Bike registration without previous owner

niksa

Warming-Up
Mar 28, 2016
Hello everyone, new guy here. I have a specific question about bike registration (I've searched the forum and could not find the same problem). Long story short, my ex coworker wanted to sell his bike but since he did not sell it, he just gave it to me. The problem is that he left Japan for good. Bike is registered on his name so is it possible to transfer ownership to me if I had eg. copy of his residence card or something like that?
Any help is welcome.

Cheers

niksa

Warming-Up
Mar 28, 2016
Thanks for the answer. I am aware that 譲渡証明書 (btw. tnx for the translation :) )is needed for the ownership transfer. BUT, friend is in Europe and he will not return back.

As far as I understand, when you are transferring ownership, previous owner must be physically present with you during the transfer (please correct me if I'm wrong).

So, how is it possible to change the ownership without him? I can get scan of his residence card if needed.

Cheers

May 22, 2007
Kawasaki
halffastcycling.com
A convincing signature or hanko on the transfer form (ideally matching that from the original registration papers) is fine. Physical presence not required. A copy of your friend's residence card might help to convince the shopkeeper. This page says all you need is...
  • The bike
  • ID, i.e., your gaijin card / residence card
  • The original bike registration card or the completed transfer form
  • 500 yen