What's new

Bike stand recommendation

OneForTheRoad

Maximum Pace
Jan 3, 2021
I'm considering purchasing a stand for washing the bike and minimal maintenance.
I normally wash while leaning the bike against the wall, but cleaning the drive train is kinda annoying.

Any recommendations? :)

Cheapest is the axle type. When I went Taiwan with Giant cycling tours the seatstay type doubled as a quick mechanic stand.
1628947887841.png1628947909090.png

I have the one on the left, as my previous bike had quick release, but it doesn't fit with thru-axel.
the seatstay one isn't what I had in mind, but I will consider. Thanks for suggesting.
I have two versions of the one on the left--to fit separate bikes with different types of QR skewers.

Not sure, but if you look around there may be a thru axle version of these stands.

A rope over the washing pole stand, tree, balcony attachment etc. looped around the seat?
if buying a stand get a solid one you csn do some wrenching on. I really dislike the ones on the left as they are really good at dropping bikes as soon as any pressure goes on them.

Not sure, but if you look around there may be a thru axle version of these stands.
I have a thru axle version, but as factorzero mentioned its not very stable. Its ok for storing the bike but you have to be careful using it when working on the bike.

I also have one of these stands below. Much more stable and you can use it for either the front or rear wheel. I also use kiwisimon's rope trick too. That's the way to go if you want to keep either wheel raised.

41JV33w9pvL._AC_SX425_.jpg

Amazon product ASIN B016XTPTH0

See the seller's comment :).
I get the desire for more tools, but unless you're wrenching or cleaning often its going to feel like a PITA to setup and store.

I have the Minoura race stand and find it does a decent job of holding my bikes up and allows me to wash and maintain the bike completely. As the wheels come off, I work on the wheels separately.

I have the Minoura race stand and find it does a decent job of holding my bikes up and allows me to wash and maintain the bike completely. As the wheels come off, I work on the wheels separately.
I work on the wheels separately as well. So I turn the bike upside down and hope I don't scratch the saddle or the hoods too much.
Something that I'm trying to avoid with a decent bike stand

Also, get a rear hub roller as that helps when cleaning the chain. It's heaps better than having the bike upside down and allows the oil to drip down

If your willing to spend around 6,000 yen, Amazon has lots of tall standing clamp options.

20210816_163511.jpg

These are good for cleaning the bike and routine maintenance. So much better to have the chain, derailleurs etc up at eye level.

Andy

Here's an example (available for 1,000 yen than the list price) but lots to choose from:

Amazon product ASIN B08SKSVNSV

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom