What's new

Bike Crimes!

Change tunnels into uphill slopes and MANY people into MOST racers with 27 gears and you'll understand the frustrations of the racing singlespeed rider. Fixie riders know the same feeling when the group on the road suddenly decides it's time to change down and the fixie guy wants to put down the power.

Well, I do have my beloved 18 speed road bike and my very Japanese style local bike with single speed.

My point is, if you know you cannot go up that, PLEASE look back to check if anyone following you AND slow down and stop BEFORE you are on the slope.

Everyone of us know that if you are stopped during the slope, and I hope your lock is release fast enough.....

I'm thinking JIS standard here as opposed to ISO or TIC (This is China) standards.

JIS standard is applicable in certain ku / cho boundaries as well. For example the TIC standard may be applied East of Otakabashi and North of Yasukini dori. While the ISO standard shall be held throughout all of Minato-ku and Yokohama. The rest of Tokyo proper with small sections should be held to JIS standards.

TIC -
- Lit cigarette +1 point
- Side saddle delivery girl +1
- Standing rear peg delivery girl +2
- Standing rear peg delivery girl holding umbrella and lit cig +4
- Standing rear peg delviery girl holding umbrella and lit cig with overloaded Donki goods on front, whilst driver talking on keitai, driving wrong way -666 points

JIS - (mainly related to multiple juvenile passengers w/no helmets, ketai while riding and of course the 'clown pedal' technique used by the majority of 'men' riding on bikes far too small for them and/or seats too low)

ISO - disgruntled gaijiin doing their best to uphold the Rules of the Road in honor of their homeleand.

grocery overload - 1
lit cigarette - 2
cellphone - 2
no lights - 2

7 points. That would be a good start.

--HF Mike--

Did you notice the second set of footpegs on the rear..... :rolleyes:

Not looking when pulling out of junctions...

While I admire your ambition in launching this topic, I can't help but feel some concern that such a thread may irresponsibly jeopardise the stability of the TCC servers.

The sheer volume of photographic evidence you'll be uploading could severely curtail the functionality and quality of the TCC site.

I failed to mention in my report on the Hatsumode ride, but on the run in to Kumagaya, we were caught by the fuzz. Some might say the crime was being caught, as we could see the police stopping cyclists on the street ahead. But we cycled on, with no fear that we were doing anything wrong. However we were soon to realise that despite spending the day cleansing our sins in the temples of Chichibu, we had committed the heinous crime #6, riding 2 abreast.

Red cardo! Some hefty looking fines in there, strange they didnt say anything about my missing front light.

My personal hate is anyone cycling on the wrong side of the road, this should be the #1 red cardo offense. These days I insist on going to the left and forcing them out into the road.

P1100129.JPG

P1100130.JPG

逆走

indeed, the biggest common offense (next to ignoring the traffic lights, maybe?) is GYAKUSOU...riding on the wrong (=right) side of the road !! WHY IS THIS NOT ON THE RED CARD? :(

Once in a while, I'm even catching policemen/omawarisans doing 逆走 and I just love their reaction everytime I point it out to them :D !!

I failed to mention in my report on the Hatsumode ride, but on the run in to Kumagaya, we were caught by the fuzz. Some might say the crime was being caught, as we could see the police stopping cyclists on the street ahead. But we cycled on, with no fear that we were doing anything wrong. However we were soon to realise that despite spending the day cleansing our sins in the temples of Chichibu, we had committed the heinous crime #5, riding 2 abreast.

Red cardo! Some hefty looking fines in there, strange they didnt say anything about my missing front light.

My personal hate is anyone cycling on the wrong side of the road, this should be the #1 red cardo offense. These days I insist on going to the left and forcing them out into the road.

P1100129.JPG

P1100130.JPG

Tom, I guess you have explained why it is not on the list...

Actually, given how frequent this is in some parts of the country (e.g. Nagano), I'm wondering whether this isn't even taught somewhere as being correct/safe?? Just like walking against the traffic?

So how does police react when you admonish them?

Erm, the rule about riding on the left side of the road IS on the list.

