What's new

Bike roof rack

What make of car? If it had roof rails already then all you need are cross rails and the carriers. I bought my Thule carriers from Yahoo Auctions.If you don't have roof rails then you'll need to get some anchor kits as well. How often will you use the racks?
Might be better to use the rear rack. The Terzo Saris is a good choice. Even better if you get it used.

It's a Mitsubishi colt. I don't have the rails so would need to get those. If I got the terzo, would I need another number plate and rake lights board on the back of the bikes?

Thule or inno are the go to guys for bike racks on cars.

It's a Mitsubishi colt. I don't have the rails so would need to get those. If I got the terzo, would I need another number plate and rake lights board on the back of the bikes?

No, The Saris sounds like the easiest option for you,
On Wiggle too!

to be honest those back racks are dangerous and I would not recommend them - the amount of bikes I've seen killed by idiots going in to the back of you in traffic jams is incredible, get them on the roof with a lockable system - that way you can leave them on the car over night.

to be honest those back racks are dangerous and I would not recommend them - the amount of bikes I've seen killed by idiots going in to the back of you in traffic jams is incredible, get them on the roof with a lockable system - that way you can leave them on the car over night.

as long as you haven't trashed them pulling into the 2:10M roof on the parking garage. 6 of one , half a dozen of the other regarding crashes. All depends how often you want to use it, I prefer the roof cause opening the tail gate on the wagon is a pain.
so you'll need set up, click on the bits to see some prices.
http://minkara.carview.co.jp/userid/287185/car/226716/2529054/parts.aspx

Or taken out by a low bridge in a stage race

I just got the INNO system. They have them at most Autobacs. Terzo is good if you have the oval , integrated rails. Thule is probably best - but I couldn't find as much availability in Japan (nor distributors). Totally agree with FE - put your bikes on top! And just make sure you know the MAX HEADROOM.

We were driving back from a stage race in Canada one time - I had a Datsun 411 team Car with Thule / Custom racks all over it. 4 bikes on top, wheels on the front and back. No passenger seat and door pinned so you could handle mechanicals on the race. We felt something hit the car but were too knackered to pull over and check. Arrived in Seattle and our bikes had encountered a high speed collision with a massive Owl. Feathers, Bits and Blood were everywhere! Did the logical thing and ran the car through a 'brushless' car wash. Then steam cleaned the rest. I remember picking bits of feathers out of my frame for several months. Only downside of a roof rack I experienced.

If I were starting from scratch I'd get Thule, they make good stuff. I already had factory aero bars though and the only ones that could fit something that wide were Inno. Can't complain, they work fine.

For the roof rack, I'd aim for the fork locking ones vs. the 2 wheel holding ones. I'm sure the two wheel holding ones work OK, but when going to a race in Chiba across the aqualine, another car had the 2 wheel one and it had a lot more lean angle than I think you'd want for a roof rack. (wind was pretty bad to be fair, they closed the aqualine a little while later that day).

putting bikes on the back is so much easier, bikes stay cleaner and if some muppet runs into the back of you( happens almost daily.... ??) their insurance will buy you a nice shiney bike and car!
There are many times more examples of bikes being wrecked on top than on back!
If the poster doesn't have rails then the rear saris is the cheapest option.
Plus my garage has a lip of 180 cm! Actually I'm 180 so it must be 179....... ouch!

For the roof rack, I'd aim for the fork locking ones vs. the 2 wheel holding ones. I'm sure the two wheel holding ones work OK, but when going to a race in Chiba across the aqualine, another car had the 2 wheel one and it had a lot more lean angle than I think you'd want for a roof rack. (wind was pretty bad to be fair, they closed the aqualine a little while later that day).

I use the fork lock system - far safer in my opinion. The other benifit of having a roof rack is that you can also have a top box - When I race solo - mainly for CX everything just goes on top of the car.

Don't know if you can access Halfords website from Japan or what delivery charges apply if you can but the Halfords Advanced rear high mount bike carrier is a great rack once fitted it can be taken off folded flat and stored with ease and then put back on in under a minute can vouch fro it being very secure and sturdy having travelled all over the UK and most of France and Spain without any security issues or feelings of impending doom as bikes go flying off the back and bounce along the motorway as has happened to others I know using more inferior racks recently voted best cycle carrier by Auto Express if you can get it you won't be disappointed. Very well priced often appears in sales on the net.

Or best of all.....
Just buy a bigger car! One that allows you to fit the bikes and passengers INSIDE!
I just changed to a VW Touran, downside.... it's looks like a Shanghai taxi...
But can hold 3 bikes and riders inside!

Yeah, I have a stepwagon. My bike lives in there, It can easily carry 3 bikes and riders.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I decided to go with the terzo rear carrier in the end. I won't be using it too often so hopefully it'll do the job just fine.
Thanks again.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I decided to go with the terzo rear carrier in the end. I won't be using it too often so hopefully it'll do the job just fine.
Thanks again.

Perhaps I'm the only one :eek: :eek: shocked :eek: :eek: that you didn't go for the New Car recommendation?

:p :p

Right, why spend a little when you can spend a lot!

Thread revival time... how did that rack work out for your @leicaman? Myself and 3 mates are looking to travel down to a Gran Fondo in October and its nice to go in one car. That's 4 bikes though. It's my mates car. He drives a 2013 Honda Spike which has decent space. 3 bikes and 3 people would probably all fit inside but for 4 we'll need to at least 3 bikes outside I would guess. Anyone got a loaner rack or recommendations? The back of the car seems quite flat so not sure how those rear racks would work out. I've no experience using a bike rack.

I have had Roof Racks (Yakima and Thule) and Strap Rear racks (Thule and Saris) and Hitch Mount racks (Yakima and Thule).

My preference by far is the hitch mount - if possible for your car.

Cons to each:
The roof rack is super expensive, creates more road noise going down the highway, and robs you of fuel economy.
If a bike slips out of hand (especially with the front wheel out) - expect your car to suffer the damage, not your bike.
Low overhead - drive through, garage, trees.

The "strap" rear rack always made me nervous. I tied extra knots just in case the straps worked loose - never had a problem but always had the fear.
Additionally, someone is a pocket knife away from ruining your trip.

The hitch style has one big downfall, when there are no bikes on it, you don't see it... easy to forget there is a significant piece of metal hanging off the back of your car.
The rear end argument is legit, however I have only been rear ended once... so not really a common thing for me.

Pros to each:
Roof - Looks the nicest and has the most attachments available (travel boxes, ski mounts, etc...) Available with locking devices

Strap Rear Rack - Most inexpensive for minimal use, it makes the most financial sense.

Hitch mount - Nothing touches the car ever. No scratch/dent/dirt./etc... Available with locking devices

---------
Just figured I would through out an additional option of a hitch style rack.

Some cars a hitch bolts right up, other require drilling. If drilling is required, i avoid this option.
My skyline requires drilling.

I bought a mini van.

Back
Top Bottom