What's new

Best Route to Sagamiko?

DanBell

Maximum Pace
Apr 26, 2010
Hi all,

I'm heading to Sagamiko Pleasure Forest for the Xland music festival next weekend. I was wondering if anyone could suggest a nice route for getting there and back. Pleasure Forest is here. Our campsite is somewhere in the area, not quite sure where, but if I could get some advice routes to Sagami-ko, that would be awesome. We'll be leaving Friday night after work, and coming back on Sunday morning, so traffic shouldn't be so much of an issue on the way down (I think).

Any help would be much appreciated!

Knowing where you are coming from would be very benifitial :eek:

Haha! As I clicked on the thread to check your response, I thought to myself, "You didn't put in where you're coming from. I bet that's what the response says." Clever me, but not clever enough apparently.

Sorry, coming from around Setagaya ward.

taking the river from nikotama is pretty easy, car-free, and moderately scenic. There's even a guided tour of the bike path from fuchu (nikotama to fuchu is easy).

From takao you can either go down and around on the 47/46 to the 413 or do the odarumi climb. the down and around route is mostly flat but very busy with cars. odarumi will be low traffic past the intersection where the tunnel entrance is.

That river path isn't much fun at night in the dark, so it might not be the best route out. However, on the return trip it will be perfect.

sorry, i didn't see the part about planning to ride in the dark.

if you leave early enough the river is probably really nice around dusk. the other routes to takao from setagaya are all pretty high traffic and unless you take the 20 the whole way you'll need to stay on top of the route because the turns will be confusing. the 20 is the most direct route and also close to shimokitazawa. if you're not in that big a hurry, though, the river is probably fine at night as long as you have a light and don't try and go too fast.

Thanks for the advice. I think the 20 is the best bet on the way down there. Not in a major hurry, but don't want to take a heap of time. I'm hoping that the roads will not be too heavily traveled around 7 or 8 heading out of Tokyo.

River path on the way back seems like the way to go too. Take it easy on the Sunday morning.

Thanks for the advice!

I hate R20 anywhere east of the Tamagawa. It's too fast and too busy. Maybe if you're a fast cyclist riding in a group of other fast riders you'll enjoy it, but for me the speed difference to the cars and trucks is too scary on the busy sections.

Personally I'd follow from R3 along the Tamagawa, then the One-Kansen and R413.

Do you think 20 will be busy in the evening on a Friday? I'm guessing not, but if it's heavy with trucks, that would not be a fun ride.

The trip turned out pretty well. We took the route you suggested, Joe. It was a clear and peaceful ride on the way out there, once we got past Tsurukawa. Coming back on Sunday took most of the day as we stopped a few times to let the downpour happen, but wasn't too crazy with traffic at least.

Back
Top Bottom