What's new

Best of the West on September 10th (Saturday)

Rapha Rendezvous for iphone and other smart phones is perfect for this Tim.

Yep!

Sorry - just confirming - you WILL be following the MMR route posted in this thread?

Hey Tim, the ONLY minor difference is a small squiggle at the 90-91km mark.
This allows us to pass a convenience-store (I don't think we pass one on the original map).
Anyway, here's the squiggle. Everything else though, is EXACTLY the same.
Where do you think you'll be jumping in?

Hey Tim, the ONLY minor difference is a small squiggle at the 90-91km mark.
This allows us to pass a convenience-store (I don't think we pass one on the original map).
Anyway, here's the squiggle. Everything else though, is EXACTLY the same.
Where do you think you'll be jumping in?

BTW, Travis, if you look at the route of the shortcut - there is a supermarket called スーパー公正室 a bit further up the road (km 92.5 on MMR route). This is the place I always stop at (the one which has free ice cubes for your bottles). I don't mind stopping at 7/11 on your shortcut, but we need to make it clear on what will be the 2nd assembly point.

That supermarket in Sarubashi is a nice one. Always like to stop there. And the conbini on Yamanakako is also nice.

BTW, if someone wants to cut short some of the climbing, you could ride from Yamanakako via route 139 to Tsuru and join up there, or even go straight via Otsuki to the supermarket in Sarubashi which would save 700m of climbing and 15km of distance.

I'm considering joining from the start, but will need to see how jet lag and knee pain develop by then.

Found it!

BTW, Travis, if you look at the route of the shortcut - there is a supermarket called スーパー公正室 a bit further up the road (km 92.5 on MMR route). This is the place I always stop at (the one which has free ice cubes for your bottles). I don't mind stopping at 7/11 on your shortcut, but we need to make it clear on what will be the 2nd assembly point.

You mean this place?

ohtsuki_east_map.gif

It looks like they have a bakery in there too. This looks good! T

It looks like they have a bakery in there too. This looks good! T

If only I had known. The last time I did Matsuhime, I did a lunch stop in this charming looking restaurant right in front of 大月 station. It was horrible and the single reason I was close to throwing up most of the climb:rolleyes:

Yes, this is it, and yes, there is a bakery which is not bad (of course Japanese style).

The supermarket is not directly on the road, so you need to look for it. It's not difficult to find, but if you just cycle down the road, you will easily ride by it.

Sergei, are we agreed on the train connections getting us to Shin-Matsuda at 6:38am? This is the first connection of the day out of Shinjuku and any stations (including mine) to Noborito.

I f I can get up I'll be there:D Be great to catch up with some of you!

Ludwig, if you're leaving from Shinjuku - yes, it seems it's the firstestest train which you can take.
There is also a train leaving Kyodo station at 5:00, which arrives to Shin-Matsuda at 6:26 - I will take it, but will be waiting at the destination for the 6:38 train to arrive.

Mike hope to see you there :)

Kohseiya supermarket arrival time

...eager to join but allergic to early morning train rides (they make me want to go back to sleep :D) Depending on the time, I may try to adjust my own ride plan and join the bunch at the Saruhashi KOHSEIYA supermarket*. Any idea of approximate arrival time Sergei ?

* the in-store bakery BTW is very good! If you're lucky, you can even buy for 20 yen or so lots of "pan-no-mimi" ;)....

Around 12:30 in Kohseiya, Tom.

Or, 12:00 to 13:00, but it's hard to predict

Around 12:30 in Kohseiya, Tom.

Or, 12:00 to 13:00, but it's hard to predict

Perfect for lunch :) ! Will aim to be there leaving from home and using a different route (Akiyama then over Suzugane into Saruhashi) but no need of course to wait for me if I'm not around.

If I'm not fighting to keep up with the group, I can give you Tom a call from the road to tell you how we are doing timewise.

If I'm not fighting to keep up with the group, I can give you Tom a call from the road to tell you how we are doing timewise.

Very considerate of you Ludwig :). Thanks!

Roll call

Only another 16 hours to start... So who is in? The weather forecast for tomorrow has turned to gorgeous - if only a bit hot (but that's why we head up high!).

From Shin-Matsuda, rolling at 6:40am

Sergei
Thomas
Aaron
Tim
Mike?
Fumiki
ikedawilliams
f6sjt
Ludwig

From Suruga-oyama (as described by Travis)

Travis
Pete?

From Sarubashi (or else)

Tom

Is this correct?

Early start for me too.

Travis
Pete?

Hey Ludwig,
No! I'll be riding from Shin-Matsuda with everyone else.
I only posted the alternative to try and coax a few more to join (Ahem! Pete...)

From Shin-Matsuda, rolling at 6:40am
Sergei
Thomas
Aaron
Tim
Mike?
Fumiki
ikedawilliams
f6sjt
Ludwig
Travis

Pete?

From Sarubashi (or else)
Tom

I'm preparing my bike now and very keen but it all depends on whether I can get up. I'm a lazy bastard in the mornings....Hope to see you all at 6:40.We riding on the front of the train or the back? I'll be getting on at Hon Atsugi....

It's so early you shouldn't even think about the time! Looking forward to seeing you Mike. It's been a long while!

I'll be at the front of the train so I have the option of preparing the bike inside the train (or not preparing it at all) :). But ten bikes all in the front will be too many, so it will be good if we split up somewhat.

Back
Top Bottom