What's new

Best Road Bike Pedal System

I've got SPD-SLs, and I like them, but sometimes they're a bitch to clip into, especially going up hill.

Speedplays are probably the best designed, but they don't have the same usefulness as makeshift platforms that SPD-SL's do, because they aren't as wide or long.

The speedplays are deceptionally large as the pedal is attached to the shoe not the bicycle...you need to think of them differently.
They are not just a small circular platform... but that plus the larger metal cleat contraption...

I know, the pedal is the cleat and the cleat is the pedal. Ingenious, really, especially since it's double sided, and you can just step on them and go.

I'm only suggesting that the small lollipop-sized pedals aren't as good as SPD-SL's when used without cycling shoes as a platform, for short rides around town.

Can we stop calling non-shimano pedals SPD please as SPD means Shimano Pedalling Dynamics!!

They are clipless pedals, Sorry to be pedantic :D

Can we stop calling non-shimano pedals SPD please as SPD means Shimano Pedalling Dynamics!!

To whom are you referring? A quick scan of this thread suggests to me that all SPD references here may have been Shimano-specific. Just curious.

Good point Deej.... may be posting at 5am isn't such a good idea as my pre coffee reading skills seem to be lacking somewhat. :eek:

Good point Deej.... may be posting at 5am isn't such a good idea as my pre coffee reading skills seem to be lacking somewhat. :eek:

I was too wrecked from staying up to watch Japan play Paraguay to get up as early as you! And I always make sure I'm caffeinated before posting. :) Anyway, I was merely curious for your feedback, because I am far from fluent in bike terminology and wondered if I was missing something.

I know, the pedal is the cleat and the cleat is the pedal. Ingenious, really, especially since it's double sided, and you can just step on them and go.

I'm only suggesting that the small lollipop-sized pedals aren't as good as SPD-SL's when used without cycling shoes as a platform, for short rides around town.

If you're interested in short rides around town, without cycling shoes,...

http://www.speedplay.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.merchandise_large_image&name=Platformer&image=platformer_zero_large.jpg

It would be a bigger pain to deal with something like that than it would be to throw my cycling shoes on, or to just ride the bike with the speedplays, unless I rode the bike for transportation in street shoes more than I rode for the sake of riding in cycling shoes, which I don't (in fact I almost never ride it anywhere without them).

Just bought in on a pair of I-clicks and some pearl Izumi Octanes I will post my impressions when they arrive...

Hopefully they'll be easier to get out of than straps and plates.....

quik question on

fitting SPD cleats to Mavic Razors. I bought the shoes new but didn't get any info with them about the two square gold coloured metal plates.....which I assume fit between the sole and the liner? - to increase the area of sole which is pulled upon on the upstroke?

Is that right?

And, I doubt I'll have much use for the front studs, but, are they interchangeable with soccer boot type studs?

fitting SPD cleats to Mavic Razors. I bought the shoes new but didn't get any info with them about the two square gold coloured metal plates.....which I assume fit between the sole and the liner? - to increase the area of sole which is pulled upon on the upstroke?

I have the same combo. I think the plates are to create a better anchor for longer screws. I found that the screws secured the cleat to the shoe well enough, and didn't push through at all, so I was unable to use the plates even if I had wanted to. I've been on them for over a thousand miles I'd guess, and no problems with shifting, or the cleats coming loose.

I have no idea about the cleats though. I haven't used them at all.

Day 1 with the iclics and I'm really rather happy.

My biggest issue is with the float, it's hard to tell how near to exiting you are as the tension is linear. Had one mishap where ithought I was clear but in fact wasn't ( thankfully ther was a post nearby to lean against). I'm going to experiment with the tension screw and see if there's a setting I like.

I'm still spazzing about trying to get into them, but I figure that will improve with time.

I'll post a full review when we've actually done a few rides together...

They could have buuilt the wireless receiver in to the actual body of the pedal..... they got this far and they really should have taken it to the next stem rather than those ugly blades or made them flush along the arm of the cranks and finally they aren't compatible with ANT+ technology so you have to use a Polar.

Back
Top Bottom