What's new

Tech Bar Tape

I use Deda Elementi, rather than the Deda Mistral you linked to. Been abusing it for years and just keep coming back for more. It washes well, and keeps its colour.

And how usually do you change the tape? Maybe the 3 months that I got from this one is a good life expectancy as I bike everyday..

Just a tip, if you want to freshen up your bar tape just use some power laundry soap, a stuff brush, and go to work.
Brings white tape back to white, and actually softens up the tape as well.

I change my tape monthly if using cork tape.

While we're on the subject of bar tape, does anyone have an effective method for removing particularly stubborn bar tape adhesive? Deda Mistral left behind adhesive that just refuses to budge from my carbon bars :(

alcohol, or even some bio-degreaser may work a bit...or goop off. For the first two, no issue with the carbon, not sure on 2nd.

But can you just tape over the adhesive?

While we're on the subject of bar tape, does anyone have an effective method for removing particularly stubborn bar tape adhesive? Deda Mistral left behind adhesive that just refuses to budge from my carbon bars :(
I use tubular tyre glue remover. Works a treat.

I ditched Deda tape exactly for the ridiculous amounts of sticky gunk and ripped off foam it leaves on the bars. Switched to Fizik, which is totally clean when you take it off, every time.

The nicest feeling Fizik tape is the Superlight 2mm stuff, but that wears through really fast. The standard Performance range is the best for lasting.

Lizard Skins wears through in minutes, in my experience.

I also second fizik. I like the regular performance range. They're a bit expensive, but with proper cleaning a set lasts me quite a while

Finally replaced my shabby Lizard Skins bar tape. Even the thick 3.5 version went to scraps after less than 1000k. Cannot endorse.

Now on the cheap planetx rubber tape, which does not feel bad at all and was easy to wrap.

Noticed that apart from the pattern it is identical to the 5x expensive Fabric bar tape. Same factory for sure.

Yep, Lizard Skins moves about and wears out super fast. Utter s**** stuff - I know @Tuomas would agree 100%
Just bought the Fizik Superlight as I had that on a bike back in the UK - not heavily used with me being here these days but was good when I have used and looked more sturdy ....and still came in the colours I wanted. Good to read above that other people agree

Also agree with @D'Pioneer that no bar tape should leave glue on the bar - I have thrown tape away before completing the bar wrap if it looks like doing it.

To be honest I have been spoilt by one PU bar tape that is often overlooked (mainly because its range of colours are minimal - 2 to be precise - black and ....white!) and is absolutely excellent. Pro (Shimano) Digital Carbon Smart Silicon Bar tape is bloody amazing. Goes on beautifully, lasts forever, has a really good grip and feel, never leaves anything on the bar, and is easy to adjust during the wrap - what more could you want? (okay more colours ;)). Now for the negative bit... Pro have stopped selling it a couple of years back (which is why I have swapped to other tape recently after I found it increasingly hard to locate - although you still occasionally find it in Japan bike shops with old stock).
They have replaced it with a range of six new tapes, none of which are exactly the same. The nearest two are the Pro Race Control and Pro Race Comfort (the other 4 are foam based rather than PU based) - I haven't tried either yet but would be keen to hear from other's if they do.

11,658km on my Fizik bartape thusfar, and it is just starting to show signs of wearing through.
Also, very grippy in all conditions, and in gloves or bare hands.
It is good stuff.

Back
Top Bottom