What's new

Tech Bike Build and Mechanic

ADVeveryday

Cruising
Oct 20, 2013
Hi TCC

Please forgive if this has ever been covered. I used the all powerful search button and it didn't produce a result.

I came here roughly 3 weeks ago with my bike and everything I own. I live here now permanently in Chiba / Tokyo. I have a fully built bike as well as another new frame. I went looking for a reputable shop to build up my new bike (take parts off other and put in new frame). I was referred to Seo Cycle LalaPort in Chiba as they are authorized Cervelo. Great shop and friendly but they simply said NO.

Because I didn't buy the bike there and more importantly I brought it in from a different county, not their distributor, they won't build it.

The manager of the shop was really a great guy and said he would call the cervelo japan distributor abut the problem.

My question is... Has anyone else had this problem and if you want a bike built by an experienced race mechanic in Tokyo / Chiba - who would build a bike that wasn't purchased by that shop?

Thank you so much for any info - I was really surprised when they told me they can't build it!

ADVeveryday

Phil (PM him...email sent) should know somebody near you..I'd consider Seo at Makuhari alo as they are not as busy as LaLaPort and if you pretend to be a long time shopper there...(buy a handful of tubes when you ask... ) they may consider. SEO usually do this kind of stuff for their good customers for free...they also do most repairs at cost to for their customers...therefore they don't want to offer the service to everybody.

I can understand their reluctance to do it, Peter @edogawakikkomandudes advice is probably best. Failing that, there are plenty of shops in Tokyo that will do it. Try @GSAstuto if you have no joy out there. Good luck.

Phil (PM him...email sent) should know somebody near you..I'd consider Seo at Makuhari alo as they are not as busy as LaLaPort and if you pretend to be a long time shopper there...(buy a handful of tubes when you ask... ) they may consider. SEO usually do this kind of stuff for their good customers for free...they also do most repairs at cost to for their customers...therefore they don't want to offer the service to everybody.
Thanks for the advice! I will check with them. Also, check your email. Ty!!

I can understand their reluctance to do it, Peter @edogawakikkomandudes advice is probably best. Failing that, there are plenty of shops in Tokyo that will do it. Try @GSAstuto if you have no joy out there. Good luck.
Is this a common problem among shops here? I understand because I don't have a relationship with them yet. But I asked them "how much can I pay"? And it seemed to be more about their relationship with cer elk japan and following proper channels.

It's called 'Teeth Sucking Wind' -- Combination of 'risk' management, profit losses and general avoidance of dealing with 'customers' they can't understand or explain the <details> of the build to. Well, yeah - just send the bike(s) to me and they'll be back within 48hrs barring any parts that are not in stock or recalled somewhere. (another common absurdity in Japan). Other shops are really good, too - like Sagami and C-Speed and many in Saitema. Out in Chiba -- Garage 25 is cool, etc.

Effect in Setagaya is also good - they don't sell bikes so don't give a damn where it came from and will happily service and build it.

The owner and top wrench is the Canondale Japan Pro Tour mechanic and knows his stuff.

Effect in Setagaya is also good - they don't sell bikes so don't give a damn where it came from and will happily service and build it.

The owner and top wrench is the Canondale Japan Pro Tour mechanic and knows his stuff.
So it's just a service shop? Thanks for the info!

My LBS is the same. If your grandfather didn't buy a bike there they don't want to know you.
Interesting. My local Seo mamachari dealer was super excited to do a derailleur tune on my bike and wouldn't take my money. It was my first time there. I came back with a goody bag for each of them and a beer! Happiest mechanics ever and still in the Seo network. I don't think they're pro bike tuners but they were so friendly.

So it's just a service shop? Thanks for the info!

It's a bike shop with no real affiliation to brands, basically they are there to help ALL cyclists regardless of where you bought the bike.

Back
Top Bottom