Bike riding Tues 28th June- Friday 1st July

May 25, 2011
London
Hi, I'm UK airline crew and will be staying in Yokohama for a few days at the end of June. I'm fairly new to road biking but have done quite a few 50-130km day rides around where I live in the UK and I'm considering taking my bike with me to Tokyo for this upcoming trip. I'm male, 33 and reasonably fit (ish!?), I'm certainly not a hardcore cyclist and prefer to cycle at a moderate pace.

This will be only my second time to Japan and while I'm looking forward to the trip I'm a little wary of heading out on my own (I don't speak Japanese for one!) nor know my way around. I'm wondering if there's anyone reading this forum who is free on any of the above dates who's like to to join me for day rides or possibly even a longer distance overnight ride over the dates above, perhaps staying in a youth hostel or b&b? I much prefer riding with other people and I'd appreciate the company!

The cycling I do here is mainly on quiet country roads (as far as I can) and as far as possible I'd like to avoid the traffic for my rides if this is possible from Yokohama? Is it possible to do an overnight cycle, looping around Mt Fuji? I'm open to all suggestions as my knowledge of cycling in Japan is very limited and hope to hear from some of you soon.

FarEast

Maximum Pace
May 25, 2009
Yokohama
Yes, Im free on all the days but the Tuesday.... Also live in Yokohama so more than happy to take you out on one or more of the days. Not able to do any overnighters though.

May 25, 2011
London
Thanks for the prompt replies, I appreciate it. That would be great, maybe one of the days the three of us could head out together. I'll message you both nearer the time and see how you are fixed for free time and hope to see you then!

May 25, 2011
London
bike ride next week?

Hello again, I've sent you both a pm to see how you're schedule is looking for next week. Be good to meet you both for a bike ride if you can make it, if anyone else is free and fancies getting out on the bikes let me know.

I should add that this will be my second time in Japan and I really don't know my way around at all! I bought a garmin 800 recently and I'm trying to download and install open source maps for Japan. It seems doing this is proving harder than I thought it would be so if anyone has any tips I'd appreciate hearing them. Cheers.