What's new

Bike Lock for carrying on rides. What do you use?

macrophotofly

Maximum Pace
Aug 27, 2012
Following reading the many interesting threads on what people carry in backpacks/seat bags/bottle cage containers, I noticed a distinct lack of any mention of bike locks.
Obviously the main lock is left at home when I go cycling, but what do people carry on them for when they pop into combi/cafe/new-branch-of-Y's-they-spot-while-cycling ?

Back in the UK I wouldn't dare go cycling without a grade 1 monster lock somewhere on me. The little wire locks you get here remind me of my ski lock but look like they only take a pair of scissors to get through. I'm thinking of using my old UK Bike Lock extension (see pic) with a new padlock but it still seems a bit bulky to get in a seat bag or back pocket (and I hate wearing a rucksac while riding). What do you do?
Large_9998.jpg

I use this lock, which cost 980 yen at the bike section of the local supermarket:

IMG_3597.JPG

The cable seems thick enough to require something to cut it that wouldn't fit into a pocket.

This is how I usually carry it when not in use:

IMG_3599.JPG

showimg.php

Just something small like this.

Not in the habit of ever leaving my bike unattended though, and never have been.

I have a thin wire lock that lives in my messenger bag, it is always there if I need it, and I forget my other locks. Each bike has a lock on it, I have one decent mini ulock that I trade around between bikes, it stows on any bike easily, and I have one of those double loop locks that lives on my daily ride bike, but can be easily moved to whichever bike I like.

The biggest thing is where you lock your bike, and how long you leave it. I have a 1988 Cannondale MTB that I have had since new, one of the reasons I still have it despite living in downtown Vancouver BC Canada for a few years and living in Tokyo for the last 22 years is that I never, EVER leave the bike unlocked, not once. Most bike theft is a crime of opportunity, some low life sees a bicycle unlocked and boom, it's gone :eek:uch: I cannot count the number of times I've heard someone who just had their bicycle stolen say "I just went into the shop for a second, I could not have been gone more than 3 minutes...." but they did not lock their bike. Even the super thin wire lock would have stopped that kind of theft, as it was a crime of opportunity. If you have the best lock in the world, and you leave the bike in a bad spot, out of site, down a dark alley and someone really wants your bike, they will be able to defeat your lock.

I find that even on group rides when a number of us stop at a 7-11 for example, I'm often the only guy who locks his bike, and trust me, my bike is the least valuable bike there :D but I always lock it, even if it is just with a wire lock.

Double loop lock....
LATTE-2.0-MAT-BLACK-450.jpg

16447000_o2.jpg

I use the K9 - ATTAX!

28761010150345553949247.jpg

My dog on his way up Norikura

Normally when training I never carry a lock, However If I do need to leave the bike, normally when commuting or riding to ther train station on the mule then I use the Kryptonite Kryptokeeper with 4' Flex Cable

lock-999416.jpg

Obviously not possible with the amount we spend on our silly carbon wonders, but when I was out street riding on my BMX with a load of lads, and we all wanted to go into the pub at the same time for a pint, we would 'lock' our bikes up by creating a lovely BMX pile.

Getting them apart again was part of the fun, and we never had a bike nicked in all the years we did it.

s780_90149400_1250650296.jpg

Yep used to do the same down in Brighton - rozzers wouldn't touch them either.

I just use an old toestrap or cheap 100y store lock. Plus the best lock of all, 'bike karma'. Surprisingly in over 35yrs cycling I've never had a bike stolen. Only the parts off it (brakes once in Greece, Pump a few times, Saddle, etc). But then, I don't generally leave my bike in extremely tempting locations unwatched or unattended. In Japan, the main thing is to simply restrict 'ride aways' as it is a custom that an unrestricted bike is somewhat 'available' for 'borrowing'. Do watch out for higher end roadbikes, though, according to our local policeguy - who talked to me again yesterday - there are some nefarious 'gangsters' going around spotting high-end bikes to steal and then sell abroad (SE Asia, mainly - Vietnam, Spore, Malay). This ring is active around Shinjuku area, btw.

I prefer combination locks over keys. Mine is not very substantial either, but it's light, fits in a bottle on the bike and is long enough to reach both wheels or multiple bikes...or a large tree.

But I only ever leave the bike to run into a conbini.

CP-SPD07-RD-450.jpg

I find that even on group rides when a number of us stop at a 7-11 for example, I'm often the only guy who locks his bike, and trust me, my bike is the least valuable bike there :D but I always lock it, even if it is just with a wire lock.

I must admit, I have a strange feeling too when everyone else in the group doesn't lock their bike at a conbini and I usually still do. It's just habit and I don't worry about the weight or air resistance or unstylishness of a lock on my bike at any time.

However, I will often do something else that's quite reckless and walk into a shop while leaving the 24,000 yen smart phone on the bike holder of the locked bike. Sometimes I'll cover it up with my helmet or a plastic bag, but not always.

Perhaps it's my rural upbringing or 19 years in Japan (or a combination of the two). Whatever it is, whenever the subject of theft comes up in online chats, I realize how relatively safe I feel in Japan.

There is theft of high end bikes as mentioned by Tim/GSAstuto's neighbourhood cop, but the vast majority of bike thefts in Japan are of unlocked mamachari (shopping bikes) for rides home from the station or pub.

Well, from the sticks...

I never carry a lock, except on my pub bike when going downtown explicitly for shopping. (or drinking) That one is a long cable w/double loops and a key padlock, mainly so I can lock it to something and use that to keep the bike standing.

Otherwise, just lean it against the front window of the combini.

Also, Stu--great diagram!

Nope he runs beside the bike - ultra light weight bit of kit, even comes with a harness to drag you up the climbs.

I prefer combination locks over keys. Mine is not very substantial either, but it's light, fits in a bottle on the bike and is long enough to reach both wheels or multiple bikes...or a large tree.

But I only ever leave the bike to run into a conbini.

CP-SPD07-RD-450.jpg

Combination locks are great - you don't even need any tools to open them, just time. Safe enough though, if you don't leave the bike for as long it takes to figure out the combination, eg less than 10mins.

If commuting, I have an ABUS cable lock that I bought with me from the UK. As for carrying, I just wrap it round the handlebars and it never gets in the way. Long detours/hill repeats on the way home, not an issue.

For general cycling, I never take a lock. Like JDD, being in the country, it isn`t an issue. If you do need to leave it, there are always some tricks you can use - leave in the highest gear, drop the chain, undo the quick releases, rub the brake etc...

Thanks for the thoughts and pictures!
@Joe - looks like a nice size lock and you've rigged it nicely/simple to carry on a ride. @Owen - looks slightly better than the single wire locks and enough to stop passing idiots + I love the bike heap @Fareast - that's the lock I brought with me from Uk and serves well at home here! @Desune and Stu - I like the loop lock - makes a lot of sense and could be attached like Joe has - where did you get yours?

I had a look this type too, but it felt like I could break it with my bare hanads and a bit of twisting action!!!
bordo6000-350.jpg

Having read a couple of articles and youtubed a bit in the last 24 hours, I've realised the
> thickness of braided cords make no difference to slowing a thief (even small hand cutters go through thick ones) - so a lighter cord like Owen's is as effective as my solution :eek:
> Barrel combination locks should be avoided
> the hardened steel chain types (even the slimmer, lighter varients) are actually a lot better than cords - so providing I find one with a strong but lighter lock I might go that route to fit in the sandle bag...

Back
Top Bottom