What's new

Beet root juice

ProRaceMechanic

Maximum Pace
Dec 31, 2009
I just read in Pro Cycling magazine that beet root juice was used at the TDF and TOC to improve cardiovascular performance by up to 20%. It was seen at many breakfast tables and noticed by drug testers that a lot of the samples had a red tint, a side affect of the beet root juice. Do you consider using an all natural substance to gain advantage doping?

Juiced up

Beet root used to be a pretty common vegetable in British school cafeterias, and canned beetroot was common in households. Have only seen it a couple of times here in Tokyo - once in a fancy French (or Spanish?) restaurant, and once in Isetan food floor. Didn't know about its high nitrate content and athletic advantages. Do you think it's an effective food for cardio-related health issues?

I have just started taking these:

http://www.betterlife.com/product/beet-root-european-500mg/natures-way/9293

Will let you know if they work in a couple of months time. I'd also read a bit about the benefits of beet root juice for endurance athletes so I thought I would give it a whirl. And the caps are cheap. Only been on them for a couple of weeks, but I am 1 for 1 in age group race wins so far. :cool: But of course training hard is the best way to be competitive.

And another reason to try is that I also have liver problems, probably from over indulging. :beer:

Back
Top Bottom