What's new

Bike check before tour

katakanadian

Cruising
Jan 13, 2010
Hi!

I can change a flat but I'll admit I'm no great mechanic. I'm planning on riding a few thousand clicks this summer but I'm wondering if someone would like to help me assess the road worthiness of my bike. It's been in storage here for 4 years. I got it out yesterday and pumped up the tires but took it down to the LBS to top up. The guy there commented I'd need something done to the derailleur but my Japanese is rusty so I'm not sure what. He said I'd need to go upscale to something like Y's Road and it would cost ~8000Y. Erk. It certainly has been shifting fine in the 20K or so I've ridden it so far.

I'm hoping there is someone who'd like to help me check over my bike so I know what needs replacing and what can be let go for another 2-5000K. My budget is tighter on this trip than any of my previous ones so I don't want to pay for everything being replaced if it's not necessary. At the same time, I'd rather pay for fixes now than get stuck in the mountains far from a bike shop.

ETA: I'm in Taitou-ku north of Asakusa. The bike is 21-speed touring bike.

Yoroshiku onegaishimasu!

Last edited:
Maybe post some pictures of the bike and parts otherwise it might be difficult for someone to know if their knowledge is applicable.

If it is still shifting fine, leave well enough alone? What do you need tuned up? Brakes and tires? Just tell the LBS to do the brakes and not worry about the derailler. YouTube has a heap of stuff on how to tune up bikes. Might be a good time to learn how to do your own wrenching.

If it is still shifting fine, leave well enough alone? What do you need tuned up? Brakes and tires? Just tell the LBS to do the brakes and not worry about the derailler. YouTube has a heap of stuff on how to tune up bikes. Might be a good time to learn how to do your own wrenching.

I'm hearing a slight creak that I think is from a cable so I'm worried something is about to break. I'm worried the LBS guy saw that my derailleur is about to break (but I can't tell) but I'd hate to carry a whole spare derailleur 'just in case' as I'm climbing steep hills. Even here in Toukyou I have really limited internet at my sister's where it's weak signal from next door that I can only use in one spot and that drops out frequently. I have occasionally used YouTube instructionals in the past but it's nowhere near as good as having someone right there.

@katakanadian I have a 9-speed shimano derailleur that's virtually new--maybe 600-800km on it. I'm not at home right now, but I'll check on the actual model (probably LX) and part number a little later.

I'll donate this to your summer tour if you'd like to try it. The only thing I'd ask is that if it's not usable (I doubt this) or if you decided not to use it, that you return it or make a reasonable effort to pass it along to someone who can. PM me via the "start a conversation" link under my icon.

I think it's an older version of this: http://www.wiggle.com/shimano-xt-m772-9-speed-rear-derailleur/

Deore XT rear D-1.png

Deore XT rear D-2.png

(Yeah, I could've wiped the pulley wheels off...)

on edit: I used this DR with friction shifters--it should work with either
downtube or bar-end levers. Not an expert, but I don't think it will work with indexed shifters.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom