Bicycle planing

GSAstuto

Maximum Pace
Oct 11, 2009
tokyo
www.roadfixie.com
I think alot of this is simply attributed to riding a bike that fits well, is road responsive without being jarring, has sufficient suspension qualities without becoming mushy. When you get in synch with a good bike you know it. The pedaling becomes smoother, curves negotiated faster, bumps and road inconsistencies are absorbed without complaint - so your pedal stroke doesn't become interrupted. One of the main reasons I love Ti for long ride bikes. It's supple, lively, good suspension characteristics and matches my general 'ride feel' wishes. Everyone is different, for some , steel is a better ride, or alloy, or carbon. As for calling it 'planing' - I guess that's as good a tag as anything.

Jan 14, 2007
Noda
japanichiban.com
Wheels make a big difference as well....
My old bike would plane better with the Cosmic Carbons on...

I haven't been able to get a good planing rhythm with my new bike yet...
I hope to figure out how soon... or go back to the same kind of frame I had before... :eek:

GSAstuto

Maximum Pace
Oct 11, 2009
tokyo
www.roadfixie.com
I think alot of this has to do with the harmonic balance of the machine, as a whole. Setting up a resonance circuit, if you will. You need sufficient dampening to avoid going into harmonic resonance and at the same time too much dampening will make the bike feel dull. If the Q factor is too high, then you get a peaky dampening resulting in harsher ride feel. So - matching all the components so you get a good balance of dampening and positive reinforcement of the power waves you do like will result in what they are calling 'planing'. This is not unlike loudspeaker design (which I did for years). A perfectly neutral speaker does not always sound the best. Same with bikes, we can build the stiffest, lightest machine and alot of riders will hate it. At the same time, we can build something akin to a sloppy noodle and alot of riders would love it. BTW - I'm loving my carbonfiber wheelsets. I have ultra lightweight (21mm), medium duty (38mm) and deep aero (55mm) - they all provide a completely different roadfeel and response when coupled to my bike. Now I just wish I could have morphing wheels so that I could instantly change the characteristics based on the terrain / purpose.