What's new

Bike messengers

Rchieng

Warming-Up
Jul 16, 2012
Hi there,

Are there any bike messengers around? I've got some things to ask if you guys don't mind.

Well ask your question then!

Good point heh. Is it common for regular people to request for deliveries from the bike courier companies or do the orders come more from businesses?

We are trying to create a new service to make it convenient for anyone to request for a delivery and at the same time make it easy for bike messengers to take orders themselves.

I have never personally used one, but come to think of it, a novel system of ringing one up and getting them to fetch me stuff would be genuinely useful, and easier on my conscience when it comes to carbon footprints and all that.

yeah there are about 10 establish cycle courier companies in Tokyo and the same for Osaka, this does not include Motorcycle couriers or major companies like Kuro Neko, DHL and other large postal and shipping companies that use Electric bikes or push bike with trailers all of whom offer door to door service and COD (Cash On Delivery services)

Most courier services are B2B or B2C and focus on the greater Tokyo area and a few in Yokohama.Of course they way couriers work I any one can call them up for thier services but the whole point of courier is to get important docs or items across town fast - if I needed to do this myself I would just jump on the bike or post it via EMS.

I was talking to the manager of the team i race for who also happens to own one of the courier services in Tokyo and he mentioned that following the New York trend on the service the market is actually on the decline and Tokyo will follow about 1-2 years down the road with only one or 2 of the deeply established services staying in buiness.

So according to the market data its actually a bad time to be starting up a courier service in Japan.

Interesting. Yea what we are trying to do is more is trying to make it part of anyone's daily life. Pick up my keys, send a gift etc. Of course it would have to be convenient and quick. B2B is not really the direction we are aiming for now.

As for the bike messenger if there was a system that mad it convenient for you guys, how interested would you guys be? Would like to hear your thoughts on the current market.

I think you are asking the wrong people.
If I wanted something delivered by bicycle..... I would get on my bicycle and deliver it!:cool:

...and probably get 50% bonus kms in by the time you're back :cool:

Japan is already the king of logistics. I can send just about anything (5kg or less), anywhere in Japan for 580yen just by dropping it off at any Family Mart. 1 day or 2 max later it's there. Couriers are all over the place. T-Serv is probably the largest cycle courier. They cover so many places and it's generally around 500yen only. Perfect and timely. Plus they have hundreds of couriers.

This kind of SAAS sounds cool - but I think alot of people would be concerned about reliability and of course just accountability. Japanese don't go in much for 'individuals' doing things - they prefer to have some formal 'face' to show more responsibility and reliability.

Back
Top Bottom