What's new

Best stuff of 2020

God, this is a dangerous thread. I can feel my money burning with each post.
I can't really add anything other than getting to buy my first road bike (through the TCC classifieds) at an unbelievable price. I was already hooked and loved cycling before that, but entering a world I never dreamed existed has literally transformed my life. I might even start thinking about my diet and healthier living!
Other awesome purchases I got to make in 2020 were lots of coffees and cakes and stuff on rides with TCC legends. I hope to get to do more of that in the remainder of the year, and in future years. Thanks to all!

God, this is a dangerous thread. I can feel my money burning with each post.
I can't really add anything other than getting to buy my first road bike (through the TCC classifieds) at an unbelievable price. I was already hooked and loved cycling before that, but entering a world I never dreamed existed has literally transformed my life. I might even start thinking about my diet and healthier living!
Other awesome purchases I got to make in 2020 were lots of coffees and cakes and stuff
on rides with TCC legends. I hope to get to do more of that in the remainder of the year, and in future years. Thanks to all!
I was a firm believer in the calorie amnesty window after exercise for a very long time. Sadly my body did not.
My biggest aim for next year is (1) eat healthier, (2) ride more for enjoyment and (3) eat healthier
2020 lead me into having a lot of 💩 food to make me feel good for a short time while other things were going to 💩 because of COVID💩19 and then me comparing Japan's and New Zealand's responses to the same economic threat. Not helped by family members telling me of record sales and turnover. I cancelled out a year of steady weight loss in 8 months by have a lot of WTF and IDGAF moments.

If you need a mate to go on a healthier lifestyle drive with, hit me up.

1. Taxc Neo2 purchase - It was a huge discount on Wiggle at the beginning of the year-
I now know how ridiculous are my watts !

2. Some telework = less commuting
I discovered the enjoyment of weekdays morning ride before working. Now in a position to reach 10000km. But this would mean cycling on Christmas ! The priority will be for wine !

3 Watching some pro races without spectators reminded me how cycling is such a beautiful sport with huge crowds along the road.

Was in one of the local uniqlo today, and noticed that the end bins (with the sale/discounted stuff) had some light windbreakers. Definitely not winter wear, but they were ¥1000 and there were some XL.

So this is not a best of 2020 item, but just a rec to check those bins if you're in shops like these. It's "make do" stuff, not actual cycle wear, tho the price may be right.

If you need a mate to go on a healthier lifestyle drive with, hit me up.
That's an awesome offer, @kiwisimon. Thank you very, very much. I would love to take you up on it, but I don't want to make a promise I can't keep.
I'm still FOS about living a healthier lifestyle. to be honest. I haven't gotten the will to do what it takes, just sometimes think about it (which is an improvement on the past). When I look at what the likes of @andywood and @bloaker do, for instance, I'm inspired enormously by the end results until I realize the enormous amount of effort these blokes have exerted to get what they achieved. That takes a commitment I've always directed more toward ice cream, cakes and snacks. Maybe if I was a bit younger? I've gotta say, I'm grateful to shitty food because it drives me to continue cycling, because when I stop, I pile on the kilos in no time.

Not 2020 but also got a Tacx Neo2 (end of 2019) and changed my cycling life. Previously it was estimations of HIIT (without a power meter) on Arakawa. Now it is precise FTP on Zwift whenever my 3 girls are asleep, including the 11 month old, which admittedly is not often overlapping.

Other than that would be a nicer-ish 2nd Castelli KISS pad kit to rotate.

For those of you looking to eat healthier, you may wish to pick up the book The China study: The Most Comprehensive Study of Nutrition Ever Conducted and the Startling Implications for Diet, Weight Loss and Long-term Health (on why a mostly plant based diet is far healithier). Start there. Nothing to lose. I'm not perfect but as of today my 5.4 kg weight-loss since 1st August of this year is attributable to both increased exercise but also better eating. Be good to you. You deserve it.

