What's new

Bicycle Registration Number Plate In Tokyo....?

StuInTokyo

Maximum Pace
Dec 3, 2010
According to >> THIS << article in the Mainichi Shinbun this could come to pass.

Initially I thought "WTF? MORE big brother in our lives? Great....:mad:" but on reading the article in the translated mode >> HERE << instead of poorly in Japanese with some help from my lovely wife :eek: I'm thinking that if this stops people from just dumping their bikes, and if it makes theft and reselling a bike much more difficult, then maybe this is not such a bad idea. Of course it will really depend on how stupidly it is implemented, and I have no doubt that if it can be stupidly done.... :rolleyes:

I think they just want bicycle registration mandantory. Right now it's more or less voluntary. But this still doesn't deal directly with the problem of abandoned bikes - even if they could track down the registered owner, what does that prove? What they should be doing is putting into place an easy system for recycling and also access by NGO / NPO. I was involved in such and quite honestly, the local govt agencies were the problem, not the solution. We were ready to start shipping more than a container load a month - if only we could get the bikes! J Govt has its head up its .

We used to have them back in Belgium (dont' know if the system still exists over there). I remember I was so proud to get my first number plate - I thought they were cool! Not sure if I'd like one on my road racers....

According to >> THIS << article in the Mainichi Shinbun this could come to pass.

Initially I thought "WTF? MORE big brother in our lives? Great....:mad:" but on reading the article in the translated mode >> HERE << instead of poorly in Japanese with some help from my lovely wife :eek: I'm thinking that if this stops people from just dumping their bikes, and if it makes theft and reselling a bike much more difficult, then maybe this is not such a bad idea. Of course it will really depend on how stupidly it is implemented, and I have no doubt that if it can be stupidly done.... :rolleyes:

I can think of at least several ways they can deal with the abandoned bike issue besides introducing more bureaucratic nonsense:

1) Make it easy and accessible for NPO / NGO to claim bike for humanitarian efforts.
2) Take bikes and recirculate them into the community as 'free cycles'.
3) Localize the recycling centers so people can just drop off the bike instead of abandoning it to avoid paying some stupid 'gomi' fee.
4) Setup youth programs to repair and resell the bikes or donate them back into their own communities.

With some supermarkets selling cheapo mamacharis for ¥8,000 They are considered disposable items. Who would bother going out of their way to the bike pound to pay ¥3000 to get back a year old rusting, squeaky, ripped saddle pile of pooh?

I can think of at least several ways they can deal with the abandoned bike issue besides introducing more bureaucratic nonsense:

1) Make it easy and accessible for NPO / NGO to claim bike for humanitarian efforts.
2) Take bikes and recirculate them into the community as 'free cycles'.
3) Localize the recycling centers so people can just drop off the bike instead of abandoning it to avoid paying some stupid 'gomi' fee.
4) Setup youth programs to repair and resell the bikes or donate them back into their own communities.

No money in that Tim. Not likely to be popular. My favorite (#2) Seriously a bank of free for use bikes scattered around the 23 wards would save parking problems cause they would always be on the move. Paint them pink and yellow and let the public have at them. The surplus unused bikes can go into car carrying ships bound for Africa or SE Asia.

My bike has yet to be attacked by a male baboon mistaking it for a female in heat!

Been chased by any wild boar yet? You better watch out! The main issue with share a bike programs is that the bikes tend to aggregate in a single location. Then you need to somehow redistribute them. But all these problems are solvable with a little injinuity and flexibilty - something, unfortunately, very absent in Japanese govt.

My bike has yet to be attacked by a male baboon mistaking it for a female in heat!

Back
Top Bottom