What's new

Article Bicycle Lane Article in Mainichi Today (Oct. 26)

tarepanda

Speeding Up
Sep 23, 2011
I saw the headline on the front page, didn't get a chance to do more than skim over the article... but it looks like the police are going to start trying to shift people into bike lanes that replace car lanes in some areas?

I saw the headline on the front page, didn't get a chance to do more than skim over the article... but it looks like the police are going to start trying to shift people into bike lanes that replace car lanes in some areas?

Haven't read the article but wouldn't be surprised if they do. Hope it will just remain a temporary thing part of a special campaign and that it will not escalate into forbidding cyclists to ride for instance along Ome-kaido up to Yanagisawa...could you imagine that!

Those bike and pedestrian lanes are downright dangerous (mostly too narrow, pedestrians - dog walkers on them, lots of blind angles with cars coming out of drive-ins suddenly crossing, etc.). Tohachi-doro has them in some stretches running through Mitaka and I've heard there has been an increase of accidents just because of these lanes which were introduced last year.

So much safer to stay on the left side of the main road (car lane) but try to tell that to bureaucrats!

From what I saw, they want to put cyclists on the main road in a special bike lane, with pedestrians being restricted to sidewalks.

From the article...

"Pists, which only have a high gear, cost from ¥50,000 to ¥80,000, and racing versions ¥100,000."

Haha. That is SO true.

From the article.....

A case in point is a man who used to be a known street pist rider who championed the style.

He moved to Tokyo in 2004 after living in New York for 25 years. The long-time pist rider was interviewed for a magazine article back in 2006. In the article, he said it was cool to ride modified bikes on the street.

"I got lots of angry comments from people blaming me for pist accidents, and friendly comments from people who enjoy pist riding," he said.

But things have changed.

"I stopped riding a pist three years ago. For me, riding a pist with brakes is unthinkable and I don't want to pay a fine. I cannot truly enjoy riding a pist in this country, so I quit. I now ride a normal bicycle," the man told The Japan Times.

.... anyone we know? :D

it would be nice if they would at least spell piste with an "e", better if they would use the english language term "track bike", and even better yet if they'd use the historically accurate term for fixed gear bikes, "safety bicycle".

It would be nice indeed if 'they' actually attempted some semblance of conformance to proper etymology and linguistic use of such sacred terms! I really HATE THIS!!

U.S. English Modern - Track Bike or Fixed Gear
U.K. English Historic - Safety Bicycle or Track Bike
French - Cyclisme sur piste dans les vélos à pignons fixes
Italian - Bicicleta de pista or simply Bici de Sprint

Piste simply means 'a track' - and in fact it's generally associated with an UNPAVED track!

And bikes used for velodrome vary widely as well with about the only thing in common is use of direct driving chain system without cog changes.

Personally they should just use the common JAPANESE TERM of KOTEI to describe riding with a fixed (non-freewheel) bike.

Va fanculo dio cane!

it would be nice if they would at least spell piste with an "e", better if they would use the english language term "track bike", and even better yet if they'd use the historically accurate term for fixed gear bikes, "safety bicycle".

Tim, don't tell us the French would not have found an abbreviation for "Cyclisme sur piste dans les vélos à pignons fixes" - or are they perhaps not en vogue en France?

Back
Top Bottom