What's new

Best place to live and ride in Tokyo

Guillaume

Warming-Up
Dec 28, 2014
Hi
I'm going to move in Tokyo. I would like to know where is a good place to live to ride in and around Tokyo and not too far from where I will arok Shinagawa and then Futakotamagawa from July. Thank you for your help.
Guillaume

Somewhere near Shinagawa at first, then maybe move near Futakotamagawa around the end of June, I would have thought.

Living near Futakotamagawa would be okay. It's about a 13 km ride to Shinagawa and is beside the Tamagawa, which has a popular mixed-use path along it's length and is a useful route to the mountains West of Tokyo. I use it all the time.

Forget shinagawa area but around futagotamagawa is nice plenty of riding options along tamagawa and the hills behind. Check out @GrantT s rides he has that area covered.

Thank you for your help
Here in Singapore there is also a very competitive group ANZA, which organized weekend ride and also weekly ride for the most addicted with ride by level 34+km/h avg, 32-34km/h avg, etc. would you have any thing like this in Tokyo?
Here is my Strava profile http://www.strava.com/athletes/1867374
Thanks again :)

We do not organise things so rigidly here (perhaps we should), but throughout the main cycling season (March to November), there are hard and fast rides every weekend that you are more than welcome to come on, and there riders in the club who very strong and very fast, both on the flat, and up the climbs. Each ride posted usually has a general overview of the kind of speeds to be expected, maps, distance, etc., so if you are looking for some storming sessions there will definitely be rides each week for you.

Look forward to dropping some massive speed hammers with you, if that is what you are into.

34kmph+ average though... is that an average for a whole 150km-ish ride in the mountains, with a load of 6-12% climbing? If it is, then I am sitting on your wheel for the whole ride, haha.

Depending on schedules, you are welcome to join my mid-week training if you to don't plan on taking too many of my KOMs. I usually ride not too far from Futakotamagawa.

Nope, nothing like that here. But you are welcome to join any rides and we can try and do our best to not slow you down to much!

Throw a few hills in there and your averages will soon resemble something more TCC.
The highest point in Singapore seems to be 163m. Someone around here could make some climbing wheels for you because it's doubtful you need any over there.

Actually, I was looking for someone to draft to get 34+km/h avg :)
I do race most of the time in sky running now and riding is part of my training - less boring than running all the time
I did race KOM taiwan recently - even from Singapore you can compete in trail running and climbing

I have only managed 34kmph+ average speed rides on the flat, solo, with nobody in my way. And by that I mean 34kmph+ from the minute I leave the door, to the minute I get back which includes traversing lengthy sections of traffic. Obviously I could get a much higher average if I started and finished away from the urban sprawl. If you are banging out door to door 34kmph+ rides in the mountains then that is next level riding from you right there.

Back
Top Bottom