Bike Fitting

GrantT

Maximum Pace
Oct 2, 2012
Setagaya
The outside/front side of my right knee started hurting during a flat ride on Tuesday. Haven't injured the knee previously and it's the first time I've felt this kind of pain so I'm thinking it might be some combination of bad bike fitting and the fairly punishing TCC rides I started joining since a couple weeks ago. After reading some online stuff I've tried adjusting the cleat to position the foot further from the crank laterally and to position the foot angle slightly more outwards. Other than this, I'd like to find a shop that will do a fitting for my current bike and see what that does for me. I'm situated towards the east side of Setagaya so Y's Road Shibuya is fairly close, though anywhere this side of Tamagawa is fine.

kiwisimon

Maximum Pace
Dec 14, 2006
Japan
Hey Grant, it might just be an overuse problem. Lay off a bit and then go get Chuck to fit you or wait till he comes to town next.

Kiwi.

Andy in Tokyo

Maximum Pace
Dec 16, 2012
Tokyo
I had a fitting at Y's Road in Ikebukuro last month and they did an all right job, though I imagine there are better places in Tokyo. I had a similar outside-front knee pain to you in the past and solved it by doing a lot of minor adjustments to saddle and cleat position over the course of a few long rides.

GrantT

Maximum Pace
Oct 2, 2012
Setagaya
Thank you everyone for the advice and information. For now I am going to drop the saddle a bit and take it easy for a few days. I ordered some (hopefully) better fitting shoes recently as well and from what I've read I should probably wait for them before a bike fitting. Will see how things go.

May 22, 2007
Kawasaki
halffastcycling.com
Riding my Ti bike is causing me all sorts of pain in my knees (first one, then the other) and ankles at the moment. Carbon bike gives no such issues - indeed, it seems to relieve them. I've checked several times, and all the main measurements are the same. Same saddle. Same bars. Same shoes. Same legs. Except the stem. Stem is too long. But would that really mess with my knees?

So... I have booked a day with Chuck in Norikura next week. Throw all my bikes in the car at Daft a.m., drive 300 km, and get all this sorted out properly. Looking forward to it!

Oct 28, 2012
Tokyo
Aoyama sans shop is just doen the road - he is a very good guy - alot of his business comes from orgainising tours o hawaii - he looks after his customers well

I had almost the exact same issue re: knee and was fitted by Chuck. I do have a slight physical issue with my left leg but Chuck's fitting alleviated the problem and I've had no soreness since. Saddle height, angle, cleat position, stem length and an in-shoe wedge was also used. Soreness or not being properly fitted will give you the most that you can get out of yourself and your bike. I wished I'd done it years ago...