best lock (only in Japan style)

I'm planning 10 + days on my bike in Tohoku again and will be traveling super light this time. At night, I'll probably sometimes need to lock my bike somewhere... maybe outside. :eek:

Any recommendations for the best super light/small lock? I know it's Japan and most people used to mama-charies wouldn't know what to do with clipless pedals... but it's a 3 grand bike. It's my baby. When I bought it, it was more than I'd ever made in a whole month of working.

I don't want to bring my mother of all heavy locks, nor do I feel all that confident with the little loopy lock I picked up at a hundred yen store that I take on solo long rides when I know I may be spending a extra few minutes in convinis enjoying the aircon.

For people that have done long multiday rides, what kind of lock do you use? Do you use locking skewers? (I have them and use them when I commute on my bike and when I was bumming around Italy.) How do you think about bike security if you are staying in a hotel/hostel/friend's place and your lonely bike is out in the scary dark night outside all alone...?

TOM

Maximum Pace
SMUGGLE IT !

I'm planning 10 + days on my bike in Tohoku again and will be traveling super light this time. At night, I'll probably sometimes need to lock my bike somewhere... maybe outside. :eek:
Kori...that is a scary thought indeed but since you will be staying in the countryside, the likelihood of theft is much smaller than in say Kichijoji. My only advice is to take your bike with you in your room. Don't even ask the front desk if you are allowed to do so - just simply smuggle your bike into your room.

To do this as low-profile as possible, you may want to do it in pieces - like in two or three times - taking the wheels upstairs first and then the frame...

BTW...there are some nice pics of you posted on Hiroshi's blog :cool:

andywood

Maximum Pace
Apr 8, 2008
Niigata
If you can't take it up to your room, just ask to put it somewhere safe. I've always found hotels to be helpful and let me put the bike in store rooms etc

Enjoy the trip,

Andy