What's new

Bike Crimes!

Thanks for the translation(s).
Riding while "not being ignited" is awesomeness of the highest degree. If I was charged with that I would frame it and hang it on the wall.

ghost-rider-superhero.jpg

Alan "Flame On" W.

Just out of interest, Andy, how did you translate it if you don't read kanji?:confused:

Asked a colleague at work - though at first she had no idea what #7 was (working braking system?), and had to look up the kanji first, and then the meaning! It doesnt mean much to Japanese either!

I think as long as Tim keeps his braking equipment (his legs) in working order, this is how fixies would read this rule.

@Andy - exactly. I got one of these cards from the friendly 'omwarisan' and when I asked him specifically where it said I must have a mechanical brake - he couldn't answer. And the legal code just refers to a 'braking system' capable of stopping the bike within a specified distance. Absolutely NOTHING about having to have brake levers, cables, friction doo-hickey's and all sorts of other nonsense attached to a perfectly functioning bike.

Incidentally what's also wierd is that while riding a bike with 2 kids is ostensibly against 'the rules' - some prefectures are giving out a special bike allowance for parents who have a second child - just so they can purchase a bike to carry 2 kids!! WTF!?

Incidentally what's also wierd is that while riding a bike with 2 kids is ostensibly against 'the rules' - some prefectures are giving out a special bike allowance for parents who have a second child - just so they can purchase a bike to carry 2 kids!! WTF!?

Given Japan`s declining birthrate problem, perhaps the government can introduce a law that it is illegal to ride with one child on your bike but perfectly legal to ride with 2, and even provide you with a free bike with proper child seats if you have two children...

PS: Thanks for the translations. Here in Kochi we go by the old maxim...there is one rule: there are no rules.

Today, I passed a woman in her 60`s and she was pedalling from top to bottom (12 o`clock to 6 o`clock) then when she got to the bottom of the stroke pedalling in reverse and lifting her foot/leg that did the work back up to the top and repeating???

Answers on a postcard please...

View attachment 713

One more pic.

The two smaller wheels on the back lift up to make this thing back into a "BI"cycle.

Electric, of course, if you dropped this thing, you would need two stout helpers to pick it up!

Cheers!

7 Incorrect adjustment of braking equipment

This article

I am not sure, etymologically, why track bikes are called pist (ピスト) in Japanese, but here's a rough translation for the hard of kanji...

On 19th Jan we learned that a Fukuoka man in his 20s was found in breach of the the Road Traffic Law ("Inappropriate braking equipment") for riding a pist bike, i.e., a bicycle with no brakes, and was given a summary order to pay a fine by the Fukuoka Quick Court. According to the Fukuoka Pref. Police, it's unusual for fines to be handed down unless there was been an accident.

The man was (caught) riding his pist bike on a municipal road in Minami ward of Fukuoka city in November 2010. He was summarily indicted by Fukuoka prosecutors in December. On 12th the Fukuoka Quick Court ordered him to pay a fine of 6000 yen.

After (having been caught) riding in Chuo ward of the same city last September, papers were sent to prosecutors. At that time had signed a written pledge saying "I will not ride it again", and indictment had been suspended.

Pist bikes have pedals and wheels directly connected and there are no brakes. They are used for track racing. The Road Traffic Law forbids bicycles without brakes because they may present a traffic danger, and allows for fines of up to 50,000 yen for infractions.​

YMMV

Today, I passed a woman in her 60`s and she was pedalling from top to bottom (12 o`clock to 6 o`clock) then when she got to the bottom of the stroke pedalling in reverse and lifting her foot/leg that did the work back up to the top and repeating???

Answers on a postcard please...

I would guess a stroke victim with paralysis down one side. Good on her for being mobile.

I would guess a stroke victim with paralysis down one side. Good on her for being mobile.

Well yes, if that is the reason then kudos to her for keeping riding. But...
I`ve been trying cycling with just one leg to try and come up with a reason for her style of riding and without clipless pedals, I found it (might be my error or my mama chariot!) impossible to cycle purely with one leg. You still need assistance from the other leg to get the pedal back up past the horizontal. I also found cycling in the way she did to be more painful than normal cycling even with using the other leg for no more than in effect, ballast.

My best guess is limited knee movement...but then, my stepfather had a botched knee replacement operation and he finds it impossible to cycle full-stop so if she can manage the knee movement she does, then only needs to get a mechanic to put in short cranks and then that wouldn`t cause any more knee extension when pedalling in circles. So, still...:confused:

She probably saw you on your mega-bike and thought rhe would do something odd to confound you, on the off chance that you make her into some kind of internet meme.

She wasnt riding a Liquigas CAAD9 and looked like a fat white bloke in drag, by any chance?

Well yes, if that is the reason then kudos to her for keeping riding. But...
I`ve been trying cycling with just one leg to try and come up with a reason for her style of riding and without clipless pedals, I found it (might be my error or my mama chariot!) impossible to cycle purely with one leg. You still need assistance from the other leg to get the pedal back up past the horizontal. I also found cycling in the way she did to be more painful than normal cycling even with using the other leg for no more than in effect, ballast.

My best guess is limited knee movement...but then, my stepfather had a botched knee replacement operation and he finds it impossible to cycle full-stop so if she can manage the knee movement she does, then only needs to get a mechanic to put in short cranks and then that wouldn`t cause any more knee extension when pedalling in circles. So, still...:confused:
Believe it or not I worked at Bridgestone with a guy who had an artificial leg and he rode to and from work quite well with his fake leg sticking out straight. I think he gave it a good hefty push down and then hooked it back up with his toe and gave it another push. It was inelegant but faster than walking and Ageo is a flat city so he was good, head winds must have really been hard work.

She probably saw you on your mega-bike and thought rhe would do something odd to confound you, on the off chance that you make her into some kind of internet meme.

looked like a fat white bloke in drag, by any chance?

That`s me that was! Yes, in all probability she probably saw me coming and thought, `Here`s a guy who looks like he doesn`t have enough to occupy his time...Now, what do I have up my trouser leg...mmm, let me see`

Believe it or not I worked at Bridgestone with a guy who had an artificial leg and he rode to and from work quite well with his fake leg sticking out straight. I think he gave it a good hefty push down and then hooked it back up with his toe and gave it another push. It was inelegant but faster than walking and Ageo is a flat city so he was good, head winds must have really been hard work.

I used to see the occasional guy in the UK cycling with those hi-tech replacement legs so they were able to cycle normally but that really is dedication to cycling. He must have had one massive thigh and one very thin one.

Very OT now, but while heading down 413 from Yamanakako one day I stopped outside 7-11 and had a chat with some Japanese riders wearing Nalsima Friend team kit. One guy on their team had a prosthetic leg. Serious respect for being on that hill with just one whole leg.

He races as well..... without the prosthetic

'Croix de Fer' pass on one leg

Met a guy who did the 'Croix de Fer' pass in the Alps on one and a half legs. That is a 'hardman'.

You know that the salaryman rides with his seat so low because they are taught in elementary it is unsafe to ride if you cannot put your feet down flat. Too bad turning the feet and knees out like a cowboy makes him look like he caught something uncomfortable.

Back
Top Bottom