a silly question, but for those who commute on roadbikes to work and are a bit precious about your bike - where do you park your bike? Do you just park it on the street and risk getting fined by the bike police, or do you park it in a proper bike parking area (you gotta pay, right?). Or do you carry it into the office/workplace?

There are places like this around - but for 15,000yen a month - no thank you.
http://www.bike-run.jp/

I'm in kind of a rural area (compared to Tokyo), and have fortunate conditions...

I take my road bike up and park it in my office. Usually the tourer, too (but I do occasionally lock that one up outside). While I arrive early and can easily use the elevator to get to my 4th floor office, the quandary is leaving--so to avoid people I use the back stairs during lunch hour or class change times.

The guards know me and my bikes. They'd just call if there was something up--never seen police on campus.

I leave my bike unlocked in the middle of the office area I work. (Come At Me Bro).

My job is kind of weird though, and is sat as a separate building, right in the middle of one of the most successful baseball academies in the area.

The young baseball lads have all been instructed thus, about me;

-His bike is sacred.
-Never ever EVER touch his bike.
-He is cool and if you want to get into bikes, he is the man to speak to.
-If you see anyone going near his bike, you have to skeng them up, and then report it to your coach, and him.

I love this situation.

God bless those boys.

My office has a two tiered metal rack space for bikes. One free and one paid. I grabbed a permanent spot for 11000y per year and stuck a couple of heavy locks on it. I leave my bike there. I would never leave my bike on the street.

But I feel that my bike would be very desirable to any thief. If I was riding a beater around then I would leave it wherever. But still locked.

I have a friend who has a top of the line specialized, SRAM red, power meter etc etc. He leaves his bike anywhere unlocked. It has never been stolen yet. Just a matter of time I tell him. He doesn't seem to care.

I work in Nagatacho and at any given time have at least two of the police standing guard there looking at my bike. I'm lucky that illegal parking is not their concern.

at least two of the police standing guard there looking at my bike

...which reminds me...
I want a bike like these for commuting or shopping!! I can even contribute to my neighborhood with reduced crime rates, just by parking this in front of the house!! Surely no one would attempt to steal this.
6177405120_34621b8108.jpg

yeah for good reason, I bikes that are stolen are usually in some way desirable!:warau:

Probably when the US bike cops start using the natty tube holders for their umbrellas. Or are those for flag stands so they can use the bikes for synchronised drill team activities?

Anyway - when I road to work, or shall I say, worked where I needed to ride to ... I just parked my bike on the staircase landing. I figured if the salarymen could use it for smoking, i could use it for something less health threatening.

I wonder how long it will be before Japanese bicycle cops will be wearing bicycle helmets like their US counterparts. Probably a very long time.

If I could get my bike into the office then I would, but I don't think it's really an option in my case.
I park my bike up against railings, but I make sure never to park within zones which actually have designations as no bicycle parking area (usually the area immediately around stations/commercial areas), and as much as possible park near to other bikes (preferably barely secured trendy hipster bikes). I use a Kryptonite New York mini U lock which is possibly overkill given that I frequently see very nice bikes secured around Tokyo with what is barely more than glorified string, but it gives me the peace of mind required to leave my bike unattended while I'm in the office all day. The railings found ubiquitously around Tokyo are also the perfect shape for locking with a mini U lock!
Make no mistake the kryptonite NY mini U is one weighty beast though, probably best left locked to the rail when not in use if you have a regular spot to plonk your bike (I have a second lighter ABUS chain for use when not commuting and thus not leaving the bike unattended for any length of time)

I've always wondered to what extent bicycle fines are actually implemented in Tokyo, I always thought the way it worked was that you got a warning label on your bike saying it will get towed away if it's not collected by a certain date, and if that does eventually happen then you have to pay to get it back. Am I right in thinking this, or is there more to it? Anyone else know?

If I could get my bike into the office then I would, but I don't think it's really an option in my case.
I park my bike up against railings, but I make sure never to park within zones which actually have designations as no bicycle parking area (usually the area immediately around stations/commercial areas), and as much as possible park near to other bikes (preferably barely secured trendy hipster bikes). I use a Kryptonite New York mini U lock which is possibly overkill given that I frequently see very nice bikes secured around Tokyo with what is barely more than glorified string, but it gives me the peace of mind required to leave my bike unattended while I'm in the office all day. The railings found ubiquitously around Tokyo are also the perfect shape for locking with a mini U lock!
Make no mistake the kryptonite NY mini U is one weighty beast though, probably best left locked to the rail when not in use if you have a regular spot to plonk your bike (I have a second lighter ABUS chain for use when not commuting and thus not leaving the bike unattended for any length of time)

I've always wondered to what extent bicycle fines are actually implemented in Tokyo, I always thought the way it worked was that you got a warning label on your bike saying it will get towed away if it's not collected by a certain date, and if that does eventually happen then you have to pay to get it back. Am I right in thinking this, or is there more to it? Anyone else know?

That looks very secure, well done!

The only thing I could add to your setup is a cover, if you cover the bike (you would have to cut some holes in the cover for your U-lock) then the bike is out of sight, and you know what they say, "Out of sight, out of mind" :D

If they take it, you will come back one day and it will be gone. Then you have to go to the spot where they store them and pay for its freedom to the tune of about 3000yen (Before it gets shipped to North Korea). You will also need proof of ID.

...which reminds me...
I want a bike like these for commuting or shopping!! I can even contribute to my neighborhood with reduced crime rates, just by parking this in front of the house!! Surely no one would attempt to steal this.
6177405120_34621b8108.jpg

I once inquired about getting one of these through my LBS but the answer was that they are not commercially available to earthlings which is a bit of a shame (come on Bridgestone...get serious! we don't want no softie Mark Rosas or whatever). Some models are 3-speeds like the Raleigh I used to ride in my schooldays. I love these 3-speeds.

THey issue electric ones as well. Usually the older plod seem to get them.:bike:

Hmmmm...seems like most people have ideal "parking" situations. None of which are really convenient for me.

Carrying it into the office where I work would be a little awkward. I work on the 28th floor of an office building...and don't fancy carrying it into crowded elevators. I'd also need to get it past the swipe-card security barriers everyday.

I am thinking IF I were to ride to work, I'd just park it on the street with a heavy-duty lock...but it seems that's not a good idea to leave bike unattended in Tokyo. I think I'll just stick with the trains for commuting then.

If I risk parking it, what's the go with police monitoring in Japan? If you park your bike illegally in a no-park zone, do you at least get a warning first? At what point would they remove/confiscate your bike?

Alei,

Talk to the building mangers as they will no doubt have a location where you can park it. I've found that most are very helpful - When I worked in Akasaka Mitsuke I was allowed to parkthe bike on the external stair well, actually I was bloody impressed as they measured the clearance to make sure it was in compliance with the fire marshals.

Yeah if not your buildings then one around you will be able to sort it out, you will just have to pay.

Back
Top Bottom