What's new

Bike Bags -

bloaker

Sincerely A Dick
Nov 14, 2011
I did a search and read some opinions about bags.
I only have hard cases for airline travel (trico iron case) - so no help for a train.
I have multiple bikes, so I would like one that my biggest bike can fit in, assuming the smaller ones will fit as well.

I have an XL Salsa Fargo and a 60cm Trek 2.1 - both bikes have tall head tubs for comfort. This could pose a problem with bike bags possibly, but I really do not know.

After reading some of the bag comments on this site, I like the idea of the Trico caccoon bottle bag, but no idea if my bikes will fit.

Any suggestions or experience that can help is appreciated.

I have never once put my entire bike in the bag.
I just take off the front wheel and attach it to the back then put the back half in the bag. And tie or tape it off around the head. So the pedals and wheels are covered but the front half is hanging out.

No station dudes have said anything yet and many station dudes have seen it.

Blob,
Very interesting.
I always assumed that the bike had to be totally covered.
Do you have any pics on what yours looks like when you board a train,if not could you post one or two so that we know what to do.I got really sick and tired of removing the pedals,seatpost,etc,and then trying to get everything in the bike bag whilst under the watchful gaze of the inaka taxi drivers!

patrick....
many thanks for that.
I now know that I don't have to be so anal to get my ride on the train.

I don't have a pic but seriously only the back wheel and pedals are covered. the rest is all out.

Last Sunday I was out at Hadano with out an ounce of go in my legs, nor a bike bag of any description.

Got 2 x 70 litre bin liners at Family Mart, and rolled by bike back into one. The mouth wraped it's lips around my long seat tube (57cm), and crankset/chainrings, upon whence I taped the lips shut. Very easy.

I took the front wheel off and put it in the other bag. I had no trouble with it on the train.

I'll not worry so much about taking a bike bag in future.

Dave

Last Sunday I was out at Hadano with out an ounce of go in my legs, nor a bike bag of any description.

Got 2 x 70 litre bin liners at Family Mart, and rolled by bike back into one. The mouth wraped it's lips around my long seat tube (57cm), and crankset/chainrings, upon whence I taped the lips shut. Very easy.

I took the front wheel off and put it in the other bag. I had no trouble with it on the train.

I'll not worry so much about taking a bike bag in future.

Dave

Good to hear that you are back on the bike!!

Frustration...

I bought a Tiago Cocoon today. I showed the guys my bike and they looked at it for a while and decided it should fit. So I bought the bag and headed home.

20120826_1632391.jpg

20120826_1637431.jpg

The problem appears to be the Woodchipper bars (they flare out) and the long head tube. By the time I get the front of the bike in, there is no way the rest will fit.
If I put the forts in, the bag will not clear the bars (like in the picture.
If I put the bars in, the fork will not fit where they should go and the bag is still short.

The good news? The money is not wasted. My wife's 52cm bike will fit.

SO now I am deciding do I go and buy trash bags or is there a bag that will accommodate my odd geometry bike?

Tioga is selling a cocoon for 29ers, so I that may fit better....

other alternative is a 100 yen store bike cover (one of those silver rain covers).

Thanks, I will look into the 29r size... if I can find one.

Short term, I will walk over to the 100 yen store and check out the options.

Frustration...

I bought a Tiago Cocoon today. I showed the guys my bike and they looked at it for a while and decided it should fit. So I bought the bag and headed home.

20120826_1632391.jpg

20120826_1637431.jpg

The problem appears to be the Woodchipper bars (they flare out) and the long head tube. By the time I get the front of the bike in, there is no way the rest will fit.
If I put the forts in, the bag will not clear the bars (like in the picture.
If I put the bars in, the fork will not fit where they should go and the bag is still short.

The good news? The money is not wasted. My wife's 52cm bike will fit.

SO now I am deciding do I go and buy trash bags or is there a bag that will accommodate my odd geometry bike?

bloaker, i have a 58cm bike frame and the bag works just fine for me; TIOGA(タイオガ) コクーン BK(BAR02800) size:1630×870mm

Before you spend money on another bag, try changing your front wheel position further to the center of your bike frame to get it into the bag as the bag zips from the bottom. It does take a little play to get the bag over the handlebars. Usually, i stand the bike on the back wheel to pull the bag over the handlebars and past the crank. See the images below"

I have a Trek 60cm being shipped.
The difference in distance from the dropouts to the handlebars the Salsa to the Trek is roughly 8cm. The salsa will fit a 29 x 2.2" tire and is suspension corrected. The front end is huge.

I tried without the front wheel at all and the end result was the same. The Fork and Handlebars don't seem to fit. This could be that I just don't know what I am doing - this is the first time I have had to bag my bike.

If you look at the pic with the bag, I put the bottom of the fork where it goes and the top of the bag is unable to get over the bars.

I am leaning toward just doing the temporary trash bag route until my trek gets here. The trek is smaller in every dimension. I was expecting to find a bag easily that fit this thing easily. Think I may have been wrong.

I hope my Trek fits as nicely as your bike!

bloaker, sorry to hear the bag does not fit! I hope that you will have use for it when your Treck arrives.

My wife's bike will fit. So it is not wasted money.
She has a size 52 Salsa Vaya and it has 26" wheels... I have not tied yet, but it should fit...

I think the 29er bag will be the ticket. Hopefully.
I am sure the Fargo is just the weirdest bike ever built... Almost the beach cruiser version of a road bike, so I should not have been surprised it did not work.

Thank you to everyone for the feedback and suggestions.

It will work!

Just turn the bag around and slip it over the rear wheel and then hand carry the front wheel. The bag will cover the chain and cranks, which must be covered. Then just pull it up as far as it will go, no need to cover the handle bars or the fork. I have the exact same bag and use it this way and have never been stopped at a station in nearly 10 years of using trains in Tokyo.

Back
Top Bottom