What's new

Bike Registration Question

Trek DJ

Maximum Pace
Jan 27, 2009
Long story short but 3-4 years ago I sold a pieced together commuter bike to a friends friend. Being me, I didn't register the bike....but I received an email from the buyer a couple days ago saying they have been stopped by the cops a few times and had a hard time explaining why it wasn't registered and wanting "a proof of purchase". I dont even remember what I sold the bike for....

Is it possible for them to register the bike at a nearby shop? the frame was not originally bought here in Japan, nor do I still have paperwork.

I dont register any of my bikes and have never been stopped....usually cause I only ride them in training and on the street vs. sidewalk.

Advice appreciated.

Is it possible for them to register the bike at a nearby shop? the frame was not originally bought here in Japan, nor do I still have paperwork
A bike shop should register a bike on production of the owner's ID and proof that the bicycle belongs to the owner. Plus 500 yen. Bike anti-crime registration is apparently tax-free.

So you could send the guy a transfer of ownership document 譲渡書 for the bike with his name on it and your name on it. The price is irrelevant and unnecessary.

Here is a helpful template for a transfer of ownership document.

http://www.bouhan-net.com/dl/joutoshoumei.pdf

Last edited:
Tell him to go to a local bike shop, explain the situation (he bought the bike second-hand and it wasn't registered) and ask the shop what info they need to register the bike. I bought a second-hand unregistered bike from yahoo auction and the shop told me all they needed was a statement/letter from the person saying they sold me the bike plus my ID.

If a shop asks for more than that, try asking in a different shop.

I understand that we are talking about legitimate sales here but if it is possible to register a second-hand bike with no proof of purchase doesn't this open the door to thieves registering stolen bikes, thereby making the registration system meaningless? Having said that, the police should be able to confirm from the frame number that it has never been registered and that no bikes of this frame number have been reported stolen in Japan. I wonder if the frame maker would be able to provide some proof of purchase as the frame must have a number linked to the original sale. I know it is all very well saying so now, but keeping proofs of purchase (especially with unregistered bikes) and passing them on to buyers if you resell would seem like a good practice to help the police combat bike theft and avoid embarrassing situations for buyers.

purchase doesn't this open the door to thieves registering stolen bikes, thereby making the registration system meaningless?

help the police combat bike theft

The registration is to aid returning the bike to the owner if it's stolen and then found, or abandoned. Cops don't run the sticker numbers on random bicycle stops, they just want to be seen doing the job and any bike with no sticker gives them something interesting to do. It's a huge inconvenience for the rider but the cops really couldn't care less.

All the sticker system really does is establish the legitimate owner of registered bikes: If person A gets caught riding a bike registered to person B, they will have some explaining to do. It's largely geared towards LBS selling bikes to consumers and registering the bikes in the process. Anything beyond that is really outside the scope of the system.

I've never been stopped by police on a bicycle and my (U.S. import) bike is not registered.

I know it is all very well saying so now, but keeping proofs of purchase (especially with unregistered bikes) and passing them on to buyers if you resell would seem like a good practice to help the police combat bike theft and avoid embarrassing situations for buyers.

Because Japanese cops could really care less about bike theft? My experience is they are utterly useless on all counts when it comes to dealing with any kind of theft.

It's largely geared towards LBS selling bikes to consumers and registering the bikes in the process. Anything beyond that is really outside the scope of the system.
I agree that the system is flawed, but I disagree with the last comment. The system can cope perfectly well with non LBS purchases.

http://www.bouhan-net.com

Yeah! Well, you guys are probably right about policing in practice, but the one time I had bike stolen was in the UK over twenty years ago and the police paperwork led to its recovery despite no investigation into the circumstances. I haven't registered my bike from overseas either but I kept the receipt and would pass this on if I sold it.

A small update - we've been issued the registration kit and can now do this at our shop in Akasaka Mitsuke. Fee is 500 yen and you need to bring in proof of purchase (or transfer) plus ID. It takes roughly a month for the 'data' to be entered into the Police system computer so they recommend also carrying the copy of registration card until then.

Here's a stupid question - Do all bikes when bought in Japan need to be registered? Reason for asking, I bought a bike with child seat on the front for my wife to use and there was no talk in the shop when I handed over the money.

Yes, all bikes are <supposed> to be registered. Usually the shop you purchased from will automatically include this or refer you to someone who can. Again, no penalty if you don't do it. But if you want to track your bike after getting confiscated, lost or stolen it will be nearly impossible without it. Same with insurance - they will generally ask for the Police registration number.

...and the problem is that a bike is technically impossible to register if there are no papers regarding its origin or the previous registration. Still, in 6 years no one asked me for registration, no single time.

Thanks - Next time I am over I will take cycle back to shop and ask

Back
Top Bottom