What's new

Bike Insurance

Pete

Speeding Up
Sep 22, 2006
Hello TCC Members. Happy Christmas and all the best for the new year.

I'm just wandering if any one has taken out any form of insurance for their bicycle in Japan. No, I'm not trying to sell it:D

I used to have it in England and it was fairly cheap for Third Party Insurance. I'm kind of worried about what would happen if a cyclist causes an accident and hits somebody or a car. The damage claim may be quite high. It would also be nice to have some cover for a bike in case it's stolen. Bikes seem to disapear quite quickly even with good locks don't they. Let':pray: it doesn't happen but, just in case, some insurance would be nice. Oh dear, I hope I don't sound too pessermistic.

hi Pete!

Merry Christmas!:D

You must have been reading my mind, I have been looking into the same thing.

My house and contents insurance covers the bike if it is stolen from the house (rather unlikely), so I have been trying to find something to cover a theft or accident outside but to no avail. So at the moment the only thing I can say if the bike is nicked is that someone took it when it was locked up outside the house ;) (a huge lie, it lives inside of course).

Yes folks! Can anybody suggest an insurance company which would cover damage and theft outside the house? (that does not cost the same as the bike itself?)

ash

Hi Pete-san and Ash-san,

there were many insurances which cover damage and theft. But recently many company quit such kind of insurance.:( I will check again and if I get some info I will report.

Our cycle club has a deal for specific cycling insurance..covers road, races anything to do with a bicycle...

We pay 3000 yen a year. A lot of our riders have claimed on it as well...broken legs, etc... I don't know exactly what it covers but if you like I'll try and find out...

Our cycle club has a deal for specific cycling insurance..covers road, races anything to do with a bicycle...

We pay 3000 yen a year. A lot of our riders have claimed on it as well...broken legs, etc... I don't know exactly what it covers but if you like I'll try and find out...

That's great news. :) Thanks for the information. Maybe there are some other riders who will be interested in getting themselves covered too. It will certainly give me some peace of mind whilist riding. Not that I'm that bad a rider:warau: The British Cycling Federation recommends that all riders get themselves and their bicyles covered. Just in case.

Third Party, Damage and Theft would be ideal. Any other form of cover which comes with the policy will be a great benefit. Thanks again:)

Hi,

sorry for my late reply, but I got some infos.

1. JCA (Japan Cycling association):
If you will be a member of JCA, insurance is automatically available.
=> https://www.j-cycling.org/member/about.html#secure
fee: 4,000 yen (1 year)
appliance:
- damage of rider: from attending a hospotal (1,400 yen a day) to death (2,450,000 yen)
- damage others by bike: 10,000,000 yen (max)
- damage or stolen your bike: none

2.GENERARI:
=> http://www.f-hoken.co.jp/fshop/jitensha/jitensha1.htm
fee: depend of the appliance
appliance:
- damage of rider: check the website
- damage otheres by bike: check the website
- damage or stolen your bike: none

Thank you very much Sora. It's a similar policy to which I had in the UK. And at a very good price. I will enroll in the next week.

Hi Pete-san,

in the case of JCA, the term of membership (1 year) starts from April. So you join next week it will soon end and need another member ship fee for next 12 months. Please consider.:)

Thank you very much Sora. It's a similar policy to which I had in the UK. And at a very good price. I will enroll in the next week.

Back
Top Bottom