Bike maintenance in the dark

leicaman

Maximum Pace
Sep 20, 2012
Asakadai, Saitama
Yesterday I decided to clean my bike and give it some much needed TLC. It wasn't changing gears very smoothly and there was a little noise coming from the rear dérailleur. I thought that it might need a little clean and adjustment. After a good old scrub I began to adjust the cable tension. No amount of adjustment would stop it and it also felt like there was some resistance when I turned the crank. After lots of head scratching I realised what the problem was. When I had installed a new chain a while back, I hadn't threaded the chain around the derailleur rollers correctly which meant the chain was actually using the metal tab between the two rollers, as a roller. I had fitted the chain outside my apartment in the dark. I obviously hadn't noticed my "slight" chain deviation. This led me to wonder whether I'm the only plank around here that does things like bike maintenance in the dark, or not. Or, I'm sure more than one or two of you must have woken up in the morning to find something hilarious you had done to your bike whilst in an intoxicated state. Please put me out of my misery and tell me I'm not the only fool.

joewein

Maximum Pace
Oct 25, 2011
Setagaya, Tokyo
joewein.net
Reminds me of Half-Fast Mike's recent horror tale:
Another colleague went and bought himself an 'assembled, ready-to-ride' bike from Wiggle. This time round, a Boardman SLR 9.8. Or it is 9.4. Whatever.

Miii〜iike... Would you have a look at my bike?

I was sincerely appalled. The chain was fitted with a half-twist in it, making it a Möbius strip. (...)