What's new

Best train lines to the mountains

Joe McCarthy

Maximum Pace
Feb 1, 2018
I'm compiling a list of some of the best train lines that go from central Tokyo out to the mountains. The criteria are:

1. Should be a single line that takes you to within a few kilometers of a mountain range. No changes unless they're really easy (walk across the platform)
2. Should leave from or pass through a central Tokyo station, preferably on the Yamanote loop
3. Should be inexpensive. Ideally under 1000円 one way

So far I have:

Tobu-tojo line, 890円, Ikebukuro to Yorii
Keio-takao line, 390円, Shinjuku to Takaosanguchi
Odakyu line 880円, Shinjuku to Odawara,
Tsukuba express 1190円, Akihabara to Tsukuba
Seibu Ikebukuro line (+seibu chichibu), 780円, Ikebukuro to Chichibu

I've listed each of them here from origin to terminus, but when I publish it I'll include details of stops along the way that lead to mountain passes, plus some other useful information.

Do any of you have a line that you like to use to get out to the mountains that I haven't listed here?

Shinjuku to Okutama on the "Okutama holiday express" (JR特別快速ホリデー快速おくたま). Two direct trains in the morning every weekend/holiday. About 1,000 yen.
Shinjuku to Musashi-Itsukaichi on the "Akigawa holiday express" (JR特別快速ホリデー快速あきがわ). Two direct trains in the morning every weekend/holiday. About 800 yen.

Shinjuku to Okutama on the "Okutama holiday express" (JR特別快速ホリデー快速おくたま). Two direct trains in the morning every weekend/holiday. About 1,000 yen.
Shinjuku to Musashi-Itsukaichi on the "Akigawa holiday express" (JR特別快速ホリデー快速あきがわ). Two direct trains in the morning every weekend/holiday. About 800 yen.
Thanks for that. I didn't know you could do that route direct. I might make a special section for trains with a limited schedule.

You don't need to go all the way to chichibu you can jump off in Hanno. Plenty of riding right out of the gate.

Also the Tobu Tojo line to Sakado or Ogawamachi has some good options as well.

You don't need to go all the way to chichibu you can jump off in Hanno. Plenty of riding right out of the gate.

Also the Tobu Tojo line to Sakado or Ogawamachi has some good options as well.
Yeah, often the best climbs aren't actually at the end station. I think I'm still going to list them all the way to the terminus though and then include notes on stops along the way that lead to good climbs. It's the same with the Odakyu line. The best stations for climbing come much earlier in the journey.

I'm also going to mention that while these trains leave from big stations (Shinjuku, Ikebukuro, Akihabara) It's often easier to get on them from a smaller station a few stops down the line with a rinko bag.

Back
Top Bottom