What's new

Bike bag suggestions

j-sworks

Maximum Pace
Feb 5, 2012
Hey,

So I'm looking at a few different bags for attending out of Tokyo rides and training events, my problem with bike bags is the lack of protection (I'm pretty over protective of my baby).

My bike: carbon, 56cm, carbon wheel set --> coming soon!

Where: looking to travel on the Shinkansen with my my special lady

I was looking at the Ploaris bike bag on CR, $138.00 CDN.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

If it is always within your control, I would just get a Tioga Cocoon: http://www.amazon.co.jp/TIOGA-タイオガ-コクーン-ブラック-BAR012/dp/B001G7CQYE 3,500 yen - problem solved. If it is going on planes and you don't have control over it, I would put it in a cardboard bike box. Since you asked. :)

That's the one you have right?

That looks super easy and light which is great, but if it's stuffed in the luggage area on the Shinkansen would it be ok?

So I'm looking at a few different bags for attending out of Tokyo rides and training events, my problem with bike bags is the lack of protection (I'm pretty over protective of my baby).

The purpose of the rinko bag on a train is not really to protect the bike against damage, but to protect fellow passengers from your bike's greasy chain and gears!

Obviously, the bag needs to survive a minimum level of abuse, as you may put it down on rough concrete surfaces sometimes and you don't want it to wear through from that.

My Ostrich bag has a shoulder strap that you attach direct to the frame and feed through slots in the bag, so that it's the shoulder strap and not the fabric of the bag that carries the weight, which I think is a good idea.

Thanks but I'm not much concerned about the local trains, I'm looking for an appropriate bag for traveling on the Shinkansen mainly so I believe it has to fit into the bag carriage. I'm just a little paranoid about my frame.

I have a Serfas hard case that use for flights so I'm good for that, but I need a bag that will offer protection as that is my primary concern, not some dudes suit or his purse...

I'm looking for an appropriate bag for traveling on the Shinkansen mainly so I believe it has to fit into the bag carriage.

Do shinkansen even have bag carriages?

I know TCCer Ludwig used to ride bullet trains all over the place using just a regular bag, and I think he, like many others, would place his bike behind the last seats in a carriage and the wall. Others put their bagged bikes in the space between trains. But perhaps you've got some info about bag carriages that I don't know about.

Deej

Nope no new info from yow what you already know, I'd likely go with the space between the trains.

There's the sapce between the cars, but if you buy your ticket from a person, you can explain you have a bike and request the last seat. I've done this on occasion, and as long as it's available the staff have been happy to oblige.

Nope no new info from yow what you already know, I'd likely go with the space between the trains.

OK, so then unless I'm mistaken, there really are no "bag carriages" on shinkansen. Thus, you probably don't have to worry about your bike being jammed between suitcases, boxes, etc., like you would on a plane.

So something like the Cocoon, or even something lighter gauge, is probably sufficient, especially if you plan on staying close to your bike. Then you can play bodyguard to your baby. But I certainly understand why you would want something with a little more protection.

The wasteful but pragmatic approach is to get some large gomi bags from the conbini. Works on slow trains, fast trains, all trains.

If you have one of the rear seats your bike will be 100 % safe behind you (and the understanding passenger next to you).

If you dont put on some padding where you think it might hurt (derailler, drop outs, etc), and align it well behind those same rear seats.

If there is a space issue behind the rear seats tie it up to the railing in the space between the cars.

A proper bike bag is good and all that but it wont provide much more protection for the bike than a plastic sheet if somebody slams their seat into it

Shinkansen has a small space typically behind the seats at rear of each car that a bike will fit. However - with cocoon - this is hard because you should take both front and rear wheel off. Cocoon bag is perfect for std rinko commutes or portages - and you <can> squeeze it into the inter-car space on Shinkansen. Otherwise, I just use a standard Ostrich bag and put my frame and wheels in it.

Protection is relative. What are you trying - or assuming to protect against? Drunken oyaji falling on it? Tripping while schlepping it up stairs and falling with the bike? Incidental scrapes and gouges due to the wheels banging the frame? The worst thing that usually happens on a train is the drunken oyaji thing, btw. The train jolts and 10 people fall into it. Or the frame falls down horizontal and someone steps on it (happened to one of my customers). So - if you keep the frame upright you are 90% OK. And keep it tucked behind the seat - that's another 5% OK. The rest is just chance occurance probably no worse than actually riding the bike itself.

So - if you're primary rinko portages are Shinkansen - get a bag big enough to allow both frame and wheels (dismounted) together. If it's combo rinko, then get a Cocoon as you can leave the rear wheel on. Bear in mind, the new cocoon's only fit bikes up to about 550mm top tube (510mm seat tube).

That's the one you have right?

That looks super easy and light which is great, but if it's stuffed in the luggage area on the Shinkansen would it be ok?

I agree with most of what's beens said here. I also noticed you can get it from GSAstuto.

Shocked to read that the new ones are smaller than the old ones. My old one fits my 57cm frames. Another example that newer is not always better, and/or of companies trying to scrape a few yen profit off people? I don't know why they'd change it. What I have is great.

My Pandani bag still hasn't ripped.

Been on a number of train journeys with it now...

OK, so then unless I'm mistaken, there really are no "bag carriages" on shinkansen. Thus, you probably don't have to worry about your bike being jammed between suitcases, boxes, etc., like you would on a plane.

So something like the Cocoon, or even something lighter gauge, is probably sufficient, especially if you plan on staying close to your bike. Then you can play bodyguard to your baby. But I certainly understand why you would want something with a little more protection.

Haha yeah I'll be close for sure ;)

@Tim

You mentioned all of my worst fears as far as what could go wrong, but I'll likely be fine as many have stated. So I will probably go with a bag that fits what you suggested, and is sensible for carrying to the station and so on.

The main use is for the Shinkansen and not local commutes, for example your possible training camp in september and weekends like the lake Haruna one.

Yeah- what's up with that anyway!!? The latest ones we got in are definitely smaller cut than the last stock. and THOSE were smaller than before!

I'm going to send one over to our Chinese friends and have them clone this - but in a size that will fit at least a 60cm bike! There is no benefit whatsoever to making these too small - even the extra material is literally 5yen maybe. Grr...

Any requests in color? Patterns? I'm going to simply clone it 100% with just increase in length and height.

I agree with most of what's beens said here. I also noticed you can get it from GSAstuto.

Shocked to read that the new ones are smaller than the old ones. My old one fits my 57cm frames. Another example that newer is not always better, and/or of companies trying to scrape a few yen profit off people? I don't know why they'd change it. What I have is great.

This
tcc_logo_l.png

screen printed on the side would be cool :D

I'd go for one (maybe go for one anyway - 58 cm please).
AW.

Back
Top Bottom