What's new

Bicycle bags

GrantT

Maximum Pace
Oct 2, 2012
I'm hoping to come on the next of these Private Tours. Anyway, I need some advice on how to make my bike suitable for carrying on the train back.

The best if you don't have the right swagger for a Pandani, certainly.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll just go for the next-to-cheapest option off of Amazon for now. If I make it to the train I'll probably be showing off more stagger than swagger anyway..o_O

The difference in price between a good one and a gash one is only the matter of a few 1000 yen. Would be wise to get a good one off the bat.

Basically, you need a bike bag. There are various models at different price levels, but IMHO the best is http://fairmean.com/

And if you have a larger bike (like my 63cm) most standard bags won't do. For bikes over 58cm Fairmean was the best balance of portability and function I could find.

Thanks for the advice. My bike is small enough so a standard bag will be fine, and I found the bag/bike cost ratio too high to go for one of the more pricey ones. Maybe another time.

A cheap, big and heavy bag will make riding way more annoying than a small one you put in your pocket and forget until you need it.

Honestly, a super small, lightweight one is the way to go. You will thank yourself when you are slogging up a mountain and you don't have an extra kg thing the size of a rugby ball strapped to your frame.

Also, if the bag/bike cost ratio is an issue, you can easily solve this by getting the mega-expensive bike you truly deserve.

A cheap, big and heavy bag will make riding way more annoying than a small one you put in your pocket and forget until you need it.

Honestly, a super small, lightweight one is the way to go. You will thank yourself when you are slogging up a mountain and you don't have an extra kg thing the size of a rugby ball strapped to your frame.

Also, if the bag/bike cost ratio is an issue, you can easily solve this by getting the mega-expensive bike you truly deserve.

Having slogged up a few mountains with a rugby ball sized bulky bag strapped to my frame I can testify to the lucidity of this man's case. Not only does it add to what you carry but it gets in the way, banging against you when all you need on that climb is the thought of getting to the top you are forced to shift about and collide against that giant wad of bike wrapping. When we get to the station I wonder where they keep theirs as they seem to spring from hidden depths to do the same job my duffel bag does. I am looking around for options to reduce the size and weight of mine.

It really is true. This is probably the only item in cycling where the extra expense really does get you something that is way better than a cheap one (and yes, it hurt me to type that).

I, too have a huge rugby ball sized bag. It's the one thing I hate when I go riding with these guys. A lightweight tiny bike bag is the next thing on my list. It gets in the way on the climbs as my knees hit it on every pedal stroke. I bloody hate the thing. I am so tempted to leave the damn thing at home sometimes and just ride home instead of taking the train. Its either a fairmean or pandani bag very soon for me.

I have the Tioga and Mont-Bell bag.

Tioga takes minutes to get my smallest bike in (and some patience) - The Montbell takes seconds - as well being a fraction the weight.

a fairmean or pandani bag

Yeah, I have been looking around, and still think these two are the main bags to go for. Fairmean stuff is made by a member of the club, and is used by a lot of people on here. Super small, light and made for you. Not sure exactly of how far they are customised for each person, but I seem to remember they are basically custom fit to your bike (someone who has bought one can fill in the details?) They pack down into a tiiiiny pouch which fits in a jersey back pocket with a load of space to spare. Pandani is the one to go for if you are into Jamie Reid inspired punk iconography / flying Pandas. Not custom fit to your bike, but will fit just about any rig, and also packs down into a very small packet; when I have mine in my back pocket, I can also fit half a dozen energy bars, a bike lock and my phone in the same space. Tiny. Also incredibly light, and rapid to use.

And the thing is, the Pandani is about 7-8,000yen and the Tioga is about 4,000yen, so for only a few extra sheets, you get a completely different and better experience. The Fairmean is more expensive, but not greatly (again, can't remember the pricing, but for the thing you get and the service, it is still well in the realms of 'not really much money for what you are getting and what it will allow you to do').

So yeah.

If you can work with a big rugby ball hanging off your bike (you ain't getting that in your back pocket), then cool, but there is a whole world of slick, tiny bags out there for very little extra cash.

I have a bigger one too, I'm having trouble dropping 10000y on a bike bag although I would love the smaller one, they look great and seem to function ver well as well.

Ah, which Mont-Bell bag do you have?
http://en.montbell.jp/products/goods/list.php?category=541500
One of these?
If so, does it pack down small enough to get in a back jersey pocket?
They both do. I have the one-wheel-off (quick carry) version, which fits easily into a jersey pocket or bottle cage.

Unlike other brands where you put the bike into the bag, with the MontBell products the bag goes over the top. The seat sticks out through a hole. It can thus double-up as a windproof poncho. And when stuffed in its bag it makes a reasonably comfortable neck pillow.

LOL, I have taken to wearing the wheel bag of my Pandani over my head and shoulders as a tight poncho on the way to meeting the lads every Saturday morning when it is freezing cold. Don't tell anyone though; it is kind of a fun little thing I do that nobody knows about. I wash all the lipstick and eyeshadow off as well, at the Family Mart on Route 2 before I get to the river, and take the bag off so my secret is safe.

LOL, I have taken to wearing the wheel bag of my Pandani over my head and shoulders as a tight poncho on the way to meeting the lads every Saturday morning when it is freezing cold. Don't tell anyone though; it is kind of a fun little thing I do that nobody knows about. I wash all the lipstick and eyeshadow off as well, at the Family Mart on Route 2 before I get to the river, and take the bag off so my secret is safe.
My lips are sealed.

Back
Top Bottom