What's new

Beginner's Hill Climb - Takao/Sagimi Lake

doubletrouble

Speeding Up
Jan 14, 2008
This has been discussed on another thread, but on June 3rd I will be going to Takao san for the first time. This is a beginner's hill climb and all are welcome and the climb will be a WATT. No super fast speeds as this is only my second hill climb and that was a while ago.

This is the route that I will be taking:

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/95596369

The distance one way is 14.06km with a maximum elevation of 445m.

Meeting place: Takao Station, North Exit
Time: 9:00 (let me know if this is too late or too early)

At the moment it looks like the following people will be coming:

myself
Chikako
js-works (?)

Depending on tiredness we will either take the train home or return the other way over the mountain on bike.

The following week, on Friday 8th I will try a longer version, starting from nearer to home, maybe Hachioji or Tachikawa, to get in some roads before the climb. I will post a route sometime next week unless someone can suggest a good route.

Should there be rain on 3rdJune this ride will be postponed until 8th or 10th June depending on everyone's schedules.

This has been discussed on another thread, but on June 3rd I will be going to Takao san for the first time. This is a beginner's hill climb and all are welcome and the climb will be a WATT. No super fast speeds as this is only my second hill climb and that was a while ago.

Time: 10:30 (let me know if this is too late or too early)

At the moment it looks like the following people will be coming:

myself
Chikako
js-works (?)

Depending on tiredness we will either take the train home or return the other way over the mountain on bike.

The following week, on Friday 8th I will try a longer version, starting from nearer to home, maybe Hachioji or Tachikawa, to get in some roads before the climb. I will post a route sometime next week unless someone can suggest a good route.

Should there be rain on 3rdJune this ride will be postponed until 8th or 10th June depending on everyone's schedules.

Oh sorry about that Penny - my name is Josh

Penny your route is locked, could you make it public?

Cheers!

Time: 10:30 (let me know if this is too late or too early)

Hey Penny,

You might want to consider starting a little earlier, like around 9ish; Takao can get sort of crowded on the weekends. Lockers go fast, and last time there were a ton of cars for some reason.

Oh, and I believe the North exit has coin lockers inside, but the South exit has them outside the ticket gates.

If you guys are going on the 3rd, I might be able to join up :)

Penny your route is locked, could you make it public?

Cheers!

Sorry about that Stu! I've made in public now (I think) so everyone should be able to view it.

Hey Penny,

You might want to consider starting a little earlier, like around 9ish; Takao can get sort of crowded on the weekends. Lockers go fast, and last time there were a ton of cars for some reason.

Oh, and I believe the North exit has coin lockers inside, but the South exit has them outside the ticket gates.

If you guys are going on the 3rd, I might be able to join up :)

Okay, very good point. I would be up for starting earlier if everyone else is okay with that. Let's make it 9am then.

If I can get away for the day I would really like to head out and give this a shot

I am interested (Have to apologise about hijacking your other thread:eek:!!).
That is if I am not in a bad mood after my math paper on Friday.

How fast are you planning on climbing?
Went there on Thursday and I averaged a depressing 14/5km/h:eek::eek:.
Won't want to slow you ladies/guy down:eek:. Really unfit at the moment.

Time: 9:00 (let me know if this is too late or too early)

Thanks for organizing Penny!
Look forward to meeting you all there.

Anybody riding out from inner Tokyo? At around 7:00am?
Would love to have company searching our way west, so if you're interested in meeting up somewhere along the way, please let me know.

Here is what I've mapped so far (with no knowledge about road conditions, just typed in Ikebukuro and Takao...).
http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/96664787

I am interested (Have to apologise about hijacking your other thread:eek:!!).
That is if I am not in a bad mood after my math paper on Friday.

How fast are you planning on climbing?
Went there on Thursday and I averaged a depressing 14/5km/h:eek::eek:.
Won't want to slow you ladies/guy down:eek:. Really unfit at the moment.

It would be great if you can come. I wasn't planning on climbing very fast. Since this is the first time for me to do this climb, I'd just like to complete it.
Thanks for organizing Penny!
Look forward to meeting you all there.

Anybody riding out from inner Tokyo? At around 7:00am?
Would love to have company searching our way west, so if you're interested in meeting up somewhere along the way, please let me know.

Here is what I've mapped so far (with no knowledge about road conditions, just typed in Ikebukuro and Takao...).
http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/96664787

Great see you there. I'm gonna train it out this time, maybe next time ride out.

What is all this talk about lockers?

Way too early for an old man like me.

Otherwise I'd be delighted to guide you.

Sorry Mike, would have been great if you could've come. The levels of traffic are more of a concern to me than the lockers.

I have noted the day down on the planner.
Looking forwards to meeting you ladies/gents? on sunday!!
Might get dropped though:warau:

Penny included a link to the route map in post #1. If you enlarge the map (click top right of the map) and then click on elevation at the bottom it will show you the elevation profile.

The average gradient is not terribly meaningful, as there's a long preamble. On the way up there's a sign warning that the road is closed in bad weather for the next 4.8 km. This is where it starts to get a bit tougher, but only for 2.4 km. Then you're at the top and (to coin a phrase) it's all downhill from there.

Chikako will chew you up and spit you out, if she's of a mind to do so. (I haven't met Chikako yet, but reputations travel far...)

Penny included a link to the route map in post #1. If you enlarge the map (click top right of the map) and then click on elevation at the bottom it will show you the elevation profile.

The average gradient is not terribly meaningful, as there's a long preamble. On the way up there's a sign warning that the road is closed in bad weather for the next 4.8 km. This is where it starts to get a bit tougher, but only for 2.4 km. Then you're at the top and (to coin a phrase) it's all downhill from there.

Chikako will chew you up and spit you out, if she's of a mind to do so. (I haven't met Chikako yet, but reputations travel far...)

Uh oh - I'll play it humble style then and rely on my new rider status like a trusty old crutch ;)

Seriously Mike, which Chikako are you talking about...?
Anyone who's been out on the road with me knows, knows how I ride.
Terrible with climbing, along with reading the maps and figuring out the way... hope I'll reach Takao in time!

9:00am Takao isn't that bad, but I guess I'll see you sometime on a not so early ride!

I have noted the day down on the planner.
Looking forwards to meeting you ladies/gents? on sunday!!
Might get dropped though:warau:

Glad you can come. Looking forward to meeting you too! Don't worry you will not get dropped. The climb will be a WATT (Wait At The Top) i.e. when we get to the top we will wait for the last rider, no matter how slow they are, to arrive at the top BEFORE making the descent. And that rider's more than likely going to be me not you...:D

Well I'm just out for a ride not looking to crush anyone, and I think the ladies are on the same program.

No worries:warau:

Yeah, me too. I just want to complete the climb not break any speed records.

Thanks for the information Mike.

You're all so self-effacing. I might join after all, just to demonstrate to you what rubbish climbing is all about.

It's just soooo earlieeee. Fujiya, the ramen shop at the top doesn't open 'til 11, I think. They also sell ice cream. And beer.

20070319201842kelly.jpg

Back
Top Bottom