What's new

Bike on train

My rinko bag count is going up to 3. Could not resist the Tioga EZ esp at < 2000 Y at japazon.com. And it will be here in Japan already so I will have it Monday. ... http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B001V7HBDU/ref=ox_ya_oh_product

>TODO, What brand is the rinko in the (Big bike in a rinko bag)picture posted above? What size bike is inside? Are there any other problems than being too small? I don't mind removing the front wheel, but would rather leave the rear wheel on to protect the rear derailleur. It sounds like the plan with the EZ Wrap is to leave both wheels on, is that right?

Tli

Randy, I have not yet used the bag yet. So all I can say now is it looks good and it appears you leave both wheels on and it just covers the greasy bits. I have no idea what size mt. bike is in the pic. It's Tioga brand. I will post as soon as I try it. If it fits my bike a 63 cm. with 700 wheels it should fit about anything.

Never having carried my bike on a shinkansen, could someone tell me if an MTB (with widish bars) in a bag like this would be viable?

I guess it might depend on the design of the carriage, but how exactly does one stow a bike on a shinkansen?

Just got back from the Ekiden ride and 5 of us with bikes in various bag types and stages of diassembly rode in the elise and passageway without any problems.

Just stick it in a bag and go.

Just got back from the Ekiden ride and 5 of us with bikes in various bag types and stages of diassembly rode in the elise and passageway without any problems.

Just stick it in a bag and go.

OK, but you had to stay with your bikes all the time, while I was able to stow mine behind the last row of two seats and could have sat anywhere (had there been any seating - but then today was special).

Randy, ... If it fits my bike a 63 cm. with 700 wheels it should fit about anything.
Yeah, my 54 cm would be no problem. :) Thanks.

I have no idea what size mt. bike is in the pic. It's Tioga brand. I will post as soon as I try it.
Actually.. I was talking about the picture taken on a train platform with a guy (you?) and two bikes in bags (red and black). I think the black bag is an Ostrich rinko? That would be my second choice. I like the EZ rap better.. as long as I don't bump into some company man with a dirty wheel. :rolleyes:
https://tokyocycle.com/bbs/attachment.php?attachmentid=425&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1238983286

About the EZ lap,
I googled some japanese web site(including 2ch.), and most of japanese guys hesitated to using this lap in JR or some other transportation method. I think if you want to use this item,it could be better to cover the front wheel by spare lap or remove and bring the front wheel on your hand. :eek: It sounds funny&silly but I think this is the japanese style, "concerning other people(気遣い)".(Frankly, I don't understand what is the difference between covering front wheel and bring them on my hand.... )

Re: EZ-wrap

I use a Tioga EZ-wrap all the time as my rinko of choice.

It's great for size, weight, and thus convenience. I remove the front wheel and tuck it inside the bag.

However I've found that the construction isn't great. The plastic buckles on the shoulder strap will break/snap at the slightest provocation (I tie a knot in mine now) and the hemming on the storage pouch is insufficient and frays before long (I sewed it up properly by hand).

Still love it.

About the EZ lap,
I googled some japanese web site(including 2ch.), and most of japanese guys hesitated to using this lap in JR or some other transportation method. I think if you want to use this item,it could be better to cover the front wheel by spare lap or remove and bring the front wheel on your hand. :eek: It sounds funny&silly but I think this is the japanese style, "concerning other people(気遣い)".(Frankly, I don't understand what is the difference between covering front wheel and bring them on my hand.... )

Yeah, I wondered if this rinko is acceptable.. as displayed.. especially on crowded trains. Thanks.

I use a Tioga EZ-wrap all the time as my rinko of choice.

It's great for size, weight, and thus convenience. I remove the front wheel and tuck it inside the bag.

However I've found that the construction isn't great. The plastic buckles on the shoulder strap will break/snap at the slightest provocation (I tie a knot in mine now) and the hemming on the storage pouch is insufficient and frays before long (I sewed it up properly by hand).

Still love it.

Thanks for the heads-up on the quality of construction. If I go with this bag, I'll plan on reinforcing it before using it.

I`ve done this once - during my retreat from the Sea of Japan with knee touble. I purchased a bike bag at a good shop in Tottori (8600 yen). The following day, I rode the bike to the station, disconnected the front wheel (strapping it to the frame with bungee chord), and had no trouble bringing it aboard the train to Osaka and the Shin-Osaka Shinkansen to Shin-Yokohama.

Yeah, I wondered if this rinko is acceptable.. as displayed.. especially on crowded trains. Thanks.

