What's new

best place to buy sidis online?

andywood

Maximum Pace
Apr 8, 2008
I just came in from asaren, took my shoes off at the door and my wife said "you need a new pair of cycling shoes!"

they're in tatters!

does anyone know the best place to buy them online?

Cheers,

Andy

WIGGLE or Chain Reaction Cycles!

With the strong yen and free shipping you can't beat the prices.... especailly with the over inflated price of SIDI's in Japan.

However as they are shoes you need to get Wiggle or Chain reaction to mark them that they have NO LEATHER on them otherwise you will get hammered for taxes.

WIGGLE or Chain Reaction Cycles!

With the strong yen and free shipping you can't beat the prices.... especailly with the over inflated price of SIDI's in Japan.

However as they are shoes you need to get Wiggle or Chain reaction to mark them that they have NO LEATHER on them otherwise you will get hammered for taxes.

Uh..., does that leather content thing also apply to saddles? I've been considering a Brooks via wiggle for one bike.

Andy, I got mine Sidi's from Chain reaction for a reasonable price. As James said you can't go wrong with the exchange rates atm.

Uh..., does that leather content thing also apply to saddles? I've been considering a Brooks via wiggle for one bike.

Not sure.... leatehr in Japan has a huge taxation on it so I find it always best to have it marked as NO-Leather in both English and Japanese.

Also unless you have the feet of a seven year old girl, you won`t find your size here!:eek:

Agree with Chain Reaction, Wiggle. Also suggest a looksy at Probikekit. Probikekit does not have free shipping but shipping costs are nominal (1,500 yen range). Some of their sales are better that CR or Wiggle.

Re leather - was not aware, but good advice for future. I've had two saddles shipped - both leather. One got taxed 3% and the other one got thru w/o taxes. Thought taxes were random on who processes vs the policies.

Cheers guys,

A quick browse of the web and Sidi Ergo 2 Carbon Lite can be bought for 26272 yen at CRC.

The same shoes in Japan retail at 43050.

That's 16778 yen saved on a pair of shoes! I'm going to start importing for the shop here in Kashiwazaki!

www.jyonnobitime.com

Any other huge price differences you've noticed when shopping overseas?

Andy

Yes.... my new Dura Ace 24 carbon clincher wheels....retail here for between 96,000 JPY and 130,000 JPY..... currently they sell at CRC for 58,000 JPY!!!!! :D

They arrived today and I'm over the bloody moon with them!

My wife's SIDIs are going into the classifieds soon...
Hardly used.
Size 23 (I think) there are no numbers printed on them... ???

The number on sidis is hard to find. Do you have the original insole? It should be printed on there. Andy

Yes.... my new Dura Ace 24 carbon clincher wheels....retail here for between 96,000 JPY and 130,000 JPY..... currently they sell at CRC for 58,000 JPY!!!!! :D

They arrived today and I'm over the bloody moon with them!
Mine came yesterday.....
Fitted them today, they leave very little room between the spokes and frame for a Garmin cadence/= speed sensor compared with my other wheels.
I had to modify the sensor with my trusty file!:eek:

Kust finished putting mine together, also splashed on a new Dura Ace cassette to go with them!

Are you using the spoke magnet that came with the wheels?

Kust finished putting mine together, also splashed on a new Dura Ace cassette to go with them!

Are you using the spoke magnet that came with the wheels?

No magnet, just gps for speed. You may want to put a blob of glue on it if you use it. The one on my 50mm DA wheels lasted about 5km before jumping ship!:mad:

On my carbon wheels I use very small rare earth magnets.... tiny but very very strong. Looking to see how well these wheels climb as thats why I got them, light, stiff and look bloody good.

So far Im very impressed with them, using the Vittoria 700x20c Open Tubulars and they feel just like tubular wheels. But its on the climbs where I want to see how they preform.

SUPPORT YOUR LBS DONT BUY ONLINE

Just wanted to say,

If you want it there in the future, stop buying online. Shops depend on your business and if we keep buying online, shops will go extinct. period. YOU are the key.

Just Wanted to give my twenty yen

Probike ....totaly disagree with your argument.

Wiggle was a local shop in Portsmouth that I used to shop at when i was youngerr.... they saw the future of online retailing and went with it, I am now lucky enough to have my LBS a click away. Wiggle still has a LBS in it's original location.

My families bike stores that have been around for 40 plus years now also offer online shopping and capture huge amounts of business that way while still having several walk in stores they have actually seen a huge increase in business with the other HUGE online retailers as they are trusted by the locals and come in to have the parts fitted and serviced which has a mush higher profit margin than selling 60% of the parts.

I also still shop at my local Japanese LBS, but if shops want to survive they need to have the finger on the pulse period.....over charging customers is one sure way to lose business and at the end of the day if there is no way in hell that im going to spend 96,000 yen on a pair of wheels that I can get online for 58,000.

The good bike stores stay in business because they offer competitive prices with excellent service, shops that can't or won't deserve to go out of business and will.....just wish Y's would realise this!

Support yourself..... buy where ever YOU want, my saving of 40,000 yen on wheels from wiggle benifitted my Japanese bike store as the first service won't be free and they will charge me the going rate, not only that but I bounght the tires, inner tubes and cassette from them due to the online savings.

But hey its your cash spend it where you want.

Just got back from my LBS. I was getting my bike ready for tomorrow's race when the cable guide snapped off the frame (glad it wasn't in the race). So I phone up Enosan and say I know it's late but.... He says don't worry but can you pick up a couple of cans and some ice cream from the 7-11 on your way?

We chat, have a couple of cans, he does the drilling and pinning (which I could never do myself), we talk about chain reaction cycles and he wants some sidis too and some cosmic carbone wheels too at that price....

The moral of the story is, there is a place for both the LBS and the online shopping to exist together. For me personally both have quite different functions and I'll give both my custom. In my time in Japan, I've seen cycling grow and grow over the last few years. This can only be good for both the online and LBS.

Let's support them both.

Andy

Back
Top Bottom