BF Pocket Rocket in Setagaya

joewein

Maximum Pace
Oct 25, 2011
Setagaya, Tokyo
joewein.net
Hi fellow riders,

I'm 50 and have been living in Japan since '93 (married, 2 teenage kids). I got into bikes at age 17 and did 7500 km in 5 months one year when I was in high school. Later I got into cars and became lazy.

After moving to Japan I cycled on mamachari or a MTB, later a freebie folder we got from Softbank.

Finally, after moving to Setagaya, Tokyo where my son bought himself a road bike and I virtually stopped using the car I got serious about cycling again and bought a Pocket Rocket (Bike Friday), which I'm greatly enjoying.

I'm more after hours and distance (getting a good workout) than speed and have never raced. Trusting Google Maps on my Android phone I venture out into the unknown to explore, knowing I can always find home again :)

kiwisimon

Maximum Pace
Dec 14, 2006
Japan
Welcome, I love the Bike Fridays, if only they were a lot cheaper. Have a look at Half Fast Mike's postings for the skinny on whats up in the cruisier side of things.

joewein

Maximum Pace
Oct 25, 2011
Setagaya, Tokyo
joewein.net
Welcome, I love the Bike Fridays, if only they were a lot cheaper.
Yes, they're definitely pricey. I rationalized the BF expense to myself by saying that
a) I would probably be using this bike for more than a decade, which makes the annual expense look a bit smaller and
b) I would still pay less for it in total than I lose on annual depreciation on my Toyota Prius, which mostly sits idle (no more than 600 km over the last three month, most of that on a single vacation trip in August).

I'll check out Half Fast Mike's postings, thanks!

DanBell

Speeding Up
Apr 26, 2010
Kawasaki
Yeah, I love the Fridays too. I have no justification for owning one though. Just need to make up a good enough reason...