Personally I always carry the wheel seperately and then stash it behind the bike at the front/rear of the train - I couldn't imagine dragging the bloody thing on with the front wheel still attached ...:bike2:

Some trains don't have that convenient space at the end of the front/rear carriage to easily strap the bag against... this makes it a little harder to find a spot to safely stash it - this is really the only disadvantage of this bag against ones where you also take the rear wheel off. What I sometimes do to get round this is to stand the bike vertically on it's rear wheel and then tape the forks/handlebar to something inanimate (luggage rack, vertical poles, sleeping salariman) --

Cheers
Steve

Splain pic

O OK, The Black bag is a Tioga Mt. rinko, [ 4000 Y at Y's.] I need to take off both wheels on my 63 cm. T Richey bike. [ I think it is technically possible to bag it with the rear wheel on but it is not worth the effort.] The red rinko is a Dahon bag and he don't need to do nuthin, is on the platform in 20 seconds flat BUT once we are up and running he is whining. I think the guy must be Korno [ AKA Jack AKA Jack A. AKA THAT GUY. ] I NEED the edge a full size bike gives me when we ride around. But no worry he gots 20 years on me. TODO

PS. STILL have not tried the Tioga EZ, will let you know when.

Yeah, my 54 cm would be no problem. :) Thanks.

Actually.. I was talking about the picture taken on a train platform with a guy (you?) and two bikes in bags (red and black). I think the black bag is an Ostrich rinko? That would be my second choice. I like the EZ rap better.. as long as I don't bump into some company man with a dirty wheel. :rolleyes:
https://tokyocycle.com/bbs/attachment.php?attachmentid=425&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1238983286

O OK, The Black bag is a Tioga Mt. rinko, [ 4000 Y at Y's.] I need to take off both wheels on my 63 cm. T Richey bike. [ I think it is technically possible to bag it with the rear wheel on but it is not worth the effort.] The red rinko is a Dahon bag and he don't need to do nuthin, is on the platform in 20 seconds flat BUT once we are up and running he is whining. I think the guy must be Korno [ AKA Jack AKA Jack A. AKA THAT GUY. ] I NEED the edge a full size bike gives me when we ride around. But no worry he gots 20 years on me. TODO

PS. STILL have not tried the Tioga EZ, will let you know when.

Ah.. Tioga. Thanks for letting me know. I don't know if I could go foldable.. but I've never tried it.

Personally I always carry the wheel seperately and then stash it behind the bike at the front/rear of the train - I couldn't imagine dragging the bloody thing on with the front wheel still attached ...:bike2:

Some trains don't have that convenient space at the end of the front/rear carriage to easily strap the bag against... this makes it a little harder to find a spot to safely stash it - this is really the only disadvantage of this bag against ones where you also take the rear wheel off. What I sometimes do to get round this is to stand the bike vertically on it's rear wheel and then tape the forks/handlebar to something inanimate (luggage rack, vertical poles, sleeping salariman) --

Cheers
Steve

...something inanimate (luggage rack, vertical poles, sleeping salariman) :D

Thanks for the information. I want to hear about good experiences and bad experiences. All information is helpful.

another rinko to throw in the mix

This is another bag that I am considering - MARUTO ツアーバッグ SONOMA 210. I like that it has a sleeve inside to store the front wheel, after it has been removed, and it looks like the strap connects directly to the bike. Anybody have experience with this bag?

s

s

I love my Tioga. Just pop the front wheel off, affix the wheel to the frame with two velcro straps, and throw it in the bag. Takes me about 2 minutes. I place it along the wall at the front or back of the train and strap it to the handrail so it doesn't tip over.

The Tioga is fast and easy, but one drawback is its lack of compactness relative to bike bags that require both wheels to be removed. As Ludwig noted, with his bag, which requires both wheels off, the bike can be stored in tighter spots, allowing him more freedom of movement in trains. But once you learn strategic spots on trains in which to store the bike, having a larger bag like mine poses little inconvenience.

And I really do not like removing the rear wheel -- it takes longer (which can make a difference when a train is about to arrive and you're scrambling to get ready); it can be messy (for some reason, it was much easier to remove my rear wheel when I was running Shimano -- with my Campy setup, it's like rocket science trying to figure out how to get the sucker off); and even with the special protective attachment, I always worry about damaging the rear derailleur.

So for me, my bag is almost ideal.

Here's a poor cell-phone photo of my Tioga bag, which I used to take my bike to and from Shizuoka over the New Year holidays.
4250482811_545965d33a_b.jpg

Deej ~ sexy looking bag. Do you happen to know the 'model number' of that bag?

(I like the simplicity of the ez-wrap, but after only a couple of uses I fear it is going to start falling apart.)

Do you happen to know the 'model number' of that bag?

It appears to be called the コクーン「BAR012」

Here's a page showing the bag.

The page says you have to remove the pedals before use, but there's no need to do that.

Deej

I love my Tioga. ... Takes me about 2 minutes. I place it along the wall at the front or back of the train and strap it to the handrail so it doesn't tip over.

And I really do not like removing the rear wheel -- it takes longer ... and even with the special protective attachment, I always worry about damaging the rear derailleur.

Thanks, Deej. Nice bag, good info.

Back
Top Bottom