Look at Rule 2 of the second section in the second picture.

These rules do actually make sense and do actually prove that most people in Japan are riding illegally.

I might photoshop this list and make it into a racing jersey / project it onto the side of the Skytree building.

The main thing I take exception with is the fact that the punishments do not fit the crimes, when you look at the proposed jail sentences and fines.

Good, but it's only a "rule" and not a legal requirement. The first part is all legal requirements, the second part only "rules".

The world is a vampire.

Hold them up to the flame.

Loose all your cool, and cold.

They are merely a little rat in a cage. Nothing but an animal.

EDIT: Top Tip - Don't leave a load of tabs open in Firefox when you are testing out some naughty scripts or you could end up copying stuff from one to the other without realizing it!

The world is a vampire. / Hold them up to the flame. / Loose all your cool, and cold. / They are merely a little rat in a cage. Nothing but an animal.
Owen seems to have caught poetry. Please give all you can to support this debilitating disease. Although not nearly so serious, I used to suffer from short stories once upon a time...

Owen seems to have caught poetry. Please give all you can to support this debilitating disease. Although not nearly so serious, I used to suffer from short stories once upon a time...

Are you sure you aren`t just telling tales? ;)

I think Owen has merely been smashing some pumpkins.

For those of us who `kanji o yomu koto ga dekimasen` can anyone kindly offer a translation of the 10 commandments.

Erm, the rule about riding on the left side of the road IS on the list.

Look at Rule 2 of the second section in the second picture.

OwenJames, you are correct...it is on that "Bicycle Safety 5 General Rules" list; but it only says: "(in principle,) cyclists should ride on the left side of the road"...in principle that is.

It just amazes me that ghost-riding in the opposite direction is not seen as a traffic violation deserving any of those punishments...

For those of us who `kanji o yomu koto ga dekimasen` can anyone kindly offer a translation of the 10 commandments.
Why not!? It's better than working.

To Tim's consternation there's nothing about 'Thou shalt not ride a fixie, dude!'

<translation begins>

Bicycle Red Card

Your acts or behaviour are in contravention of bicycle traffic [laws/rules] indicated by a circle below.

In future, let's observe the traffic rules.

1 Operating vehicle while under the affluence of incohol
2 Ignoring traffic signals
3 Failing to stop at required places [they mean at stop/yield lines]
4 Not being ignited [I think they mean not using lights]
5 Riding tandem
6 Riding abreast
7 Incorrect adjustment of braking equipment
8 Using mobile phones etc.
9 Using headphones etc.
10 Other ( )

Traffic violations on bicycles are subject to punishment.

[on side 2 at the top it details the maximum fines or incarceration sentences for each of the preceding, along with the specific article of law, followed by...]

The Five Rules for Safe Cycling
1 Bicycles (must be in) the road as a rule; sidewalks only as an exception.
2 Bicycles (must) ride on the left side of the road.
3 On the sidewalk, pedestrians have right of way. Bicycles must proceed with care along the side nearest the road.
4 Observe safety rules: Riding while drunk, riding tandem, riding abreast - forbidden; Turn lights on at night; At intersections obey traffic signals, stop lines/signs, and do safety checks.
5 Children must wear helmets.

<translation ends>

OK, for those who dont read kanji (I am most definitely in this group) here are the laws and recommendations.

Law - these are punishable by (long) imprisonment or (massive) fine:

1: Riding under the influence of alchohol
2: Not stopping at traffic lights
3: Not stopping at stop sign
4: No lights on bike after dark
5: 2 riding the bike
6: Parallel cycling
7: Poor brake maintenance
8: Using mobile phone
9: Riding with earphones
10: Other

The recommendations are:

1: Dont ride on the pavement
2: Ride on the left hand side of the road (thats the right side)
3: On a side road, walkers have priority. If you have to be on the pavement, you should cycle slowly close to the road
4: Repeats the laws, no drinking, 2 on a bike, parallel cycling, no lights, stop at traffic lights etc
5: Children should wear helmets

Back
Top Bottom