That's an awesome offer, @kiwisimon. Thank you very, very much. I would love to take you up on it, but I don't want to make a promise I can't keep.
I'm still FOS about living a healthier lifestyle. to be honest. I haven't gotten the will to do what it takes, just sometimes think about it (which is an improvement on the past). When I look at what the likes of @andywood and @bloaker do, for instance, I'm inspired enormously by the end results until I realize the enormous amount of effort these blokes have exerted to get what they achieved. That takes a commitment I've always directed more toward ice cream, cakes and snacks. Maybe if I was a bit younger? I've gotta say, I'm grateful to shitty food because it drives me to continue cycling, because when I stop, I pile on the kilos in no time.

It's all about input over output mate!

🚲🚲🚲🚲🚲/🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺 = steady state
🚲🚲🚲🚲🚲/🍺🍺🍺🍺 = improving
🚲🚲🚲🚲/🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺 = declining

Anyway looking at your strava you seem to be taking it to a whole new level this year.

Keep it up!

Andy

For those of you looking to eat healthier, you may wish to pick up the book The China study: The Most Comprehensive Study of Nutrition Ever Conducted and the Startling Implications for Diet, Weight Loss and Long-term Health (on why a mostly plant based diet is far healithier). Start there. Nothing to lose. I'm not perfect but as of today my 5.4 kg weight-loss since 1st August of this year is attributable to both increased exercise but also better eating. Be good to you. You deserve it.

I've been on a plant based diet for 35 years.

Whether or not I'm healthier for it, I have no idea, as I have nothing to compare it to.

But I agree with you, healthy eating can make a massive difference. So experimenting and trying different things is always a good idea.

Andy

I've been on a plant based diet for 35 years.

Whether or not I'm healthier for it, I have no idea, as I have nothing to compare it to.

But I agree with you, healthy eating can make a massive difference. So experimenting and trying different things is always a good idea.

Andy

My mom, God rest her soul, turned me onto it circa 2001. She was the healthiest 50 year old I knew, and 60 year old, but then in a God calls the innocent home move, she died at 64 of lung cancer on a blizzard day in D.C. in 2014 where none of her children could get to her while watching Jeopardy in the living room with my Dad, having never smoked a day in her life or exposed to asbestos or any other known triggers...after clearing Stage 1 Chemo treatment with the absolute best doctors available from Georgetown hospital in Washington, D.C. Still this book changed her life, mine, my sisters, and many others I recommended it to...allowing people that would otherwise have heart attacks, cancer, and high blood pressure to see the impact of eating too much animal protein, fat, cholesterol and sugar. Sorry for the downer of a reply but if I and she can help make an impact, I will do that, unapologetically. Eat a varied, rich, plant, nut, and bean based diet. You need meat sometimes, I get it. I probably cook a steak on par with some of the best restaurants in the world (pic incoming), but go back to your core when you can.

The steak pics

Attachments

• F8FE035A-C48B-4DEE-B8A6-949C24466A94.jpeg
    F8FE035A-C48B-4DEE-B8A6-949C24466A94.jpeg
    236.4 KB · Views: 5
  • FCE77B1B-BAC1-49B3-BB52-94AA0C242E26.jpeg
    FCE77B1B-BAC1-49B3-BB52-94AA0C242E26.jpeg
    133.4 KB · Views: 5
Now vegetables...yakiimo with a ginger miso salsa

Attachments

• A0D63667-8005-408C-AC31-CB377A3AAF7D.jpeg
    A0D63667-8005-408C-AC31-CB377A3AAF7D.jpeg
    239.3 KB · Views: 3
The evidence that most of us eat too much meat is very strong (I reckon that's what you mean by mostly plant-based). The evidence for complete elimination is much weaker for various reasons (e. g. small sample size or because it is compared to something like the SAD (= standard American diet) which isn't very healthy to begin with, probably eating cardboard is healthier ;) ). For anyone interested, the Sigma Nutrition podcast had a series on veganism, which I can recommend.

