What's new

Best of the West on September 10th (Saturday)

Serguei, just to let you know, I probably won't be able to make this one. :eek: Too much work this week. Maybe catch you toward the end of the month...

I may try this one - but need to check if I have race next weekend. If not - I would be game. Maybe, even, arrive night before and crash at a local hotel so as to NOT have to take the first train out of Shinjuku.

Serguei, just to let you know, I probably won't be able to make this one. :eek: Too much work this week. Maybe catch you toward the end of the month...

Bummer! I was really looking forward to meet you, Phil! Maybe you could consider doing a part of the ride - it's pretty early, so you'd be free around 10:00am :)

Otherwise, let's hope for a better chance.

Ohhh..this is very tempting Serguei. If I come I'll bail out after Mikuni and head home via Doushi....James this could also be a good option for you! So possibly maybe might be could be there:D

Hi everyone. I'm new to Japan and new to this site. I'm working and living in Yokohama at the moment and have recently brought my bike out from the UK to try to keep in shape.

The nature of this ride has certainly caught my attention, but I before signing up (assuming that new members are welcome?), I'd be keen to know what kind of pace is likely for this ride. I've never raced before, so I don't have a race category to use as a benchmark, but a typical weekend solo ride for me on a flatish road is 150-180kms at 28-30 kph.

I'm worried that this won't be fast enough. I am right?

Serguei,

Its been a while since we rode together.

I watched your MapRide...
Are you SURE??
It's completely crazy!

But,unfortunately,I have nothing to do on this weekend.
So,please count me in.
I don't have confidence to stick with you Serguei,especially later part of the cource.
I will bring my bike baggage to be able to evacuation just in case.

Anyway hope to see you soon!

Fumiki

The nature of this ride has certainly caught my attention, but I before signing up (assuming that new members are welcome?), I'd be keen to know what kind of pace is likely for this ride. I've never raced before, so I don't have a race category to use as a benchmark, but a typical weekend solo ride for me on a flatish road is 150-180kms at 28-30 kph.
I'm worried that this won't be fast enough. I am right?
Like I mentioned, there are almost no flat sections on this ride - it's all up and down with some long and brutal climbs, possibly, in the heat. So, these 174 kms are very different from flat 174 kms, and I would not recommend this ride to start cycling in Japan in most of the cases.
Anyways, I think you get the picture, and if you still want to test yourself against some of the steepest climbs, you are welcome to join. If you don't enjoy climbing - be ready to bail out / take train earlier, check the map, station locations, etc.

PS
I am not sure of my own shape at the moment, but the aim is to try and maintain a good strong pace on the hills, without blowing up. And when it comes to climbing - it's usually each for themselves, so it's hard to tell what the pace will be like. Looking at the people joining it, I guess, it won't be too relaxed :)

I would like to join. It would be good to meet some more people from the TCC, and be able to say I did 3,800 meters in a day. Ha.

There is still a chance something will come up to prevent me from going, but I hope to be there.

Oooohhh...

There's NO WAY I'm ready for this ride.
So... YEP! I'll be there! I'll be catching the 5:00 train from Shinjuku.

>Serguei: There's only one minute to change trains at Hon-Atsugi, so should we be at the front or rear of the train? Or won't it make any difference?

See you all there! T

There's NO WAY I'm ready for this ride.
So... YEP! I'll be there! I'll be catching the 5:00 train from Shinjuku.

>Serguei: There's only one minute to change trains at Hon-Atsugi, so should we be at the front or rear of the train? Or won't it make any difference?

See you all there! T

Good question, Travis. It looks like 5:00 train from Shinjuku goes to Hon-Atsugi only (本厚木行). The train leaving Hon-Astugi one minute later is a different train which starts from Hon-Atsugi and goes to Odawara (小田原行).
I believe it is necessary to exit the train once and wait for the next one on the same platform, or check the opposite platform.

Those are the indications I got from the Odakyu site.

Unfortunately I just got informed by the DS that there is a clash of interests. So unfortunately I will not be able to join :(

Alternative...

