What's new

Bike nutrition

basilleroux

Maximum Pace
Jun 26, 2011
Hi all,

How do you go about getting your drinks and gels etc?

I have been to a couple of shops but not been able to find anything suitable.

All suggestions much appreciated.

Thanks,

Basil

How do you go about getting your drinks and gels etc?
I order Gu gels and Clif Bars from Wiggle every once in a while.

FarEast has been working on getting HIGH5 approved for retail sale. Talk to him about progress and options.

GS Astuto has recipes for making your own energy bars - probably more wholesome and better value than anything from a shop... if you have the time and talent for the cooking involved.

I've been ordering Clif Bars and whey protein, among other things, from the California-based iHerb recently. So far, the prices and service have been good.

While my homemade concoctions are awesome in their own right - I really am impressed with the High 5 2:1 HIGH CAFFEINE ala 'I AM CORNHOLIO' pre-race prep. I first <learned> about the benefits of consuming caffeine along with carbs via an Irish ex-pro that had wandered into our small circle of misfits and miscreants back in the early 80's and brought us 'the know-ledge' of such things involving mass consumption of espresso , nutella, aspirin and vitamins. The ABC's of cycling are simple -- A-B-C!!

1) Always Be Consuming !!
2) Eat Lean and Race Fat!
3) Never eat White at Night!
4) Fructose before Glucose

Suitable is a matter of perception and preparation. In the winter I'll oftentimes microwave some potatoes (Imo or plain) stuff them in my pockets to do double duty as kidney warmers and starch providers for the typical longer, lower rides.

I'm down with the konyaku jellies packs as decent gels in their own right (and very cheap). I scavenge gel packages with the screw on caps and refill with brown rice syrup or karo. (Almost pure fructose). Homemade muesli bars are great for long rides.

But the best part of riding in Japan is the 'conbini' which is stocked with everything from Pizza-man's to Black Thunders. All-is-fuel and fuel-as-all, says I.

Slightly strange question in the land of the combini, but FWIW...

Gels are available in any large-ish drug store, at least in the suburbs. Same for sports bars, although the brands/contents are different. Combinis often (but not always) have gels/bars, too, but if I'm there anyway I'd usually get an onigiri or something instead.

For sports drinks, Pocari Sweat/Aquarius are ubiquitous, and presumably contain the salt/water/sugar needed (not being an expert).

Slightly strange question in the land of the combini, but FWIW...

Gels are available in any large-ish drug store, at least in the suburbs. Same for sports bars, although the brands/contents are different. Combinis often (but not always) have gels/bars, too, but if I'm there anyway I'd usually get an onigiri or something instead.

For sports drinks, Pocari Sweat/Aquarius are ubiquitous, and presumably contain the salt/water/sugar needed (not being an expert).

The Gels you buy at the conbini are useless and basically a placebo. Yes they have some nutritional value but compare them to other "Brand" sports gels and you'll get the idea.

Also Pocari Sweat and Aquarius......The wife won't let the kids anywhere near that stuff, you are better off having a full fat Coke followed by pure water.

I go for bananas, apples and レーズンパン but then I'm not a serious athlete ;-)

Hi Tim. I quite like the Torq bars, which are vegan, filling and easy to eat and just ordered myself a box from Wiggle. Clif Bars are also available here, or on iHerb.

No.... not at all! If that was the case you'll just be pouring raw caster sugar down your throat.

Back
Top Bottom