What's new

Help Bike Hire / 1 day tours out of tokyo

charlie

Warming-Up
Apr 3, 2012
Hi!

I am coming to Tokyo from London this Thursday for 2 weeks and looking at the warm weather fancy getting out on a bike and get some miles in. I was hoping to get some advice on places to possibly hire a half decent road bike and maybe some advice on routes or even the possibility of joining a group for a ride. I stay with my wife's family in Midorigaoka, Meguro district in Tokyo so the nearest place to that area would be ideal, but happy to travel.

I normally ride a Van Nicholas Euros, and did the Tour of Flanders this last weekend (which I strongly recommend to anyone as a great event to go and do / watch). Failing being able to hire a bike, could someone recommend the nearest decent bike shop to Midorigaoka / Jiyagouka so that I can at least go and have a bit of a look around!

Many thanks for any help,

Charlie Ellis

p.s love the kit design - is it to late to request any of it??

I was actually considering building a few roadbikes for rental. What framesize are you? Cost would be something around 10,000 - 15,000 yen/week with option to purchase. I'd base this on 2 or 3 different models:

1) Carbon road bike. W/105 or Ultegra Groupset and standard WH-R500 wheels.
2) Carbon CX bike. W / CX-70 Groupset and Alloy DB wheels.
3) Ti Randoneur bike. W / 105 or Ultegra, S&S Couplers, rack /mounts and WH-R500 wheels w/ Dynamo front hub.

I was actually considering building a few roadbikes for rental. .

I was hoping you'd do something like this Tim. Would be great as a rental for out of town TCCers as well. Also great for demo for all those carbon bling bits you keep tempting us with. I don't need another bike but would pay a fee to ride one in another city. How would you be covered for insurance?

Sounds like a great idea.... My Van Nick is a 54 but I have ridden bikes up to 56. (I am 5' 10'' / 177cm and abt 80kg, inside leg about 33 inches/83cm).

also looks like might be in Saipan for a couple of days, I see that there is a bit of cycling culture round the island has anyone been there?

I would be tempted by a test ride on that Ti Randonneur with dynamo, Tim! Did you have me in mind when you came up with that spec? ;)

My problem is that I don't have any space for any more bikes at home :(

This is actually a really great idea. And if it ends up being 10.000yen/week, the value is also great! There are other places that rent... rusty mamachariots for 500/a few hours or 1000/day.

I know I'd definitely use such a service if it was available! Do consider shorter renting times though.

Saipan

also looks like might be in Saipan for a couple of days, I see that there is a bit of cycling culture round the island has anyone been there?

Lived there for 5 years, but 10 years ago. Where you there for the Xterra or Tagaman races that just finished up? Or just a beach holiday?

Yes, there are now a lot of bike riders there compared to when I lived there. They also have an annual road bike race, "The Hell of the Marianas".

If you are there on Saturday, I recommend for you to do the Saipan Hash run. A great way to see the hidden parts of the island and to meet the local expats. And drink beer and take in some general silliness.

http://net.saipan.com/personal/spn0022/sh3rev1.htm

But to be honest, Saipan has gone downhill a bit since I was there. But Guam is a happening place.

Enjoy!

Keren

I was actually considering building a few roadbikes for rental. What framesize are you? Cost would be something around 10,000 - 15,000 yen/week with option to purchase. I'd base this on 2 or 3 different models:

1) Carbon road bike. W/105 or Ultegra Groupset and standard WH-R500 wheels.
2) Carbon CX bike. W / CX-70 Groupset and Alloy DB wheels.
3) Ti Randoneur bike. W / 105 or Ultegra, S&S Couplers, rack /mounts and WH-R500 wheels w/ Dynamo front hub.
Re-igniting this thread - did you setup such a service?
I'm going to be in Tokyo for a few weks in October/November and will likely bring my bike with me - but a mate is coming over too and would prefer to hire a bike if possible.
Likely for a few runs in the mountains with one of our friends who is in this cycling club.

I'm also very interested in this. I'm arriving in Tokyo on Sept 5th, and need a bike from then till 13th.
I'm currently riding 3000 kms a year on my BMC Teammachine SLR01, but I'll manage with pretty much anything as long has it has wheels, drop bars, a decent gruppo and is about 56 cm in size. Any help would be much appreciated as I'v scorched the net for information regarding this, but have found nothing.

Sorry - the 56 just went out the door! I have a few bikes kicking around and still considering this venture. When it's 'formal' I'll definitely coordinate with the TCC Sysadmin for promoting it.

Ouch, too bad. Any other bikes available for hire? I'll pretty much take anything that can take me on 50 to 100 km daily rides in that period. Also, tips on other rental options are much appreciated.

I'll ask around - myself and others on the board know alot of the LBS, so maybe we can source one that will have a demo / rental available.

Fantastic! Any help is much appreciated. Looking to do Mount Fuji while I'm there, so if it's possible the bike should probably feature a compact with 11-28 on the rear derailleur.

Back
Top Bottom