What's new

Review Bicycle stands for indoor use (2013)

JackTheCommuter

Maximum Pace
Apr 3, 2012
I am looking for advice on what stand is recommended to store the bicycle indoors.

My use case:
  • Store the bicycle inside
  • Non-permanent installation.
  • Daily use.
  • Minimum space.
  • Attractive.
  • Reasonable price.

I'm thinking of this stand from Minoura.

Any recommendations?

That is slick, I wonder how stable it is? Would it still be standing after a medium quake?

For just a little more, you could have the one that holds two bikes....

Minoura Tower Stand
Even if you only have one bike, getting the bike off the floor, near the ceiling, would free up the space under the bike, you could put a bar on the bottom bike holder and hang your cycling kit from that, just an idea. With the tower stand you would need to make sure you get the top end of the pole on a ceiling joist, something solid, you don't want to pop a hole in your ceiling, but otherwise I would say that could be a good option as well. I do have to say that the one you show does look good.

Cheers!

I have the towerstand and found it a pain to set up, and find it a pain to hook my bikes on vertically. I moved it from my bike room to my garage and still use it, but don't know if I would go as far as recommending it. It would stand up to an earthquake, but I curse every time I have to put a bike on it and take it off.

John: Good to know regarding the challenge in setting the bicycle vertically. Does it get easier with experience? Doesn't sound like it.

Bloaker: Just one. I'm the only one I the family that cares about bicycles! :p

I have two Minoura Gravity Stands in my living room.
They have done fine over the past few little quakes.
I have the two heavy Salsa's on the bottom and lighter bikes up top.

The only problem, is with 1 bike, it may take up more room than you want.

If you check this page, I have the `Bike Pit`
http://www.minourausa.com/english/storage-e.html

I bought it, as just needed one that hangs the bike vertically and didn`t have a big base with legs sticking out (as needed it as close to the wall as poss). Only trouble was, on getting it you find out that the top is spring-loaded and needs a solid ceiling above it to stabilize itself against, which meant I couldn`t put it precisely where i wanted, but it has held up fine with no probs. Just hang the bike between the spokes on the rear wheel, 2 second job.

Btw, the one you linked to looks v nice.

I have the gravity stand and the legs at most stick out as much as my handlebar.....

Now the handlebar on my bikes are wide, so i check the wife's and at most, 2 cm wider than her bars. So the base is not too big as you need that space to take the bike off the stand anyway I considered flow to ceiling models, but I also saw i might be face with issues putting it in certain sports.

We have the Minoura tower stand that Stu linked to. It does keep the bike off the floor, allowing you to keep other items in the space around it, which is why we picked it for our crowded entrance hall with three bikes (two on the floor, one up on the stand).

However, as Stu pointed out you need to make sure the ceiling is strong enough to take the spring load force, otherwise you may end up poking a hole into the ceiling (we checked with our builder to be on the safe side!).

Another issue is that if you or bump into one end of the bike while it's suspended or push or pull at one of the suspension hooks while hanging or removing the bike, the leverage may cause the pole to turn around its axis even with small forces and that in turn can make the top end wander sideways from its original position with time. So some time you may have to readjust it. It's not a big deal though.

Otherwise it's quite stable and I wouldn't worry about it in an earthquake. It's unlikely to fall in any quake that doesn't break the ceiling ;)

Thanks for the advice everyone. I ordered the Bike Pit, the spring loaded pole that will hang the bicycle vertically. The wife sprung another requirement: "I don't want your filthy bicycle touching my floor!" :)

I'll post a review after a bit of use.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I ordered the Bike Pit, the spring loaded pole that will hang the bicycle vertically. The wife sprung another requirement: "I don't want your filthy bicycle touching my floor!" :)

I'll post a review after a bit of use.

Bike Pit is awesome, but with two Bikes on it still takes up considerable space. If the pole is close to a wall horizontal hooks most likely take up less space and the bikes look better, are easier to hang. I didn't have the horizontal space on my balcony though.

These little gel pads are great

taishin.jpg

耐震くん Taishin-kun ("Mr. Quake-resistant")

They cost next to nothing. Put four of them in a square on a piece of wood, and one in the centre on the other side. It'll distribute the load over a larger area of ceiling, and the pole will never slip, shift position, or make a nasty mark on your ceiling. Works just as well on painted or papered surfaces. I have hundreds of them.

Does somebody know where I can buy the BikeTower10 or the corresponding Cradle in Japan?

Does somebody know where I can buy the BikeTower10 or the corresponding Cradle in Japan?

I don't think I have the Minoura one, but basically the same thing. I ordered mine through Asahi Cycles on Kannana. Basically they used a bunch around the shop and I told them I wanted one.

Suspect rakuten would probably be easier/cheaper. (i went to pick it up, not a small item).

Yep, I just got one from my LBS after seeing they used them around the shop. At first they were a little "huh?", but then got one out of the backroom for me and I walked out with it that day. Might even be the Minoura one, haven't checked.

Back
Top Bottom