What's new

Bike on train

TODO R CASPELL

Maximum Pace
Jan 27, 2009
What all can you get away with on the train ? I know they want it in a bag. Can it be a BIG bag ? Can I just pull my wheels and bag my full size bike ? I have seen guys assembling full size bikes at the station and assumed they came off the train. How crowded the train is likely matters too ? THANK YOU TR

What all can you get away with on the train ? I know they want it in a bag. Can it be a BIG bag ? Can I just pull my wheels and bag my full size bike ? I have seen guys assembling full size bikes at the station and assumed they came off the train. How crowded the train is likely matters too ? THANK YOU TR

JR permit passengers to bring their belongings with them within following regulations, it is free of charge:
1) hight + width + length : within 250 cm
2) length : within 200 cm
3) weight : within 30 kg
4) number of belongings : within 2
5) must be wrapped up

http://www.jreast.co.jp/kippu/20.html

Each railway company other than JR has its own regulations, and roughly they are almost similar, but you should ask them about it before hand. Enjoy! :D

I have two bags for my bike - one where you take both wheels off, another where you just detach the front wheel. The latter is more convenient, but weighs more so is a bit of a pain to carry round on a ride. This is fine for loop rides where you can just stick it in a locker at the station.

If it's not a loop ride and I'm not sure where I'll finish, I've taken to taking the front wheel off and putting a couple of rubbish bags over the bike. You can get 45l rubbish bags in convenience stores everywhere. I do my best to cover the chain and messy bits, it would be a real pain soiling someone's clothes with it. You can get away with quite a lot normally and don't need to stress out too much about covering everything.

Very front or very rear carriage is normally the best place to dump the bike on a train.

Reactions: PAK
thank you this info is very helpful

Did not mean to slight you.Your advise is of much value. THanks. What I did was buy the biggest bike bag Homes had. It was only 700 Y. So I can punch holes and not give a S. Like one for my seat and another to put my arm through so I can cary it over shoulder. The cheeper bags seem to pack tighter too so it will go into my messenger bag.

I have two bags for my bike - one where you take both wheels off, another where you just detach the front wheel. The latter is more convenient, but weighs more so is a bit of a pain to carry round on a ride. This is fine for loop rides where you can just stick it in a locker at the station.

If it's not a loop ride and I'm not sure where I'll finish, I've taken to taking the front wheel off and putting a couple of rubbish bags over the bike. You can get 45l rubbish bags in convenience stores everywhere. I do my best to cover the chain and messy bits, it would be a real pain soiling someone's clothes with it. You can get away with quite a lot normally and don't need to stress out too much about covering everything.

Very front or very rear carriage is normally the best place to dump the bike on a train.

Got bike on train. THANKS. I think the first last car is key. There is a usually unhaddycapped space there. GUESS Which bike is mine. TODO

On two wheels on trains!

Trash bags sold at convini are enough to wrap up your bike to board on trains.

Rinko Bag

Did the 7 Yen bag and was OK but bike was too big. Though it was EZ with the wheels rolling out the bottom and no tear down. Got no looks but felt like I was invading space on train. So I gotta real Rinko bag. Tioga MT bike style 4000 Y at Y's. Made for MT bike rear wheel on. My TR road bike is too big to fit right so I just take of both wheels. Works pretty well. OTODO

PS. Rin Project makes the nicest Rinko bag I have seen but I think they are 20000 Y or so

My TR road bike is too big to fit right so I just take of both wheels.

Hi Todo. I have the same Tioga bag. I know your bike is probably big, but I'm surprised it doesn't fit. Just to check: Are you turning your bars to one side before zipping up?

Deej

Big bike in a rinko bag

DJ, Thanks good suggestion.Yea I think I did turn the bars. BUT I have a 120 mm stem and 48 cm bars. The rear wheel ALMOST zips in. Next time I will try harder. It's not that bigga deal to take off both wheels though it leaves the rear round area a bit baggy. Also if I am training it I ought to loose the fender { IT'S SPRING !} and the kick stand. Though I may just punch a hole for the kickstand and use it like a bayonet. But then again no need, whenever the crowds see the big hulking gaijin coming with a big black bag over his shoulder they part like the Red sea. TODO

DJ, Thought I already RE this but no and Yes I THINK I turned the bars. Rear wheel ALMOST zips. But if I remove both wheels it is fine but a bit baggy. BUT if your Rinko bag can't be baggy what can ? Domo A TODO

DJ, Yes on the bars thank you. It's just ez er to remove both wheels If I leave the rear on it has to be perfectly aligned in the bag and the rear wheel BARELY zips around it. IF I remember correctly. Had to punch a hole for kickstand which is actually usable with both wheels off.

Does anyone have information or experience with the 'sheet type' rinko shown here? I want to buy one (my first one). This sounds very easy to use, but might not be the best option.

Does anyone have information or experience with the 'sheet type' rinko shown here? I want to buy one (my first one). This sounds very easy to use, but might not be the best option.

I don't want a bag that is hard to slide over the bike but I would rather have a tight fit than to take both wheels off like in this photo.

i made some bike bags for 1500 a piece. bought ultra-light nylon and sewed up a big disc shape with a drawstring. i do take my wheels off. and it doesn't have a shoulder strap. next time. chk my profile for pictures. its small, and light weight.

Hmmm.. That works. However, I need some practice with a needle and thread.

Todo gets a brand new bag

My rinko bag count is going up to 3. Could not resist the Tioga EZ esp at < 2000 Y at japazon.com. And it will be here in Japan already so I will have it Monday.
I like the small size folded, the leaving the wheels on. The rear wheel out at the bottom [ No punching a hole for the Kickstand !] and it looks like you can roll the bike along on the naked front wheel. Tioga bags also have a much better strap than the Ostrich from my experience. Even so the picture shows it on a mountain bike I figure a 26 inch wheel with a fat knob on is about the same size as a 27 with a thin tyre and the handle bars are out so that don't matter. If I am deluding myself I will let you all know how it went.

Big Domo Stevo for postin it originally on the ultra-light bike bag thread and all of you for the valuable feedback as usual, If I had waited a year to get a bag and read all the current bag posts I would have saved about 20000 Y

http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B001V7HBDU/ref=ox_ya_oh_product

Back
Top Bottom