What's new

Back in the saddle . . .

Philip

Speeding Up
Feb 15, 2007
Saturday 12 January 2008 - Ride into deepest, steepest Chichibu

Having consumed too many mince pies, turkey, christmas pudding, chocolates, wine etc., etc. - I need a gentle start to cycling in the New Year. If you are like minded why not join me?

Here are your options:
  1. 180km from Futako Tamagawa station to deepest Chichibu return
  2. 80km from Ome station to deepest Chichibu return
  3. 130km from Ome station to deepest Chichibu to Futaku Tamagawa

Pace should be moderate with some steep climbs for those who want to 'strut their stuff'

Meeting times:
Futako Tamagawa Station 07:00AM
Ome Station 09:00AM

Repondez s'il-vous-plait

Philip

Repondez s'il-vous-plait.

Je vais sans aucun doute participer à ce tour-là! :D

Welcome back, Philip. We shall be glad to help you drop the extra pounds. Got a few of them myself.

Oh, and it's got to be option 1.

Ooh, this sounds fun. I have to work from 6:00 that night, however, which could be a problem. Er, a quelle heure, roughly, do you think you will be rolling back into Futako-Tamagawa?

Deej

Finish time . . .

Hi Deej,

I anticipate arrival back to Futako Tamagawa between 16:00 and 17:00. Christoph and I usually arrive by 16:00. If we are running late you can make a dash for Tokyo from Ome using R420 and R20.

The course is out and back so you can turn round anytime that suits you.

Cheers,

Philip

Finish time

Thanks Philip. 16:00-ish would be fine for me; and as you say, I can always turn back early if need be.

Now it's just a matter of getting the green light from my wife. :warau:

I'll let you know in advance if I'll be joining.

Just curious -- what route do you plan on taking to Ome?

Deej

Route to Ome . . .

Hi Deej,

I planned to follow the Tamagawa River for 40km from Futako Tamagawa and the road for the final 10km to Ome.

Cheers,

Philip

Saturday 12 January 2008 - Ride into deepest, steepest Chichibu

Here are your options:
  1. 180km from Futako Tamagawa station to deepest Chichibu return
  2. 80km from Ome station to deepest Chichibu return
  3. 130km from Ome station to deepest Chichibu to Futaku Tamagawa

Philip

Philip

I am just curious. What do you mean by deepest Chichibu? What part of Chichibu ?

Minoru Arai

Strong work guys you must be freezing. I sitting here on Saipan 28C. 100KM is a good start in Saipan.

Come down and ride here. Lots of hills to greet you

Stealth

Philip

I am just curious. What do you mean by deepest Chichibu? What part of Chichibu ?

Minoru Arai

Hi Arai-san,

My honest and sincere answer is "deepest" means I have no idea what part of Chichibu we are in but I do know we are in Chichibu somewhere. You may think me cavalier for leading a ride when I have no idea to it's exact location. However, there are mitigating circumstances. Allow me to explain.

A friend guided me along the course last year. It was a fun ride. However my map of Tokyo gives only cursory information on the Chichibu area with few if any landmarks being named. Hence I am unable to tell you the exact location and therefore refer to it as "Deepest Chichibu" - as early explorers without maps referred to inland Africa.

Though not ideal, I do know however where to turn right and left along the course. Indeed, Christoph and I have subsequently ridden the course twice without mishap. I would like to know where we have been. I suspect you know the area well - which is no doubt what is driving your curiousity. If you would be so kind, perhaps you could answer your original question for me - "what part of Chichibu (are we cycling to)?"

Based on where we turn left and right :D I have drawn a map of the route for your reference:

http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/japan/chichibu/295590

So where are we going? :)

Thanks for your help Arai-san,

Philip

Strong work guys you must be freezing. I sitting here on Saipan 28C. 100KM is a good start in Saipan.

Come down and ride here. Lots of hills to greet you

Stealth

Hi Stealth,

Unfortunately, Deej needs to be back before 17:00. Therefore, getting to the airport, flying to Saipan, doing the ride, flying back to Japan and getting back to Futako Tamagawa before 17:00 looks challenging :rolleyes:

Philip

Participants to date . . .

So far we have:

1. Thomas
  2. Chazzer
  3. Philip
  4. Deej (subject to spousal approval)
  5. Christoph (95% confidence)

Cheers,

Philip

I reckon I might make this one too...

Hey Philip,
Welcome back!
Please put me down for this ride - I'll ride out to Futago-Tamagawa with Thomas.
See you then!
Travis

G'day all.

Just back from Australia where it was summer! Took my bike with and managed to hammer out some solid miles with a few mates back home. Did a few rides named 'The Bondi Loop', 'The Snake Pit' etc. It was bloody nice to get back into the summer kit.

Would love to join you guys on this ride but not sure if I can make it. What time do you think you'll be back in Tokyo Phillip?

Deja vu

Hi Mike,

I anticipate arrival back to Futako Tamagawa between 16:00 and 17:00. Christoph and I usually arrive by 16:00. If we are running late you can make a dash for Tokyo from Ome using R420 and R20.

The course is out and back so you can turn round anytime that suits you.

Cheers,

Philip

Green Light

I'm good to go for Saturday, but the weather forecast for that day for is looking iffy. At this point, Monday -- a national holiday -- is looking like the best bet for dry cycling this weekend. But of course that can change. I'll be riding on whichever day is dry.

Deej

Weather

Agreed - I would rather wait for the best day of the three. Definitely not keen on a long wet ride :eek:

Charles

Weather . . .

What happened to the weather? The Japan Meteorological Agency is predicting an 80% chance of rain and snow on Saturday ( http://www.jma.go.jp/en/week ). The forecast for Monday 14th is much improved.

Is anyone* opposed to moving the ride from Saturday 12th to Monday 14th? *(Thomas, Chazzer, Travis, Mike, Deej, Christoph).

Cheers,

Philip

Monday is OK

for me too !!

Charles

Back
Top Bottom