What's new

Bicycle Stands for in the house....

bloaker

Sincerely A Dick
Nov 14, 2011
I live in a condo. Currently I have three bikes inside the place. I have 4 more en route to Japan from the US, but still have not made it yet.

My wife has suggested we store some of them in the parking garage... It is gated with cameras, so not really too big of a security issue, but... I don't like it.

I told her we could put her three down there and keep my 4 up here... How do you think that went?

So... I need a 4 bike bike stand for in the house. Anyone have suggestions? I would like to store the lighter bikes on the stand in the living room. The MTBs can be stored in my office without an issue.

I just need to find something that will look nice and keep the wifey happy.

I use two largish ceiling hooks to hang one bike upside down--is installing those an option?

No, unfortunately.
I had a set up with hooks in my old garage that worked perfectly.
But for an condo I do not own, I do not want to put any holes in the ceiling or walls.
Also, from an aesthetic standpoint, I need for it to look nice and prevent any 'complaints'

Glad to see you're walking the walk vis-à-vis Rule 12.

There are similar items on the market here but I've only ever seen them constructed from Al (e.g. this), rather than wood.

The wood one is nice. If you ask nicely they might sell you extra hooks that you could attach facing the other way, i.e., two on the front and two on the back. There are enough mounting holes to do this, so it's just a question of whether the wood will support the combined weight of four bikes. You might have to jiggle them around to make sure the pedals and bars don't collide, but it should work somehow.

If ceiling hooks is not an option, you can build a cheap tall pipe frame, a la frame wire cabinet with a broad base. Using S-hooks, you can then hang your bicycles. Width of your room is your limitation on the number of bicycles you can hang...

You can buy these pipes in big home centers and connected together using a special glue. A Sunday DIY project....

It's a myth that you are not allowed to drill walls of rental apartments in Japan. You just pay what it takes to fix them, usually between 300 and 500 Yen per hole. I bet this is in some real estate rulebook.
Then again, some of the paper walls are to meek to support anchored screws.

One optically pleasing solution I've found is to use a product from Minoura that is a height adjustable pole. There is a spring inside so you can fix it between floor and ceiling. It comes with hooks to hang bicycles from and I believe they make a four bike version. Recommended

The one that Mike shows is good, and the same company makes this one too.....

http://www.monotaro.com/g/00367649/

mono39118387-120117-02.jpg

Or if you like you could make the post part yourself and just add the hangers....

mono39118335-120117-08.jpg

http://www.monotaro.com/p/3911/8335/

These things are all the Minoura company, so I'm sure that they are for sale or by order from most any place. I show the links with Monotaro, but I've found that Monotaro can take a long time get the products they show.

Cheers!

I live in a condo. Currently I have three bikes inside the place. I have 4 more en route to Japan from the US, but still have not made it yet.

My wife has suggested we store some of them in the parking garage... It is gated with cameras, so not really too big of a security issue, but... I don't like it.

I told her we could put her three down there and keep my 4 up here... How do you think that went?

So... I need a 4 bike bike stand for in the house. Anyone have suggestions? I would like to store the lighter bikes on the stand in the living room. The MTBs can be stored in my office without an issue.

I just need to find something that will look nice and keep the wifey happy.

3 bikes in Japan and 4 bikes on the way? your wife must be pretty cool! :D:cool:

3 bikes in Japan and 4 bikes on the way? your wife must be pretty cool! :D:cool:

She is outstandingly cool.
She puts up with my crap and bad habits.

I suppose she is OK with it because I use them all.

I have three bikes in a very compact space. 2 on the Minoura floor to ceiling rack mentioned above, and 1 standing in front of it. But 2 of the racks could easily fit in a compact space.

They may look flimsy, but on March 11 last year the rack didn't move an inch, whilst other things in the same room fell and shattered.

I was at Y's in Shinjuku BYGs today, the floor to ceiling unit "Bike Tower 10" was 14,805 yen the freestanding unit, "P-500AL-3" was 15,750 yen.
Both in stock

FYI

Thanks for Looking out!
I will check the y's in Yokohama and see if that have something. If not, I may head up that way. Maybe take the wife for dinner somewhere new.

I am half tempted to just have one shipped from the states.
I am not 'sold' on any exact model. it just has to be one she wont complain about in the living room.

** that said, we do have 7 bikes between us, so this is a small concession on my part **

Topeak

...make this!

20121010_152923.jpg

It will hold four bikes easily, and takes up very little space.
And, an AMAZON link.

Move into a bigger place.

This will fix nothing. Bigger place means wife buys more crap. :)
It's her house, I am just allowed to live in it. :)

Our place is actually quite big for two people. She and I do not agree on what is necessary. She lived here two years before I got here. So there is 2 years worth of her filling this place up. Slowly but surely, I should be able to dwindle the unnecessary stuff down, but I need a quick fix for the bikes while I methodically work on the bigger problem.

Thanks for the links, I am checking them out!

Back
Top Bottom