What's new

Backroads Boso (July 26th or 27th)

Route change...

So, drove part of the way down on Saturday to ride the middle section of the proposed route, looking to close my knowledge gap and link up the two routes I did know...but, I was thwarted by the forest police!

As any good cyclist would, I took the first "road closed" gate merely as an invitation to explore...after all, there was a gap just wide enough to accomodate a triple crank plus pedals--clearly, cyclists encouraged!

BUT...100m further up the road, there was a far more formidable barrier. Plastered with not one, not two, but three NO ENTRY signs, bristling with sharpened spikes above and to the sides, cliffs looming on the left and impassable gorge plummeting down to the right, this gate implied that they might actually be serious about the road being closed. So it was back to the more travelled road for me.

RoadClosed.jpg

The upshot is we can't close the loop from Kameya to 178 as planned. Instead, I suggest we carry on a bit further south and hit another of the Kameyama lakes and also Lake Mishima. This requires using the 24 for a few kms, which isn't a great cycling road, but we'll be off it quickly and back into the hills before we know it.

Climbing and distance should be about the same as the orginal route. I've drawn a new map (NOTE: Map starts from Lake Takataki, so the total distance is missing the first 20-30 km from the station)...

www.mapmyride.com/route/jp/chiba/721976139

Good news is I've now ridden most of this, so we can be sure it's accessible.

Participants updated

kpykc (Sergey) > Great to have you along. Looking forward to meeting you.

SteveT > Looking forward to riding with you again. Not sure if we'll follow the same gorge you're talking about. We do criss-cross a couple of rivers and deep lakes (including the Yoro Gorge), but a lot of the rindo's are along the ridges of the mountains.

Pete > Darn, sorry you won't make it. Have a good time in Hakuba.

Ash > Hope you can make it! The route IS very hilly; it's a different feel than the big toge rides on the west side. The climbs are relatively short, but there are a lot of them and they can wear your down by the end of the day. The longest sustained climb is probably only about 3 km, and max. elevation is only about 200 m and change. (New route elevation profile attached (starting from Lake Takataki)).

I'm serious about the moderate pace though; I'll be spinning slowly up a lot of these hills in the granny gear. The scouting ride on Saturday darn near killed me :)

Updated list of possible and confirmed:

chazzer (Charles)
astroman (Keren)
TrufflesEater (David)
Thomas
Richy152 (Lee)
kpykc (Sergey)
SteveT
Ash
Phil

Weather okay

Forcast says partly cloudy and sunny, so we should be good to go.

Here's the latest list of confirmed and possibles. Please let us know if you're on the list but cannot make it. Otherwise, see you Saturday.

chazzer (Charles)
astroman (Keren)
TrufflesEater (David)
Thomas
Richy152 (Lee)
kpykc (Sergey)
SteveT
Ash
YellowGiant (Travis)
Phil

Train from Tokyo Station

Phil, it all sounds good.

If anyone else wants to join me, I plan to take these trains out from Tokyo to Honda. Meet on the platform at the front car.

Tokyo
JR Rapid Airport Narita 08:10am - 08:49am

Chiba
JR Sotobo Line 08:54am - 09:08am (arrrive at Honda)

950 yen

As I am a TCC virgin, it will be good for me to meet up with some of you on the way out to Honda. I think I will ride to Tokyo eki from my place in Shirokanedai.

Cheers,

Keren

参加します

Thanks for all the organisation Phil:pray:. Please count me as a definate.

Looking forward to this.

Lee

p.s. Charles: Sobu from Nakano as with last time?

Hi there,

would like to join as well.

Thomas, do you plan to ride out there? If so, it would be great to meet somewhere (arakawa?) and ride together..

thanks,
chris

chris > Great, will look forward to meeting you.

p.s. Charles: Sobu from Nakano as with last time?

Realize you guys probably know this already, but just in case: you can transfer at Kinshicho to one of the express trains out (such as the one Keren is catchig). Might give you an extra 10 minutes shuteye...

Hello Chris!

