What's new

Bicycle Value -

bloaker

Sincerely A Dick
Nov 14, 2011
I may actually unload two of my bikes to pick up one to replace them.
I kinda mentioned just buying the new bike... initially the wifey was luke warm to the idea, but now I believe I have to find a way to make it worth her while...

So I have my Trek 2.1 and Scott Team CX bikes I would consider expendable to buy the new one. But that would only work if my bikes are actually worth something on the Japanese Market.

Bike #1 - 2011 Trek 2.1 60cm
Ultegra 9sp Shifters/Derailleurs.
Bontrager Wheels
FSA Compact Crank.
485726_10150829541862808_2130782949_n.jpg

Bike #2 - 2010 Scott CX Team 56cm
Sram Apex Shifter/Derailleurs/Crank
TRP Brakes
Ultegra Hubs, Alex28 rims.
149460_10150894388032808_1933212459_n.jpg

Both bikes are ridden but in good shape.

-----

I want this...
bikes_Colossal2_2013_2.jpg

Can someone ball park me the values of my two bikes?
Just kinda feeling it out.

How much does the Salsa cost?

The bigger bike at 60 cm would be harder to sell , part it out?

It is CX season so put the Scott on auction with a reserve and that will tell you market price ptretty soon.

Have you done searches to see what simmillar sells for here in JPN?

I may actually unload two of my bikes to pick up one to replace them.
I kinda mentioned just buying the new bike... initially the wifey was luke warm to the idea, but now I believe I have to find a way to make it worth her while...

I want this...
bikes_Colossal2_2013_2.jpg

Can someone ball park me the values of my two bikes?
Just kinda feeling it out.

In Japan I am not really sure where to search (ie reliable).

I know what they sell for in the US - both would be around $1000
New:Scott $1960, Trek $1510 - I have swapped the drive trains between the bikes

I also do not know the Salsa price in Japan.
The US price is $2300

Wait, the front brake cable/tube is attached to the front of the fork & then goes round the inside of the fork to the brake? Surely that cant be good.

I'm not sure I see the problem with the cable routing. If the cable runs behind the fork then you have the issue with frame clearance on sharp turns. The only potential issue would be if a stick or some other object were to get wedged up in between your wheel and fork, I would then be more concerned about my spokes than brake cable. Downhill bikes from Santa Cruz and several other manufacturers also run their brake lines that way - so the MTBs seem to survive it fine in off road conditions.

I would also suppose running it outside the fork has its own dangers.

Expendable bikes are great, and they are more valuable than they seem.

You can ride them anywhere, anytime, without worry.

I'm not sure I see the problem with the cable routing. If the cable runs behind the fork then you have the issue with frame clearance on sharp turns. The only potential issue would be if a stick or some other object were to get wedged up in between your wheel and fork, I would then be more concerned about my spokes than brake cable. Downhill bikes from Santa Cruz and several other manufacturers also run their brake lines that way - so the MTBs seem to survive it fine in off road conditions.

I would also suppose running it outside the fork has its own dangers.

Fair enough. It just looked a bit odd to me but I will admit I have no experience with discs. I also looked on the Salsa website & all the bikes I saw there ran it down the back of the fork.

Fair enough. It just looked a bit odd to me but I will admit I have no experience with discs. I also looked on the Salsa website & all the bikes I saw there ran it down the back of the fork.

I do agree on it looking odd.

Wait, the front brake cable/tube is attached to the front of the fork & then goes round the inside of the fork to the brake? Surely that cant be good.

That cable routing is absolutely correct. Running the hose/cable outside the fork exposes it to the risk of damage and subsequent brake failure if you clout a rock or the bike falls onto its left side. Look at any MTB; they're all like this.

Back
Top Bottom