This is for those people who REALLY want to join this ride, but just can't seem to (don't want to) get up so early in the morning.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, there is a later train that arrives at Shin-Matsuda station at 7:04. If you were to get this train, all you need to do is transfer to "Matsuda" station, right next door - 200m walk away.

From Matsuda, there is a train that leaves at 7:23, heading for Numazu. Stay on this train for 19 minutes, and get off at "Suruga-oyama" at 7:42.

Set up your bike at Suruga-oyama station, and ride 800m to the 7-Eleven just around the corner. The riders who left in the earlier group should be just coming down from Ashigara-toge around that time, and will probably arrive at said 7-eleven a little after 8am.

6121733761_939afc5ff1_b.jpg

It means you'll miss out on the first climb, but you will have fresh legs for Mikuni-toge, which is where you need them.

I hope this alternative sees a few more people there than just the hard-core early-risers.
Cheers! T

Set up your bike at Suruga-oyama station, and ride 800m to the 7-Eleven just around the corner. The riders who left in the earlier group should be just coming down from Ashigara-toge around that time, and will probably arrive at said 7-eleven a little after 8am.

Be aware that while we can pick you up next to the said 7/11, we will not be stopping and waiting for any late comers, so be ready to ride right away.

It would be even better if anyone joining us at that point would ride another 100 meters up the road and met us at the intersection (T-section) of routes 394 and 147, at the bridge.

Like I mentioned, there are almost no flat sections on this ride - it's all up and down with some long and brutal climbs, possibly, in the heat. So, these 174 kms are very different from flat 174 kms, and I would not recommend this ride to start cycling in Japan in most of the cases.
Anyways, I think you get the picture, and if you still want to test yourself against some of the steepest climbs, you are welcome to join. If you don't enjoy climbing - be ready to bail out / take train earlier, check the map, station locations, etc.

Okay, thanks. I get the picture re the flats. I was just referring to average speed numbers for the flat as these are a better benchmark of pace than a climb because of gradient, length, etc, etc. Anyway, I'm keen to join and have a go, so provided its okay for people to get dropped early on, I'll try to work out how to get there from Yokohama. thanks again

Well between jet-lag, (got back from Lisbon Friday night) and a bad chest cold, this whole ride is looking dubious. If I can make it I will be on the train arriving Shin Matsuda at 6:38.

I assume that this will be a WATT ride? Otherwise I will just ride alone somewhere, since I will never be able to keep the full pace over all these lumps.

Aaron

I assume that this will be a WATT ride? Otherwise I will just ride alone somewhere, since I will never be able to keep the full pace over all these lumps.
Aaron

Aaron, it's not gonna be a WATT ride - there are too many T's for that. Not stopping too often is the best way to tackle it. That's how, first, I, and then Travis completed it last year (it took many hours to finish it, even without many stops, i am too lazy to find his report now :warau:).

Riding pace (in a group, if possible) - then wait for everyone at the designated stops (Yamanaka-ko and Saruhashi, and, finally, Musashi-Itsukaichi station bakery), that's how it's planned. More like a WATC (wait at the conbini) :)

Last time

.... i am too lazy to find his report now :warau:).

https://tokyocycle.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=2140&page=2
The "Full Report" is about the 8th post down on this page.
That time though, we left at 9:00. This time we'll be leaving 2 hours earlier.
The first real rest / break point will be the 7-11 at Yamanaka-ko; after descending Mikuni-toge. The second & probably last food-stop is HERE. Saruhashi.
Another 7-Eleven on Rte.20 - After descending Rte.509, turn left onto Rte.20 - Less than 1km away on the other side of the road - This is also where we turn towards Matsuhime-toge.
Hope this helps. T

Sorry - just confirming - you WILL be following the MMR route posted in this thread? If not - then post any updated TCX/GPX we can work from. Interception based on that will be much easier. At least can plan to jump ahead of your route, then wait - or bust to catch up. Hmmm, now if there was only an easy way you can auto notify at the way points ... like simple group mail or tweet...

Back
Top Bottom