What's new

Bike-friendly Roads in Boso?

Edogawakikkoman,

My previous description was kind of vague. I will be moving near the bay, less than 10 km away (I think). It looks like you live farther inland.

I actually ran across your blog a year or two ago, before I found this forum. You have a lot of information and maps there, that I'm slowly reading over. This spring and summer I'll put those maps to use. Thanks.

Some are, some aren't. I look for the green sign listing prices that are usually posted before the toll gate; if there's a price for bikes (自転車, usually at the bottom of the list), then you're good to go. You can also ask the guys in the toll booth, too.

While the thread is bumped, I should probably add to this after checking a couple of the toll roads in my area:

- The signs listing the tolls aren't necessarily green
- Price for bikes may be listed under 軽車両 ("light vehicle", under which bicycles are classified in the Road and Traffic Act)

Phil, Thanks for the "light vehicle" info.

Just curious.. what is the highest elevation in the Boso Peninsula? I used mapmyride.com and pointed to some of the peaks. The highest I could find that way is about 1,300 feet (400m). Does that sound about right? My limited language ability doesn't allow me to search Japanese sites, where the information would be easy to find.

Yeah, 400 m sounds right, that's the highest I've ever seen on any maps.

Back
Top Bottom