Learning quantum mechanics was easier than learning about the science of nutrition. (And in my case, I mean this literally, I'm a physicist.) It is so easy to get sucked into quasi science and cultish groups.

In 2019 I did quite well when it came to eating more healthily. This year was alright, I gained 2 kg over the course of the year and now in December with Christmas coming up, I'm not at my healthiest. Plus, my wife ordered nice craft beer via 故郷納税, which I can only recommend. She's been crazy about it and I cannot say no. Although we share a bottle. Starting with next year, I promise I'll do better :)

This thread got highjacked!

But I'm not complaining since it's turn towards an interesting and important topic in various perspectives.

I and my wife both love food and eating and luckily we're enjoying cooking a lot, too. Our key to a somewhat healthy diet is to eat almost no ready made and little processed foods (besides some chocolates, bread, cheese, beer and wine since it's too easy to get good quality for cheap here). We eat meat but only once in a blue moon (bought directly from a small local farm). We eat fish maybe once a month and some cheese. Also there's plain yogurt in my musli for my daily breakfast. The rest is basically plant based with lots of seasonal and local stuff. We haven't consciously decided to eat this way. It just happened, because it's the way we're feeling best (healthy and happy). We didn't need to force ourselves onto this diet. And junk food is okay when it's homemade. In most cases it's actually still healthy enough this way. Overall we're reducing our intake on salt, fat and sugar.
Still I feel I'm consuming a bit too much sugar though.
One important point for me is eating slowly (that actually took/takes some effort), appreciating the food and enjoying the different flavors and textures. This way eating is more fun and satisfying and I hardly over eat.

There are lots of scientific and other information out there. And it's seems to be a very complex topic. So I've decided to go by my and my wife's feeling.

Btw, my best and only piece of kit I bought 2020 (if I recall correctly) is a simply high-vis-jacket. I've got the impression that drivers and other cyclists do notice me much earlier and give me more room. That leads to safer and more relaxed cycling.

Last edited:

For me it's more of shifting or varying pleasures, rather than cutting them.
So it doesn't feel like a commitment or sacrifying something I like all together.

And I'm sure you'd keep turing those pedals even with less ice cream in the menu.

And for me being able to share this with my wife is a big plus.
@kiwisimon 's offer sounds like a great Idea.

Probably bought too much gear this year but the Wahoo Element Roam instantly doubled the distance I was willing ride because I no longer worried about my phone battery. I also started spending more time planning out routes. On the fly rerouting is great too.

I also bought a 4iiii left side crank power meter and took it out for the first test today. It's only been one ride but being able to use power and cadence for pacing instead of relying on speed seems like a game changer for me. Especially on climbs. Today I focused on consistent power and I was surprised that I PRed on pretty much every segment despite feeling slower and less fatigued.

Last edited:
Since I only got my road bike around last day of September this year, everything I have for cycling are bought in 2020 so it's as tough choice. But if I were to narrow down to 3 I think getting a smart trainer (Elite Suito, thanks to @Thien Che 's great recommendation!), the Rapha bib shorts and of course the road bike (Allez) itself is my best buy this year.

Using the smart trainer I am now able to cycle up to 4x a week, so far I am trying out the training course by Zwift and I can feel I am improving a little with every session, also look forward to try out Trainer road soon too as I have heard good things about it. I have bought and used a few bib shorts, but most of it gave me really sore back/butt or even saddle sore after more than 3 hours ride, I was skeptical at first but getting the Rapha bib have enabled me to enjoy cycling more.

I'd like to thank everyone here for the sharing their advice and experience, I think that really helped me made better decisions in my purchase! Hope to cycle more and get better at it so I can join more advanced ride with everyone here in the future!

Next I am looking at getting myself a MTB shoe and pedal, currently considering Fizik Terra X5/Giro Privateer Lace for shoe and PD-ES600 for pedal. If anyone here is using it or considered either of this 2, please do share your experience.

Back
Top Bottom