What's new

Backroads Boso (July 26th or 27th)

Phil

Maximum Pace
Sep 1, 2007
Just wondering if anyone wants to join me for a moderate-paced run (see below for def.) down some rarely travelled back roads of southern Chiba?

The idea is to explore of the forest roads that twist through the hills of Kimitsu and neighboring areas. The route will cover the same geographical area as the original Hilly Boso ride and follow-up sado-masochists' training run, but south of Takataki Lake we will strike off into the hills and hinterland to explore the back roads of Boso, covering some of the pioneering route that AlanW explored in previous years.

Here's the map (note that some of the roads are not shown on the Google maps, but they do exist according to my mapple and AlanW.)

http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/japan/chiba/814550579729

I scouted some of the roads this weekend and they are fantastic, leading deep into rolling countryside and offering great views of forested valleys and gorges. Even saw a monkey crossing the road.

Details
Start point and end point: Honda Station, Chiba
Date: July 26th (Sat)
Time: Arrive 9:10 AM, rollout 9:30 AM.
Distance: A hilly 120km or so.

Note about Pacing
Thinking of a "moderate road bike pace" for this one, a step or two below the usual TCC fast rides on the west side. This is basically the same idea as the Tour de First Climb that Deej proposed a month or so ago and was unfortunately cancelled due to weather. I'm still nursing/coming back from a back sprain, so it will be my first long hilly ride in quite a while. Also, I haven't ridden the route before and time may be needed for peering at maps etc.

This might be a good ride for anyone (especially east-siders and Chiba dwellers), who have been considering joining a TCC ride but have been worried about keeping up with the more challenging toge assaults. The route IS challenging (up and down, up and down, up and down) and the pace won't be completely "nonbiri", but if you have some experience on the road bike the modest distance and pace should be doable. As Deej said, an opportunity for "newbies and lurkers"!

I'm in !

Phil - this sounds like a very good day out. Count me in.

Thanks for posting.....

chazzer

I am in too

Always wanted to ride Boso, so count me in. Either day will work for me, with Sunday my preference.

Cheers,

Keren

Great, looking forward to riding with you guys, again (chazzer) and for the first time (Keren).

Forget to mention, I'll bring my car to the station so if you're coming with luggage/bike bags/civvies you can stash your stuff (no lockers at the station).

How about 9:10 arrival at the station, roll out 9:30-9:45? Couple of goodish train options here.

Phil, I'm also very interested in joining your tour. I might be riding out to Honda, but would like to avoid the terribly crowded R357. There were too many close encounters with trucks last time I was riding out with Travis. Still figuring out my options.

Anyhow, please count me in. :)

Great Thomas, as long as you don't mind pedalling slow and/or waiting for my creaky self every few kms!

I might be riding out to Honda, but would like to avoid the terribly crowded R357. There were too many close encounters with trucks last time I was riding out with Travis.

357 is grim, isn't it?

This is how I get to Makuhari and Funabashi when I cycle into town.

http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/japan/chiba/640422723909

It adds a couple of kms but it's a LOT more pleasant than R357. The 15 is nice and fast with a wide shoulder. After the 15 ends beyond Makuhari at the river, you need to duck inland through an industrial/wharf area, but the traffic is usually relaxed and slow, especially on the weekends. Hope this helps.

(Oh, getting to the 15 can be a little tricky... I suggest crossing over the main road under the highway just after you pass btween the race track and LaLa Port and then take the sidewalk for the 1/2 km or so to the next intersection, which is the 15. Or, you can loop down round the back of Ikea and get to it that way.)

50/50 if it's Saturday... My brother may come along too...Sunday I have to take him to the airport. We will be in Nagano the weekend before and meeting some long lost school friends as well...we may be still drinking with them on the Friday night (25th).

We'll decide that Friday afternoon. If he has a late flight Sunday..we may consider Sunday as well....

Very long shots at the moment...

...after the 15 ends beyond Makuhari at the river, you need to duck inland through an industrial/wharf area, but the traffic is usually relaxed and slow, especially on the weekends. Hope this helps.

Thank you, Phil, that helped a lot indeed! :)

My preference is Saturday, by the way, as Sunday is usually dedicated to work. :eek:uch:

Saturday!

So, just to make it official:

Start: Honda Station (誉田), Chiba (South Exit)
Date: July 26th (Sat)
Start Time: Station at 9:10 AM, rollout by 9:30 AM
Finish Time: Probably back at Honda Station no later than 4 PM.

Keren > Hope the Saturday is okay for you, too.
Pete > Really hope you and your brother can make it.

Elevation map

Not super accurate because I drew the route across some blank spaces on the map ("here be monsters"), but just to give an idea:

If it's going to be cloudy and cool then

I'd like to join this ride please.

Lee

Hi Keren,

Good luck in the Fuji tozan!

Philip

Phillip,

I whimped out from the full race to the top. Just doing the 15km from Fujiyoshida to the 5th station. 11km road and 4km trail and stairs. I thrive on races like this! But having hiked to the top before, the full Fuji tozan is too hard core for me.

Keren

Participants

Provisional list of confirmed or possible so far (let me know if I'm missing anyone):

chazzer (Charles)
astroman (Keren)
TrufflesEater (David)
Thomas
Edogawakikkoman (Pete) and brother
Richy152 (Lee)
Phil

I loved the Boso ride last time and I'd like to join you this time as well.
Count me as "most likely certainly possible"! :D

Phil,

Count me in as well, please. I've always found myself cycling through golf-courses and people's gardens :eek: when I've tried to go off the beaten track myself. Looking forward to your local knowledge! By the way, I do remember quite a stunning narrow gorge I followed for a while - any idea which one I might be talking about, and if we'll be going through it this time as well ?

Cheers
Steve

May have to do this route solo one day... I have to be home on the Saturday morning to meet somebody. My brother & I may do a local ride that afternoon.
Just packed the car...heading up to the hills in Hakuba for 3 or 4 days...
Have a nice boso...

hi!

Your stage profile looked a bit scary, but I am interested. I will have to see on he wife front :gun: about it but I am more worried about how long it is going to take me to get to Honda station in the morning! Will check it out and let you know, but the company does sound great!

cheers

Ash

Not super accurate because I drew the route across some blank spaces on the map ("here be monsters"), but just to give an idea:

Phil! Exactly how many km is it up that big nasty looking thing in the middle?:eek:

Ash

Back
Top Bottom