What's new

Bike camping Q & A's

Yeah,the hammock option is a good one.

Camped along the coastline and it is easy to find a spot nearly everywhere.

Don't forget to avoid the Ichinomiya area in August because it is hosting the surfing events in the Olympics.

TBH,I would be surprised if you even needed a sleeping bag liner in July/Aug and even September.

You will have a great time but the coastal roads are usually crowded on the weekends and during Obon.
I don't know about this year though due to Covid.

So yes plenty of places to pitch tents, just set up later in the day. There are a heap of convenience stores that have toilets and the sea is great for rinsnng off a days sweat. Plenty of surfers sleep in their cars near popular breaks and tents are also quite popular. hammock offers more ventilation and airflow. agree about caked in a days sweat being yuck!
I have a Big Agnes 2 person tent that I'll be using. If weather permits, I just won't use the rain fly. The idea of a hammock sounds really good for summer, but I already have invested $$ in the equipment I have, so will make do for now. If I really get the bug for bikepacking, I might give one a try.

Camped along the coastline and it is easy to find a spot nearly everywhere.
OK. Good to know.
Don't forget to avoid the Ichinomiya area in August because it is hosting the surfing events in the Olympics.
Oh. Thanks. Hadn't thought of that.
TBH,I would be surprised if you even needed a sleeping bag liner in July/Aug and even September.
My usual rule is it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. But, I think I'll risk it and go with only a liner as long as I'm staying in Chiba. I'll blame you if I get cold at night. 🥸
You will have a great time but the coastal roads are usually crowded on the weekends and during Obon.
I don't know about this year though due to Covid.
I was kind of afraid of that. But, good to know. I'll keep it in mind as I plan.

Last edited:
No worries,you will have an epic adventure.

I did the Tokyo to Tohoku ride twice and rode along the Pacific coast highway both times.
I'm not sure if you can anymore because the course took you right past the front gates of Fukushima daiichi.

However in Japan there is a Southern prevailing wind during the Summer and it helps to blow you North.
So i suggest you cycle from south to north.

Does anybody else have trouble accessing these pages?
What pages? Have you upgraded the operating system on your Etch-a-Sketch?

We only car camp, but a tent with mesh will offer protection from abu and mosquitos. Depending on where you are, that can be a big deal.

I have a stove that uses gas canisters you purchase from an outdoors shop. I like the system, it is easy to use and heats water quickly. Two downsides to this stove are that the canisters take up a fair amount of space, and the canisters aren't easy to come by when on the road.

So, was thinking of getting an alcohol burning stove. My cooking needs are minimal....mostly heating water. I'm thinking the alcohol stove is smaller and the alcohol can be purchased at convenience stores most anywhere. But, I've never used one before so not sure of any downsides. Concerns are that it heats water very slowly and that refilling the stove with alcohol might be a messy job.

If anyone has experience with both types of stoves, which would you take for an overnighter backpacking trip?

overnight, gas. you can get an adapter that lets you use the long cannisters every convenience store stocks.

long extended touring with no convenience stores around alcohol.

You can also get a camping stove that uses the same long canisters kiwisimon mentions ("cassette" in Japanese). Iwatani make one that folds up small and has a plastic carrying box. I use one for coffees and cup noodles when hiking.
Cassettes are way cheaper and much more widely available than the round camping gas. The gas in them is slightly inferior, propane vs. butane (or vice versa?), but I heard it only matters at sub zero temps.
For super minimal, you can make an alcohol burner out of a drink can, as demonstrated in several hundred Youtube videos. I'm clumsy, so I think I'd just spill the fuel, start a fire, and burn my leg stamping it out!

Thanks, @speedwobble and @kiwisimon Didn't know they made converters for the gas canisters at convenience stores. Just had a look on Amazon, and they're pretty cheap. Looks like the way to go since I won't have to worry about a gas canister running out and not being able to find another one.

The thread I needed.

It was very helpful reading all the inputs.

My biggest concern is the wild animals. How worried should one be? I plan to travel from Tokyo to Niigata and camp on the way. I guess best options would be to camp near rivers, maybe under a bridge. What are your suggestions?

Cheers!

I have a stove that uses gas canisters you purchase from an outdoors shop. I like the system, it is easy to use and heats water quickly. Two downsides to this stove are that the canisters take up a fair amount of space, and the canisters aren't easy to come by when on the road.

So, was thinking of getting an alcohol burning stove. My cooking needs are minimal....mostly heating water. I'm thinking the alcohol stove is smaller and the alcohol can be purchased at convenience stores most anywhere. But, I've never used one before so not sure of any downsides. Concerns are that it heats water very slowly and that refilling the stove with alcohol might be a messy job.

If anyone has experience with both types of stoves, which would you take for an overnighter backpacking trip?
I've a gas canister stove for camping, but I got myself an Evernew EBY254 alcohol stove for future bike camping trips (still slowly collecting the kit to do it).
You can get various temps to get water to heat up faster or slower, for example EBY255 DX set will get you hot water in around 5-6min. Without any stand it takes roughly 10min. It's more of a simmer and it's slow enough to cook rice if you are inclined that way.

I've to say, I like this setup a lot, I got it with some evernew ti pots (before the prices sky rocketed) and the whole kit is very light and compact, it just fits into my frame bag.

The downsides are:
Alcohol has less energy, so the fuel is more bulky, but as your trip progresses, the bulk will disappear.
Got to get decent windshield.
You got to get the amount of fuel right, since you can't refill while the stove is hot, since it would self ignite.
Got to be careful not to tip it over, since then you are dealing with an alcohol spill and a fire.
Once you finish boiling/cooking, you've to let the let the alcohol burn out (unless you have Trangia stove).

To me the downsides are easily managed, and it has replaced my canister stove for day treks, since the setup is a lot lighter.
For storing alcohol I use these pouches.

Back
Top Bottom