Hi there,

Thomas, do you plan to ride out there? If so, it would be great to meet somewhere (arakawa?) and ride together..

thanks,
chris

Last time, Thomas rode out from near Arakawa, and we met up near La-La-Port - It's along Rte.357, which Thomas said he didn't like too much, but I think that's the only road from out that way.
I'll be at the same place (LaLa-Port) at 7:30: but from there, we'll take Phil's suggestion of Rte.15 - the same way we went to "Tokyo Mode" - to save us the extra traffic. Once we cut into Chiba city and find the right road, it's a straight run to Honda.
Leaving time from Arakawa - 6:30.
LaLa-Port: 7:30.
Honda - 8:53 (just guessing!)
Hope to see you there!
Travis

Clouds on ...

Saturday, but hopefully that'll cool things down a bit... :warau:

Forgot to mention that there aren't any decent places to pick up food after Honda until we get down south of Kameyama (60 kms+), so don't forget to bring fuel for the jersey pockets.

Latest list:

chazzer (Charles)
astroman (Keren)
TrufflesEater (David)
Thomas
Richy152 (Lee)
kpykc (Sergey)
SteveT
Ash
YellowGiant (Travis)
chris
Phil

Hi there,

thanks,
chris

Hi Chris,

Travis (his wife-to-be permitting), Truffles (AFAIK) and I shall be riding out to Honda Sta. We could definitely meet up somewhere along Arakawa. I would like to avoid R357 as far as possible, as I had a really close encounter with an extra wide semi-trailer last time. That speeding twit nearly blew me off my wheels... :eek:uch:

I am in! :D

I will be arriving on the 9.08 train too, so hopefully meet up with some folks.

So put me down for a definite!

thanks for organising phil, looking forward to it!

Ash

I'm in as well !

And Lee, Charles - if you know what time you're leaving Nakano do let me know - I'll be on the same train. Should be able to scope out some space for a kip until Chiba Stn.

Looking forward to this - and I won't pretend that those magic words from Phil, "moderately paced", have nothing to do with it ....

Cheers
Steve

Nakano

07:49 for those that meet there (Lee, Steve ?)

see you there...

chazzer

Logistics...

This is for Chris, Thomas & David (Truffs):
Here's the map that I sent Thomas last time for our meeting-place - It's right on the corner Rte.357 Rte.8/15 (we'll turn right onto R15).
http://www.mapmyrun.com/run/japan/la-la-port/26126079

The next one is the route we took to "Cycle Mode" - It follows R357, and then turns onto Rte.15:
http://www.mapmyrun.com/run/japan/to...lace/374604929

From there though, we'll head straight down R15 until we come to the end of Makuhari-Island, and turn left towards R357 again. It's about 5-6km to Chiba city from there.

For some of the guys coming by train:
We will swing by Chiba station between 8:00-8:15, for those who don't want to deal with an extra train-change (nori-kae), and who would like a little "warm-up" ride for the final 12km along Rte.20 to "Honda".
Once we are on-site, Phil will take over the navigation, and we can all sit back & relax:D

*Note: If no-one expresses any interest in riding from Chiba, let us know so that we can by-pass the station and continue on our way without any mix-ups, please! T

>Thomas: I DO have the fiancee's permission this time! See you at La-La-Port at 7:30.
>Chris: I got your keitai number via PM - Thanks! I'll send you my number too!
>Keren (Astroman): Sorry, I forgot about you. If you're planning to ride in as well, please check the maps above; and we hope to see you there - Chiba Station just after 8am, or at Honda with everyone-else just after 9:00! T
Travis

May be scattered showers tomorrow...

but shouldn't stop us. See you all tomorrow.

Confirmation

Sign me up as absolutely most definitely in now! :)
See you all at Honda st.

I'd like to join the ride. But I am very sorry, I am still in Shizuoka.:(

Enjoy the ride!:D
楽しんでねぇ~!

Overslept :(

I am really sorry about not being able to come to this ride. I woke up at 8.00 but it was already too late (I knew I shouldn't have stayed up so late watching that boring TDF stage :) ) So I went to do my usual loop at Hashimoto (discount lunch at last!).

Hope everyone who made it to the ride had much fun.

Back
Top Bottom