What's new

Bad Press

Kaffekata

Warming-Up
Apr 27, 2008
Have you noticed this trend? As cycling becomes more popular, more news articles about reckless cycling are appearing in the media.

For example, last Sunday's Times Online had this article:

" cyclists are a bandit tribe who blithely ignore the usual laws of the road"

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/columnists/article6936082.ece

Closer to home, there was an equally long article on the same subject in this week's Nikkei Weekly commenting on accidents and how cyclists must learn to share pathways. Speeding Cyclists Pose Threat

Most certainly we're getting bad press, which may lead eventually to undue regulation, even licensing & related fees. :( Is there something we should/can do about this?

Fight back!

Reckless car driver last week.

足立 81-18 Black Estima

If I had a gun in the car, I would have used it. He must have gone through 5 red lights, was tail gating any car that got in his way and driving on the wrong side of the road.

Fight back!

Reckless car driver last week.

足立 81-18 Black Estima

If I had a gun in the car, I would have used it. He must have gone through 5 red lights, was tail gating any car that got in his way and driving on the wrong side of the road.

I informed this you uploaded to police headquarter.

Actually I found the article very balanced, a few wrong facts.... such as it is legal for a cyclist to ride the wrong way on a one way straight and also to undertake vechiles and that we are also allowed to cut red lights on a right hand junction. Apart from that it was well written and balanced.

Actually I found the article very balanced, a few wrong facts.... such as it is legal for a cyclist to ride the wrong way on a one way straight and also to undertake vechiles and that we are also allowed to cut red lights on a right hand junction. Apart from that it was well written and balanced.

1) abruptly comes out from corner
2) riding on the wrong side
3) riding without flash light in the dark
4) handling cellular on bike

those are worst maneuver of mamacharians.

But considering being cycle paths are not well prepared 2) is possiblely omitted.
I hope above four have to be emphasized on school curriculum. :mad:

Apart from that it was well written and balanced.

Even though balanced, the article still gave us a "black eye". The article in Nikkei Weekly was less balanced. It's troubling to find two such articles at about the same time in respectable "newspapers", which is why I brought them up here. We need to do something to mitigate the negative image that's increasingly appearing in the press.

Masa, the article in the Nikkei Weekly was not referring to mamacharies. It was referring to those on sportsbikes that can easily reach 30 to 40 km/hr - that means us.

I think it would help if we all tried to avoid the more blatant transgressions, such as weaving in and out of traffic (even though its hard not to do in the middle of Shibuya :eek: )

Apart from that it was well written and balanced.

Even though balanced, the article still gave us a "black eye". The article in Nikkei Weekly was less balanced. It's troubling to find two such articles at about the same time in respectable "newspapers", which is why I brought them up here. We need to do something to mitigate the negative image that's increasingly appearing in the press.

Masa, the article in the Nikkei Weekly was not referring to mamacharies. It was referring to those on sportsbikes that can easily reach 30 to 40 km/hr - that means us.

I think it would help if we all tried to avoid the more blatant transgressions, such as weaving in and out of traffic (even though its hard not to do in the middle of Shibuya :eek: )

I know it Mikata, but I'd like to refer to mamacharis which cause us daily troubles on the street. :(

I informed this you uploaded to police headquarter.

Now, I am only guessing, but are you saying that you have informed the police that the OP has put this information on the internet?

Sorry if I am way off point...

Now, I am only guessing, but are you saying that you have informed the police that the OP has put this information on the internet?

Sorry if I am way off point...

The driver of Black Estima was informed, James. :confused:

Back
Top Bottom